Schengen Area Idiosyncrasy?

Cattwg

We have recently returned from a 7-day cruise Southampton to various EU cities. Interestingly our passports were not stamped neither entering or leaving the Schengen Area.

It would appear that cruise passengers are exempted from having their passports stamped. The only reasons I can think of why this is the case:

At each port passengers are checked off and back onto the cruise ship. 

Passengers do not stay overnight at any Schengen Area city.

I did ask the boarding staff but they were very ambivalent and as to why cruises were exempt this requirement.

Cattwg  😀

Similar thing happened to us on a cruise to the Caribbean in January. That nice Mr Trump designated Cuba as a terrorist state just before he left office. That means that if you go to Cuba you can't go to the USA on a ESTA ... you have to get a full visa from the US Embassy and go for an interview etc.

The Cubans know this so do not stamp or even look at your passport, so there is no record that you have entered Cuba. They simply look at your Ship ID card. They still want your cash!

I think it probable that the EU border chaps would have great difficulty scanning the passports of 1000 - 4000 people from a Cruise liner on a day trip, so simply don't bother. 

Jeremy

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, laimeduck said:

I think it probable that the EU border chaps would have great difficulty scanning the passports of 1000 - 4000 people from a Cruise liner on a day trip, so simply don't bother. 

Jeremy

I take your point Jeremy but of course the ship's staff log all passengers off an on the ship. 😀

So the answer would seem to be yes cruises do count against the 90/180 rule. However, their three months in any six-month period is inaccurate. 3 months could easily be over 90 days.

John  😀

Edited by Cattwg
Add comment.