Is there a way to work out your tolls

michele

Ouch Brian - that hurt my brain cell. My first attempt - using my 40 years plus ago schoolgirl French - saw me putting in "pietons" which I now realise does not mean toll roads, nor motorhome with small car on trailer!! - Something about the error message saying routes for pietons only go up to 20km!!!!!!

This site gave a better clue as to tolls, for motorhomes, so that was a plus - I think we will probably change the tolls on the (same) route from ViaMichelin print out - my English is definitely better than my French.

Thanks again to you and to Syd - I hope Michelle finds the sites and info. as useful as we will. This is where forums come into their own. B-)

On the French peages the price of the toll is shown clearly on a display after you hand your ticket over. We always use cash cause its a lot easier than trying to verify your PIN number.

Spanish booths display the price on a seperate sign not on the Booth. Its a little confusing as you would expect them to be the same.

Some other advice is : Have some spare cash instantly avilable as you appraoch a peage START booth. Some peage sections have set amount and you pay as you enter the system and not as you leave. Usually they are small amounts like 50 cents / 2 euros.

Rgds

Guest caraprof
tonyishuk - 2007-07-25 5:17 PM On the French peages the price of the toll is shown clearly on a display after you hand your ticket over. We always use cash cause its a lot easier than trying to verify your PIN number. Spanish booths display the price on a seperate sign not on the Booth. Its a little confusing as you would expect them to be the same. Some other advice is : Have some spare cash instantly avilable as you appraoch a peage START booth. Some peage sections have set amount and you pay as you enter the system and not as you leave. Usually they are small amounts like 50 cents / 2 euros. Rgds

I think that you'll find that you don't need your PIN, I've certainly never been asked to sign or enter a PIN when paying a toll.

I suspect that the operators have decided that the small amount of fraud that they'll get is better than enormous queues of traffic whilst we all enter our numbers.

Paying by credit card at a toll booth is quick and easy and I thoroughly recommend it. It can actually be quicker than paying cash and messing about with change.

Same here, never been asked for a pin.

It's very quick and you have a record of your tolls. A word of warning, if you use a section of peage and there are two or three tolls to pay they might show up on your statement as one payment.

When you approach a section when you pay on entering there's usually a sign on the right stating the toll, usually only the car price is marked but it will give you a rough idea of the cost.

Don

michele - 2007-07-25 5:48 PM

How on earth do you not enter a pin ? how does it get authorised intriqued .Anyone ould have it and you say that you don't sign either ???lost

Michele,

Stop worrying, I can assure you the system works, they swipe it and that's it.

We have never had a problem all the years we have been using CC on the peage and that's going back many years.

Don

Guest caraprof

The toll authorities have obviously done a deal with the card companies to exclude using your PIN.

If you go back to pre-pin days your card was authorised by a signature but the credit card company never saw that signature, only the retailer saw it. When the retailer put through the transaction the computer passed it based just on credit availibility and assumed that it was the correct person because the dealer would be checking the signature.

The only time that a signature is checked is when there's a dispute on the transaction, such as a stolen card.

So the toll companies opt out of the 'chip and pin' system and take a chance that every person is the person listed on the card. If it's a stolen card they will probably lose out but what have they lost? It's not as though they've supplied goods for which they've paid, they've just got a few people travelling free on their road.

They must conclude that this is preferable to massive queues at the toll booths, which would drive people away from the toll roads and they'd make even less money.

I'm with Syd on a reluctance to use my credit card abroad. I always take it with me as a back up, but use cash where I can.

I've just had to destroy mine after a call from the bank a couple of days ago. Someone, somewhere, cloned my visa card, or used the number, and starting making purchases. The bank picked up the unusual (for me) purchases and rang me to query them.

Great web site by the way Syd. I've run off my route for my trip.

Guest caraprof
bob b - 2007-07-25 7:51 PM I'm with Syd on a reluctance to use my credit card abroad. I always take it with me as a back up, but use cash where I can. I've just had to destroy mine after a call from the bank a couple of days ago. Someone, somewhere, cloned my visa card, or used the number, and starting making purchases. The bank picked up the unusual (for me) purchases and rang me to query them. Great web site by the way Syd. I've run off my route for my trip.

So why do you use your credit card in this country? There's just as much risk here as anywhere! And that risk by the way is absolutely tiny. As you have already found out the banks now monitor for unusual transactions and the problem that's occurred with your credit card will not have cost you one penny.

I find it quite staggering that people in the 21st Century will wander round with wads of cash, for which there is no redress if it's lost or stolen, no product guarantee should a firm go bust (which you get with a card) and the possibility of attracting thugs who could seriously injure you when they mug you for the money that they've seen you tendering in the hypermarket or filling station etc.

The mind boggles!

It is great news for me that anyone has been helped in a small way by something that I have put forward. I have gained so much from this forum since I first joined and now I have put just a little back, feels good, thanks

Guest caraprof
Syd - 2007-07-25 8:24 PM Hi caraprof Just "boggle" then and leave us neanderthals to our own thing.

You should take notice Syd of what happened to the Neanderthals!

caraprof - 2007-07-25 9:16 PM
Syd - 2007-07-25 8:24 PM Hi caraprof Just "boggle" then and leave us neanderthals to our own thing.

You should take notice Syd of what happened to the Neanderthals!

Don't tell me, They all bought motorhomes !!

caraprof - 2007-07-25 8:11 PMSo why do you use your credit card in this country? There's just as much risk here as anywhere! And that risk by the way is absolutely tiny. As you have already found out the banks now monitor for unusual transactions and the problem that's occurred with your credit card will not have cost you one penny.

I find it quite staggering that people in the 21st Century will wander round with wads of cash, for which there is no redress if it's lost or stolen, no product guarantee should a firm go bust (which you get with a card) and the possibility of attracting thugs who could seriously injure you when they mug you for the money that they've seen you tendering in the hypermarket or filling station etc.

The mind boggles!

Everyone knows cards have advantages and disadvantages and it is a simple matter of personal choice based on your own personal circumstances. We have yet to make major a purchase when abroad and think it is unlikely that we will do so, we already have everything we need anyway.We make our major purchases in the UK in order to support the UKIn the UK we have cut the use of our cards to an absolute minimum. You can easilly live without them, they are like drugs and you become dependent on them as you obviously are and we were too.Credit card crime in the UK and Europe is (I think) getting on for £1 billion a year, maybe more, and the banks admit that it is GROWING, the banks try to suppress the correct figures even if they know what they are. The total amount of transactions carried out on cards makes £1 billion look small I know but my wifes card has cost me £318 through fraud this year with no sympathy from the "ever vigilent" banks. Since this country is now filling up with all the less attractive members of all the other European countries this crime is expected to be the major growth area in the UK and Europe. They cannot work, dont get benefits but have to eat so where is thier money to come from ?? One more point, why should you automatically assume that because I do not carry a card in Europe I am the sort of person who pulls out, or even carries, large amounts of notes. You do your thing and I will do mine

Archived