MMM giveaway

Globetrotter

A couple of issues ago the "coin" was in the Asda Exclusive edition. There was some sort of delivery mistake though because we bought our copy in a branch of W H Smiths and noticed later that the local Asda had the W H Smith Exclusive edition.

Latest issue the "coin" is in the Morrisons Exclusive edition.

Graham

This seems to be the norm since I started subscribing..complained about the free pitch marker and was told to get via website and hey presto a photocopy of the offer came with the next edition.

Is this the way to treat the loyal customers who pay up front?

Ok it is only worth around a quid but would come in handy when doing the shopping..but seems it is only to attract the supermarket passing trade.

Guest caraprof

What is it with people today? So MMM decide to try to recruit a few more readers by doing a little giveaway in a large supermarket or two. What's it matter? All suppliers do marketing exercises like this at one time or another.

Why does no one look on the bright side and always assume that they're being ripped off?

Fact: Those who buying MMM in Asda each month will pay £37.20 a year and have to drive and pick it up themselves.

Fact: Subscribers pay £33 a year, a saving of £4.20 and we get it delivered to our door and have you ever thought what the postage must be on a package the size and weight of a telephone directory?

I'm really sorry if anyone is aggrieved about missing out on a free token - poor old things, it must be a huge disappointment for them!

Globetrotter - 2007-08-16 10:49 AM

Hi all

A small point, I know, but when I was looking round my local papershop yesterday, I noticed that the current MMM has a giveaway with it-one of those trolly coin tokens. I'm a subscriber, and I didnt get one. Is this the same for all subscribers and if so, why ??

What is a trolly coin token? (I know, I lead a sheltered life)

Guest caraprof

Globetrotter, you claimed that because you are a subscriber you are being disadvantaged because you're not getting this little freebie.

I'm pointing out that you are not being disadvantaged because, as a subscriber, you may not be getting a gift worth a few pence but you are actually saving a few pounds, and getting delivery included.

This is a forum, where people debate points of view and I'm disagreeing with your point of view and putting a reason why I think that you are wrong in your assumption.

I'm also making the claim that many people today have unreasonably high consumer expectations, always look an the negative side and, when they see come across something like this always assume that they are somehow being ripped off!

If you are not happy with your views being debated, then you shouldn't post them in the first place.

Guest caraprof
malc d - 2007-08-16 1:01 PM " Subscribers pay £33" I only had to pay £32.99, which, as any retailer will tell you, is nowhere near as much as £33. ( Why can't we have a 99p coin ?)

Wow, an even bigger saving than I thought! As a retailer I agree with you about the 99p syndrome but there is no doubt that psychologically, £99.99 sounds and looks better than £100.00.

However, there is another and very good reason why retailers price things like this. If an item is £5.00 people will often tender a fiver and turn round and walk away leaving a dishonest assistant to pocket the money.

If however it's £4.99 everyone will wait for their change so the assistant has to ring it in the till to open the drawer and take the penny out.

I had a pack of films priced at exactly £10 and when I suspected a member of staff of serial theft we sent in a test shopper to buy this film pack. He handed over the £10 and rushed out saying he was double parked. Needless to say the tenner was never rung in and we caught the guy red-handed.

This allowed me to prosecute and he then admitted to stealing all of the expensive cameras which our computer system told me were missing!

Caraprof

Of course when I start a thread I am opening a subject to discussion. That, after all is the intention of the forum. What I dont like is the kind of flippant and quite frankly insulting tone that you use in your reply.

I value your contributions, but not the manner in which you give them. That, of course is my opinion.

Incidentally, these tokens DO work in Europe-a £1 and a €1 are the same size and interchangeable in supermarket trollies.

Pardon me for being dense. (^)

If you really want one, you can pick them up free from French supermarkets - just go to the office (accueil) and ask for a jeton. We got one from an Intermarche and it lives in the coin holder in the dashboard.

Seems to defeat the object a bit though.

