just returned from Italy - and need a tow car!

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

just back from Italian lakes. great trip, weather excellent at least when we arrived in Italy anyway....

van behaved well, effortless motorway cruising and A/C on site was brilliant particularly in the heat of the day.

italy was a nice change from France, more friendly and certainly

better value for money.

But I did miss a car ( car hire expensive compared to Spain) so I need a tow car. as I have only 1000kg towing capacity it has to be an A frame I'm afraid...

stayed at la toquet port Aire Monday night, chap had a qpod which was very novel. you just lift front of ground straight on to tow ball. but it was a little to small for me :-D

the equestrian centre Aire has a large contingent of gypsies so you may find it difficult if you arrive late to find a place. but if you want to experience living amongst them nows your chance...

spoke to chap at southern towing and they recommend citroen C1. any other suggestions?

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Dave, was hoping to avoid legality issues as my choices are probably limited to A frame towing, but unavoidable I suppose *-)

meet a chap in Switzerland who had a road legal quad on a trailer ( quad 300kg) qpod incidentally weighs less then 300 kg. suppose I could always consider a scooter on trailer ( will have to get a license for larger one)

there's the french Ligier as well but cant find much info...

JudgeMental - 2007-08-15 4:01 PM

But I did miss a car ( car hire expensive compared to Spain) so I need a tow car. as I have only 1000kg towing capacity it has to be an A frame I'm afraid...

stayed at la toquet port Aire Monday night, chap had a qpod which was very novel. you just lift front of ground straight on to tow ball. but it was a little to small for me :-D

?

Hi Eddie

The ATOM may suit at 456kg, have a look at their website:-

http://www.arielmotor.co.uk or Honda's lead in advert for Formula 1.

Only problem I can see is the spray thrown up behind your M/H

When we went through this exercise, we bought a copy of What Car, listed everything under a metric ton, then went round and looked at them all. Ended up with a Honda Jazz, which was one of the heaviest on the list but we wanted a good sized car for everyday use as well. Try the Audi A2, big car, aluminium body, so very light, but not cheap! Toyota Yaris, Daihatsu something or other (can't remember), Kia Picanto, etc. etc.

Got our A-frame from Car-A-Tow, very pleased with it, no problems at all.

Eddie:

Remembering that you'd said previously that your 3500kg Eura Mobil motorhome was very tight on payload when fully loaded, I referred to your "A visit to the weighbridge" posting. In this you mention the 'accessories' that have been added to your Profila, but I can't see any reference to a tow-bar. If your 'van hasn't got one already, don't forget that this is a pretty heavy item (my 2005 Eura Mobil brochure quotes 40kg), plus there would be further loading on the vehicle's rear as a result of the weight of the A-frame. Time to invent an anti-gravity unit I think!

Hi

I have an AIXAM for sale, 2004, silver, 11K Miles, 90+ MPG, FSH, Electric windows, Auto, 500.5 SuperLuxe, Diesel, under 400KG, 4 seats and no prob's with an A Frame, legally!

Bought for mine but have just got a smart car from work, company car = free car!!

Anyway best offer over £2,500

Guest JudgeMental
Clive - 2007-08-15 6:15 PM

Or swap the RV for a 4X4 and tow a caravan!

(My head is now below the parapet!)

Just came from a 4x4 pick up and demountable camper - which was fine when kids where younger. but no good for touring...

Derek, yes you are right in all you say. towing bracket is approx 40kg, but I could accommodate this with some planning :-D this summer trip proved we still carry way to much stuff...

from trailer association site:

"Q; I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit?

A: Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety."

this "new legislation" looks ominous for the future of A frame towing....

So it seems its either on of these little french things or a quad buggy on a trailer (250cc 2 seater quad, under 500kg including trailer) :$ fun but less practical...

Guest JudgeMental
Bill Ord - 2007-08-16 12:37 PM

Yep, a caravan will answer all your needs.

Bill Ord

Err... no it won't - rather fly and stay in a hotel :-D

JudgeMental - 2007-08-16 1:13 PM

Bill Ord - 2007-08-16 12:37 PM

Yep, a caravan will answer all your needs.

Bill Ord

Err... no it won't - rather fly and stay in a hotel :-D

I don't understand why. I 'd certainly rather go back to a tow car and caravan, than a motorhome and car tow - it all rather seems to defeat the object to me. If you generally stay on caravan sites for more than a day or two, then a car/caravan rig at the same sort of price as a motorhome/car rig will give more comfort, more space and more convenience, errr ... won't it?

Hey ho - me joining Clive back under the parapet.

:-) :-) :-)

Guest JudgeMental
johnsandywhite - 2007-08-16 4:01 PM

B-) How about the Aerial Atom? 450 kgs, 220BHP. ;-)

someone else mentioned this as well. looks brill, i may be able to squeeze in but unlikely to get out without assistance.:-D

southern towing say they will not fit A frame to AXIAM as nothing substantial enough to fix to. but would still be OK on a micro trailer and under 750kg

I have a life long dislike of tugging and all that goes with it. Plus I like staying at aires and touring around - the kids like sites where they can establish friendships and run wild - this is what I need my independent transport for. they are really pushing me to book same site at lake Garda again for next year as we had such a fantastic time. bit it has poor transport links and car hire is expensive compared to spain - but I may bite the bullet and pay....

or one of these (less the 400kg) :-D

174435086_260ccblackredseats_335237.jpg.83e3127710003bef9bf65afb56cd223e.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
peterjl - 2007-08-16 5:02 PM

Hi Judgemental

Where can i get details of that formidable machine the picture which you posted up? It looks fun!

If there's room for the wife and the labrador i will be tempted.

Peter

wife would have to clutch doggy in her arms....:-D

£2500 and less then 400 kg and can apparently be pulled on a A frame

http://www.stormbuggies.com/260ccroadlegalbuggy.html

Judge, have you worked out how much it will cost for:

the car

insurance

tax etc

vehicle maintenance costs (servicing, tyres etc)

the towing rig/car fixings

the extra fuel you'll use towing

the extra cost on the ferries

the restrictions placed on those towing (lower speed limits etc)

the extra costs for tolls

etc, etc

Once you've added all this up you can then work out how much it would cost you to hire a 'proper' car for a few weeks whilst on holiday, you might be surprised how 'cheap' hiring is after all.

Just a thought ....

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Mel B

The "for instance" test I have set for a tow car is:

if I needed to return camper for warranty work to dealer for a period. what vehicle could I tow to Belgium and drive back via tunnel to London...

the likle buggy's fail this requirement but would be fine on site for nipping down the shops or getting around locally

So Mel I have listened to your mature and reasoned arguments, and done a little more research in to car hire (less fun but Hey Ho:-D ) Ryan air fly to Brescia airport and cars can be had from £120. this is a third of the price I was quoted where we stayed.

so next year looks like its a hire car for us after all... :$

Archived