Knaus Weinsberg waste valve problem

On 27/03/2024 at 14:46, Derek Uzzell said:

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Mike.

It might be useful to know which "CaraCompact" model you've bought, but I think they all have the Easy-Travel-Box that groups many of the 'service' elements inside a single externally-accessed  locker.

I've attached below an example of the Easy-Travel-Box and I believe the fresh-water and grey-water drain valves are where I've arrowed in green.

image.jpeg.13b74f66542d273587eee86b059d187d.jpeg

Visually (in photos) the two valves look the same 'twist-to-open/close' type, so there's no real reason to think they should operate differently, nor that there should be a secondary method of opening/closing the grey-water valve. (Presumably the Weinberg handbook includes some information on operating the valves?)

I can understand you being reluctant to use significant brute force to move the stuck valve, but that may be the only DIY option. You might try warming up the stuck valve with a hair-dryer to see if that helps, but otherwise you'll need to contact your dealer for advice.

On 26/03/2024 at 18:25, ebikemike said:

We have just bought a 2024 Weinsberg cara compact, the waste dump valve seems to be stuck solid, the fresh water valve works fine, am I missing something ie another release catch somewhere, it will be going back to the dealers at some point but we would like to use it in the meantime, many thanks Mike

Hi Mike, this is a commonly found problem with most of the motorhomes built at the same factory. The valves they use are cheap, £5 to £10 will buy them anywhere. I've had 2 Knaus motorhomes now and have had your problem with both. Almost all cheap ball operated valves will seize up in a very short time. Given the price of the M/Hs it's taking the p*#s a bit. Chris.

A quick update from our Weinsberg Pepper. German site pretty useful in describing issue with stuck dump valves. I had left ours as waste valve was working and could live with fresh water valve stuck in shut position for the moment. Had another look at problem today to see if I could drop styrofoam box to shift valve from below, that a German owner has had to do. Others have cut out a section of the foam to access mechanism. But before getting drastic tried grips instead of the handle again and lo and behold valve opened. It was a warm day (surprising as weather has been rubbish) so that may have played a part. I have now attached handle with self taping screws. So handle is now pretty solid. I’ll keep the ball part of the valve lubricated and half open when drained. That said it appears our European Pepper owners are familiar with the issue. 

Paulm

• Like 1

The errant valve is now working, called at the dealers this morning and I think they applied more brute force than i was willing to risk to free it, I will leave it open from now on with regular turns 

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Billy.

Based on the earlier comments in this discussion, realistically I don't think there is anything you can do yourself to try to free up the stuck drain valves other than to use force (say using Mole grips or an improvised tool) and risk damaging the valves' operating mechanism.. (In his posting last Friday, using major brute force was what ebikemike thought Preston Caravans had done to get his motorhome's seized drain-valve to work.)

As your motorhome is under warranty, the first thing you MUST do is contact Preston Caravans, advise them of the problem (which they must be well aware of by now!) and ask them what you should do. 

I think you are based in the London area - over 200 miles from Preston Caravans.  So you might ask Preston Caravans if they would authorise (and pay for) a Weinsberg or Knaus dealership nearer to you to investigate the problem and see if that dealership could unstick the valves.

OK = probably a good idea to ask them what they plan to do before they proceed as, if it causes damage, they will need to carry out a repair.

Anyway, as both drain-valves are seized up and you haven't been able to move them yourself, this makes your motorhome essentially unusable. So - whatever approach Preston Caravans chooses to free up the valves - they will have to accept the consequences of their actions.

If they do free the valves up, could you please report this back to the forums and say what they did. As the problem seems to be recurrent, it would also be worth knowing what Preston Caravans would advise to stop it happening again.

Posted (edited)

They did tell me that they used brute force, and also if I had snapped the valve shaft they would have replaced it under warranty as it was a fault, I have given it a squirt of silicone lube and left it in the open position 

Edited by ebikemike

Chris Robbins provided a photo of the drain valve in his posting of July 6 above.

I assume the shaft that leads to the opening/closing lever is in the left upper-corner of the photo and its connection looks pretty sturdy to me. I also assume that (if one could reach it) the valve could be opened/closed by the red 'wing-nut-shaped' lever.

The shaft and its connection to the valve looks like it would tolerate a good deal of 'twist' (though I'm less sure about the operating handle at the shaft's top). But if brute force failed to move the valve's ball, or broke the shaft, that would still leave the valve stuck.

Chris said "The valves they use are cheap, £5 to £10 will buy them anywhere". This type of ball-valve is widely used in domestic plumbing systems, is normally quite inexpensive and is available in many sizes (1/2" example here)

image.jpeg.701e2670dff766af2874dbd04dc17328.jpeg

It would be useful if Chris could say what the specification is of the valve Knaus/Weinsberg uses, so that an exact replacement valve could be obtained if the need arose.

I used brute force but only spun the handle free from the shaft!  They loosened the valves by drilling and pinning handles onto shaft they are still quite stiff but do now turn yeeeee

That was the risk I mentioned above:

The shaft and its connection to the valve looks like it would tolerate a good deal of 'twist' (though I'm less sure about the operating handle at the shaft's top).

Unless this type of valve is regularly opened and closed it will seize up and - if it cannot then be moved - the only realistic solution will be to replace the complete valve.

Hi

We have found if the body of the valve can be accessed easily , pouring some boiling water over the body of the valve (or gentle heat with a hot air gun on the body of the V/V ) This helps sometimes to allow it to be opened without too much torque.  Giving it regular use afterwards usally helps to prevent further locking

Regards