Split charging X2 ?

Globetrotter

Hi all

My Dethleffs has an integrated charger system, i.e. it controls split charging whilst on the move as well as mains charging etc.,

I am in the process of testing it, but I believe that the split charge part is intermittantly working and is thus not reliable. A new charger would be VERY expensive. It has been suggested to me that a solution would be to wire in a seperate split charge relay (easy enough to do) alongside the charger. I cannot disconnect the existing split charge function, because it is integral with the rest of the charger's functions and wiring.

Question-if I do this, am I likely to encounter any problems ? My main concern is if both systems DO work at the same time, would it lead to overcharging or any other harmful results?

Many thanks for your advice!

B-) Hi GLobetrotter. I was going to do exactly the same as you with our Dethleffs until I did some investigation. I cleaned all the connections and WD40'd the inline Fuse connected to the Motor battery. The connections to the Leisure battery were a little loose. It then charged ALL the time. ;-)

Another possibility is to fit an inverter (300w would be about the right size), to run as an appliance under the base-vehicle system, feed the output into your hookup circuit, and then you can charge your batteries, run your fridge etc "on hookup" when you are driving.

My rig has a 24v base vehicle so I was more or less forced into doing this, it works very well and was cheap to fit.

The split charging circuit requres only a simple automotive 12 volt relay. Nothing "smart" required at all.

The relay coil is connected between the vehicle alternator D+ terminal and chassis so it only energises when the alternator is charging. The relay contacts link the Alternator B+ terminal to the leisure battery + post.

Don,t forget the fuses. One stout one near the leisure battery + post, one stout one near the alternator B+ terminal and a small one near the alternator D+ terminal to afford maximum protection.

RELAY.thumb.jpg.02fd0bda5033540ada3af0f77ed45807.jpg

Archived