Fresh Water Filler Inlet Cap

Hi all, never rains but it pours, lost the keys for my Fresh Water Filler Inlet Cap, so have Ordered replacement. As the under vehicle water tank has been winterized (no Water) to remove the complete cap, from the outside, it has 3 screws through the outer housing into the vehicle. My question, is it just a case of removing the 3 screws and it will lift off, or does the barrel  lock have to be drilled out, any tips would be appreciated, or even get in it with out any keys, as my DIY is Zilch !, cheers.

I believe you own a Mercedes-based Lunar Landstar RLS motorhome bought in January this year, but I don't know how old it is.

Even if you undid the 3 screws that hold the complete filling-point in place, there's no certainty that you would be able to withdraw the filling-point from your motorhome's bodywork - it all depends on how Lunar built the vehicle and whether the rear of the filling-point is accessible from within the motorhome.

There is some on-line advice about removing water-filler locking caps (examples here)

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/caravan-motorhome-chat/a-locked-water-tank-filler-cap/

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/water-filler-cap-lock.115409/

but I've no hands-on experience of doing it.

Suggest you contact a motorhome/caravan dealer to see if they can get the cap off without drilling out the barrel. Or perhaps see if a local locksmith could advise.

Going to a MH sales company could be helpful. There are only so many different keys made and you could be lucky to try a spare that will fit your filler cap or they may have some keys to try in stock. 

Easiest option I believe is to call a mobile auto key and locksmith, I have details for an Essex based one but can't advise nationally.

From experience they come to you and are, normally, able to open any lock and make keys from the existing barrel. It is actually frightening how quick they are able to open the lock, matter of seconds in my case. New keys made in under 5 mins, whole job 15 mins and reasonable charge.

Bas

I agree with Basil - get yourself to a locksmith ... they will have it open in minutes. Doesn't necessarily need to be an auto-locksmith so phone first to check.  I know of a good one in Canterbury if that helps?

Jeremy

This mobile auto locksmith should be quite close to Tony.

https://keymagic.co.uk/auto-locksmith-services/

If the keys for the existing cap are not used for anything else on the motorhome, and as Tony has ordered a replacement cap (presumably with keys!!), it won't much matter if the existing cap is damaged when removing it - the primary objective is to get the cap off.