Ford transit 2.0L

dawki

Hi all I hope your all well

I am seriously looking at changing my current Auto-trail on a Mercedes base motorhome for a newer motorhome 

I see there are quite a lot now built on the new transit and I was wondering if any of you have one and could share your likes/dislikes

do you have manual or Auto /horse power /MPG etc?
very many thanks in advance 

Our van is based on a fiat with the 9 speed auto on a 140hp engine,  but we have 5 x 16 seaters based on the Ford 1 Iveco and a merc 

the transits have all covered over 250,000 miles and generally speaking have been very good. Biggest fault being the Adblu but we put this down to using cheap adblu we now only use from the pump. 
economy wise average is 28 and when I drive I can average 32 on a easy day and that’s with 12 to 16 passengers normally. All of them are manual. 
I did have a Ford transit custom with the 170hp engine auto that one would normally return 30ish to the gallon. 
drive and ride is far superior to the Fiat 

the iveco has been a nightmare costing a fortune to keep one the road its a 29 seater. 
the big older merc is amazing with its 30 seats definitely a plodder and extremely good on diesel considering its size. 

goven the choice I would have a Ford based pvc / small MH if one was available ( we like the Malibu pvc only available on fiat at the moment) 

den

This (rambling) 2022 MotorHomeFun forum thread may be of interest.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/transit-wheelspin-is-it-just-us.273798/

It's perhaps worth mentioning that Transit is currently available in front-wheel-drive form with 6-speed manual transmission or 6-speed automatic, or in rear-wheel-drive form with 6-speed manual transmission or 10-speed automatic - however (as far as I'm aware) all recent Transit-based coachbuilt motorhomes will have been built on a FWD chassis.

It's also likely that Transit-based motorhomes will not have 'camping-car' tyres as standard OEM fit, so won't require the ultra-high tyre pressures recommended for Boxer/Ducato/Relay equivalents that have CP-marked tyres.

There's an in-depth Transit van review here

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/ford/transit/2014-review/

Many thanks Derek&grumps  mpg sounds very reasonable

very interesting reading the discussion on the link I’ll be going from RWD sprinter to FWD transit with two electric bikes In the garage or on rack so I might for the first time have to be careful about driving on wet grass etc etc

are you liking your F68?

On 24/03/2024 at 12:01, Grumpyman said:

Good morning

Further to the tyre question on transit based motorhomes my Autotrail F68 has Michelin CP's with pressures between 55 & 60 PSI.

Grumpyman.

Are those the tyre pressures you have chosen to use, or are they specified by Auto-Trail or Ford?

• 5 weeks later...