Motorhome satnav app

soulman

This link may be of useful.

https://thegapdecaders.com/motorhome-navigation-apps/

For my cars and motorhomes I've always relied on an 'ordinary' Garmin sat-nav for driving directions and I've never felt a need to specify vehicle dimensions. None of my three coachbuilt motorhomes was particularly large (the biggest was 6.49m long x 2.35m wide x 2.76m high) but as road width is not mapped (though road-width restrictions should be) I couldn't see the benefits. Your 2021 Roller Team T590's stated dimensions are 5.99m long x 2.35m wide x 2.95m high, so it's hardly huge. (I'm not sure how many UK low bridges your motorhome would not pass safely through, but you could check using GOOGLE maps.)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/d/viewer?mid=14LIoLXZYXIKEqcYGj_00INpdCw7T_akY&hl=en_GB&ll=54.046647101054006%2C-3.2578634057795046&z=4

Regarding sat-nav/app trustworthiness, my house is off a narrow single-track country lane with overhanging trees and an entry with a prominent no-through-road sign, but the lane's obvious unsuitability for very large vehicles has not prevented several massive 40-tonne articulated lorries from driving up it and then having to reverse out, 'pruning' the trees as they go. Presumably the lorry-drivers were basing their decision on a UK post-code and navigating via a phone or sat-nav, but common sense should have told them that entering the lane was a major mistake.

A GOOGLE-search on car navigation system vs smartphone may also be worthwhile.

• Like 1

You could have a look at CoPilot GPS which I've got. Don't know how much it costs now but it used to be free or you could upgrade for a one off payment of only a few pounds. I've also got a Garmin Camper into which I can put the van size into but unfortunately it doesn't stop being sent down some very narrow roads.

• Like 1

Soulman hello

I use a free App on my Android.... Map factor Navigator. 

https://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/

You can't input length/weight/width stuff on the free app but that does not worry me. I use my Mk1 eywballs to keep me out of trouble!

Takes a bit of getting used to start with as there is no real manual. BUT it's worth the effort. It's a powerful app, constantly updated and it does the job well for me and has never let me down over about 5 years. 

Don't need any connections as it works on GPS.

Jeremy

• Like 1

Lol What happens if the Sat Nav' goes down? , Strange we all got around for years without them Now maybe both is a good idea , but like picking a good Sat Nav' is a little like picking a good map , it's all down to personal choice and what one is comfortable to work with  Main thing is enjoy the trip 

• Like 1

I only rely on a standard TOM TOM  sat nav in all my Motorhomes the largest being an 8 metre tag axle Hymer  and travel extensively in the UK and Mainland Europe and Morocco never having any problems with that and the TOM TOM. if I do not like the look of a Road or Lane JANE [ Miss TOM TOM ] hee hee tells me to take I just say SILLY GIRL and continue  driving till she tells me otherwise, all very easy,

Once in HOLLAND she told me to take the FERRY which turned out to be little more than a Rowing boat , but the up side of that is that we stayed the night river side  and had a lovely view of the comings and goings on the River loved it .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, onecal said:

Lol What happens if the Sat Nav' goes down? , Strange we all got around for years without them Now maybe both is a good idea , but like picking a good Sat Nav' is a little like picking a good map , it's all down to personal choice and what one is comfortable to work with  Main thing is enjoy the trip 

I can answer your question :

A few years ago an item was delivered to my house by a man in a car.  Ten minutes later I noticed that he was still sitting outside in his car so I asked him if he had a problem.

His problem was that his sat-nav had packed up and he had absolutely no idea where he was, or where he had to go next.

We consulted one of my user friendly technology free maps to let him know the former, and a phone call to his office sorted out his next destination.

Often wondered if he ever got there.

🙂

• Like 1

Since 2008 I have used 3 Garmin sat-navs.  The only reason for changing from one to another was technological improvement, mainly in terms of device speed, which brought advantages in use.  All had full European mapping, (as that was where we did most of our motorhoming) with lifetime map updates.  I have never used any other brand, so the following reflects only how I've used my Garmins around a good chunk of central and southern Europe and the UK.

The main reason for choosing Garmin products was that Garmin provide two free mapping programs for use on a computer, both of which, once installed, are recognised by the Garmin device's map updater allowing the mapping to be downloaded to the computer, when it can be viewed on screen and routes planned, saved, and, if required, transferred to the device.

The great advantage of this facility, IMO, is that one can then build and view databases of Points of Interest (POIs) that can also be transferred to the device using another, freely downloadable, Garmin program (POI Loader).  The reason for doing this is that downloaded/quoted POIs (even those embedded in the mapping) are frequently inaccurate.

For example, for campsites, they may be for the site reception office, or a pitch somewhere on site, neither of which is so close to the road that the sat-nav directs one to the actual entrance.  On one celebrated occasion directing me down a road that passed close by the campsite, but on the wrong side of a river!  It seemed the quoted co-ordinates had been given from someone's pitch at the back of the site, whereas the site entrance was in a parallel road the other side of both site and river.

Once the map and the POI coordinates are visible on the mapping, it becomes easy, with a little help from Google Maps (Satellite View), to identify the site entrance and move the POI to the correct location.  So, the reward is accurate POI's.  The same is true for filling stations, supermarkets, attractions, car parks etc. etc. 