Pardon me for being dense. (^)

If you really want one, you can pick them up free from French supermarkets - just go to the office (accueil) and ask for a jeton. We got one from an Intermarche and it lives in the coin holder in the dashboard.

Seems to defeat the object a bit though.

Guest caraprof

Am I missing something here? What's wrong with just sticking in a pound coin or a Euro? You get it back when you return the trolley. If you have to remember to keep a token in your glove box then surely it's just as easy to keep the requisite coin although normally you'll probably have a few in your pocket anyway!

Why complicate life with jetons or tokens?

Anyway, here's a tip. If you find yourself stuck without a Euro at a European supermarket I believe that an Albanian Lek will do just as well.

caraprof - 2007-08-16 2:11 PM

Am I missing something here? What's wrong with just sticking in a pound coin or a Euro? You get it back when you return the trolley. If you have to remember to keep a token in your glove box then surely it's just as easy to keep the requisite coin although normally you'll probably have a few in your pocket anyway!

Oh dear .... its the little things... I think this post started with the words 'its a small matter'Obviously never used up all your Euros and centimes in the pay machine at previous night's aire and wandered around the carpark trying to find a local to change a 20 Euro note.

Guest caraprof
robin - 2007-08-16 3:25 PM
caraprof - 2007-08-16 2:11 PM

Oh dear .... its the little things... I think this post started with the words 'its a small matter' Obviously never used up all your Euros and centimes in the pay machine at previous night's aire and wandered around the carpark trying to find a local to change a 20 Euro note.

No, never as it happens as we have the sense to keep a 'trolley euro' in the ashtray (wrapped up to stop it rattling of course) and if we haven't one in our pockets we can always rely on that. As it happens we normally never have one in our pockets anyway because.......... see below!

One good tip is to have a change box - I've a UK one and a Euro one. It's a small plastic box and every bit of change that we get goes into it. It might have twenty or thirty quid in (or Euro) at any time. When we buy anything we always try to remember to pay with a note so that we get change. It's easy to do this anyway if you've already emptied your pockets of all your small change.

Follow this policy and you'll never run out of Euro for Aires or anything else.

I'm really worried now-If I get one that attaches to my keyring that means the van keys would be in the trolley-if I was looking at cheap wine in the hypermarket someone might pinch my trolley, then the van. Oh no it's problem after problem-what if the wife was sat in the van?-no not much chance of that at Cite Europe-every silver lining has a cloud! Then what if I got caught in Carrefours using an Auchen jeton? Off to the bastille? Think I'll play safe and just keep 1 euro in case-it'll always come in handy next time---I know, I'll keep it in the coin thingy on the dashboard!

Panic over

caraprof - 2007-08-16 1:07 PM

I'm also making the claim that many people today have unreasonably high consumer expectations, always look an the negative side and, when they see come across something like this always assume that they are somehow being ripped off

From the quality of journalism in MMM, they probably are if they were expecting a quality magazine!

What we seem to be missing is the point of the post...should we as loyal subscribers not be afforded the same benefits and more as to that of passing trade.

Yes we do save a few quid on cost..but so do most other organisations offer savings to subscribers.

I remember the plastic mac thing arriving in the post with the mag so why not every giveaway?

I could just pick up the mag at the supermarket when doing shopping but decided to subscribe to make sure I could get a copy after all we all pay for the mag upfront so why miss out whether or not the giveaway is worth 1p or 100 pounds is not the point.

Mike B. - 2007-08-16 4:41 PM

I'm really worried now-If I get one that attaches to my keyring that means the van keys would be in the trolley-if I was looking at cheap wine in the hypermarket someone might pinch my trolley, then the van. Oh no it's problem after problem-what if the wife was sat in the van?-no not much chance of that at Cite Europe-every silver lining has a cloud! Then what if I got caught in Carrefours using an Auchen jeton? Off to the bastille? Think I'll play safe and just keep 1 euro in case-it'll always come in handy next time---I know, I'll keep it in the coin thingy on the dashboard!

Panic over

No need Mike, the tokens are attached to the key-ring with an easy-open clip.

Archived