I just had yet another Senior Moment. Tell us about yours!

Vixter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the word comes from the Greek, octopodes is an alternative but rarely used. Octopi would only be correct if the word had a Latin origin which it does not.

Not convinced that Wikipedia is an authority on english language. 8-)

Phil.

Ah, but Mr Wiki then goes on to say:

The Oxford English Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi, and octopodes in order of descending frequency of use.

Have just checked OED online & they say that it is Greek & therefore isnt octopi although it has common usage.

So I guess Mr Wiki & I am wrong *-)

Philman - 2007-08-07 3:47 PM Very close Thai, Scampi is the plural of an Italian word scampo meaning lobster or prawn. B-) :-D Phil.

Phil

Staying with the thread, I'll put it down as a senior moment, but my excuse is that Thai is my mother/native language, English my second language, apologies as it's all greek or Latin(did this at school) to me.

Amo, amas, amat, amamum, amatis amant!!!

Thai

Sitting in the office and remembering the little job I was supposed to do the last time I returned from a trip in the motorhome. Leaving the office, walking along the landing, down the stairs, through the hall, down the driveway, rummaging about in the motorhome, fiddling with this and that and returning to the office. Five minutes later realising that I haven't done the job I was supposed to do while I was in the motorhome. Aaaaargh!

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2007-08-10 5:21 PM

Sitting in the office and remembering the little job I was supposed to do the last time I returned from a trip in the motorhome. Leaving the office, walking along the landing, down the stairs, through the hall, down the driveway, rummaging about in the motorhome, fiddling with this and that and returning to the office. Five minutes later realising that I haven't done the job I was supposed to do while I was in the motorhome. Aaaaargh!

Bob

At least you got to the motorhome,I usually forget before I get out the chair.

Mick H.

Archived