Correcting POI locations takes very little time.  Right clicking (PC) on the on-screen map in close proximity to the POI results in a "pop up" invitation to "View Satellite Imagery on maps.google,com", which opens Google maps in satellite view at the location selected, when one can see the target location with (usually! 🙂) sufficient clarity to verify its accuracy.  If it then needs correcting, double clicking (PC) the POI will open its properties which will reveal its coordinates.  Next open Google Earth (If you don't yet have it you'll need Google Earth Pro for this bit),  copy the POI coordinates, paste them into the search box top left of the Google Earth screen, and then click "Search".  Google Earth will then centre on, and zoom to, exactly those coordinates.  It is then possible, by clicking on the "map tack symbol" at the left hand end of the function bar immediately above the Google Earth view, to place a tack at exactly the desired position, when its coordinates will be visible in a separate on-screen box, and use these to correct the original POI coordinates.  Once that is OK'd, the POI will jump to the correct location on the map.  You can set the sat-nav to go to that location in the confidence that you will be directed to within about two metres of the coordinates.  If you then can't then see the entrance to whatever you want to access - you shouldn't be driving!  😄 

It sounds complicated, and at first can be a bit frustrating until you master the not particularly intuitive GUIs of both products, but your reward is accurate guidance to the actual entrance to whatever establishment, down whatever road.  Very useful when in strange and unfamiliar territory, and allows speed to be adjusted, and turn indicators to be operated well, in advance, so giving following traffic adequate notice of your intentions.  Once you are familiar with the above steps, switching between the on-screen Garmin map, Google maps in satellite view, and Google Earth, takes only a few seconds.  This, to be best of my knowledge, is not possible using phone apps or other brands of Sat-Nav.

The two Garmin programs are MapSource, which I default to despite the fact that Garmin no longer "supports" it, and BaseCamp, which runs on Apple computers as well as PCs.  MapSource does take a bit of learning, is a little prone to odd crashes, but  it makes the process of creating and maintaining POI databases far easier than I have found with BaseCamp - so I can't comment on whether all of the above is possible in BasCamp - though I expect others may well do so.  Warning: I'm using Windows 10, and have no idea of whether MapSource will run on a Windows 12 machine!  😉

AFAIK, none of the available mapping used for navigation purposes includes road width data - only legal restrictions on vehicle widths so, there being many miles of narrow lanes etc. without legal width restrictions, you will not get reliable routing that avoids narrow roads.  To be sure, you need to check the route on a computer looking at road numbers and/or Google earth etc. to gain the best idea of what will be involved, bearing in mind that secondary roads (UK B roads and equivalent abroad), and anything above, are generally deemed suitable for buses and trucks unless specifically signed with height, weight, or width restrictions.

• Like 1

Ah well Malc d

Hopefully he did , yes the Sat-Nav's  are great and nowadays you would feel lost without them , and so simple (once you get used to the unit you prefer)  Back to the OP question , Check out the reviews and pick one you think may suit you best , it may take a few different ones that you may find best to suit you needs as it a personal thing 

Like some like Garmins and others like Tom Tom , some like Caravans some like Motorhomes All good as long as they work to your needs and you enjoy 

Regards

• Like 1

OK LOL

Back to the OP question , Check out the reviews and pick one you think may suit you best , it may take a few different ones that you may find best to suit you needs as it a personal thing 

Be it App or Sat-Nav , whatever suits you best , again personal choice ,

Regards

Edited by onecal
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, laimeduck said:

The OP asked for a Sat Nav APP for his phone!

Absolutely Jeremy.  But, as ever, there is more than one way to skin a cat (with apologies to cat lovers 🙂) and each choice has its pros and cons.  Soulman also said they wanted the sat-nav for UK use - but many decide after a few years UK motorhoming to extend their motorhoming across the Channel.

As "soulman" said they were new to motorhoming, and their post seemed also to imply limited experience of sat-navs (whether via 'phone apps or navigation specific devices), it seems potentially helpful to interpret the query liberally and broaden the scope of replies to address pros and cons, based on experience, of alternative navigation options - in case there may be advantages/disadvantages that they have not, to date, have considered.

The one part of Soulman's post that it seems we all agree upon is that no currently available sat-nav reliably avoids narrow roads, although most (if not all) of those that allow vehicle dimensions to be entered should, by implication, not propose routes where the vehicle would infringe legal weight, height, or width restrictions.  I can't comment on that as I've never had a sat-nav with that facility, but I'm sure others will have relevant experience and can say how well it works.

• Like 1

Appreciating the specific request from the OP (this is more for the benefit of others in the future), having recently upgraded to a new A class, I wanted a Sat Nav that I could input vehicle dimensions in so that it could route me accordingly. I didn't really want another piece of tech so started researching Apps. However, I then came across this which had a number of favourable reviews on Youtube

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QV77MMH?psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_ct_E0VZ9WKQ4HD800FY23H6

Using the Amazon link in this link

https://www.ohrex.com/gb/7-inch-sat-navs/13-169-sat-nav-n76.html

and using the promo code MIKE10 (from one of the Youtuber reviews), I got 10% off. May or may not still work.

I've been very impressed

• Like 1