Xzent radio system

ColinM50

New (to us, but only ten months old) motorhome a Chausson 788 has a Xzent radio sat nav system fitted. And fairly good it is too. However as I mentioned previously I can't play CD's so have transferred some onto a memory stick and tried to play them. But the USB icon on the menu is greyed out so doesn't recognise it.  Took it to a Ford dealer and of course they say it's not a Ford issue, they claim go back to the dealer we bought it from. Dealer are going to have a look next week but I hold little hope they'll fix it. Trigano, Chausson's owner are French based and I can't find a UK address for them.

I'm trying to convince SWMBO that we should visit the factory in the Rhone valley but so far she's just giving me a blank look and a gallic shrug of her shoulders.

Anybody and clues or suggestions as to how to progress this? 

There have been a number of queries about the XZENT installation in recent vans, and mainly about USB usage.

Depending on model (but relevant to most) the unit has the capability for 2 USB connections via (supplied) extension leads which should be connected to the back of the radio when it is installed.

The lead(s) are then terminated in an accessible position (on the dash, and often in the glovebox) ready to receive a USB device.

One of them is (on the latest models) I think dedicated to system updating and won't play USB media.

So, if you've found one connection that doesn't work, look for the second and try that. I suspect the USB option will only "un-grey" when a valid USB stick is placed in the correct lead/socket of the two.

Most people have managed to locate the second lead, but I've read some reports of the lead(s) not having been installed with the radio (something a dealer should fix).

Of course there is a possibility that you've found the correct lead but the USB contains music in a wrong format.

Colin,

I've returned from the continent now, so can research and confirm my original thoughts somewhat better.

I suspect with a newish van your Xzent will be an XF-270/275/285.

All of these have two USB connections on the rear designed for (supplied) extension leads.

One of these is dedicated to SW updates and Apple Carplay/Android Auto only. The other one is for the connection of media on a USB stick.

If you have a Ford base (it could be Fiat or Ford on your 'van) the SW update one is supposed to be connected to a/the Ford standard dashboard USB slot, and if you're using this, then it won't play media.

Both USB extension leads on Fiat, and the Media USB lead on Ford, are designed to be led somewhere accessible for you to access them. Generally, they tend to be terminated in the glovebox, but they could be anywhere in a dash cubby.

You've obviously found a USB socket. If it's the Ford one in the dash you need to look for the other one. If it's Fiat, look for the second one in the same area. it is likely simply to be a trailing lead with a USB socket on the end (though may be secured to the dash/glovebox/whatever.

As I said above, others have experienced similar issues. They've either managed to find the second lead eventually, or they've ascertained that it wasn't connected when the unit was fitted.

Thanks v. much Robin. Took the m/h to the dealer today along with a print out of this thread which he read without comment. Then took the radio out and the cover on top, fiddled about with some thirty cables and connections and plugged the USB socket in and it works OK now.

So job done and once again many thanks for your suggestion/advice😁🤏 

• 2 months later...

Just to help other users. I have a 2023 Chausson. The USB in the rear of the radio is connected and the label states S/W update and Media. My USB stick does actually play music through the usb socket on the front of the dashboard. There is no second USB connected to the rear of the unit. My problem now is trying to get Android Auto to work. The unit's face states Android Link, which just mirrors my phone, not what Android Auto is supposed to look like. Hey ho! mor problems.

• 4 months later...

Sorry - a bit late to this thread, but hopefully it will help others. I have a Zxent X-F270 and the reason that you can't play USB video media whilst the vehicle is in motion. The way that this is detected is via the handbrake signal on the back of the unit - yes you need to remove it head unit. By connecting this to ground, the unit thinks that the handbrake is on - and will then play video media. But don't do it whilst you're driving !