the starers

handyman

In the years of caravaning before starting to go abroad, if we intended to stay on a campsite for more than a week, I would take our LARGE awning, a Dorema Vario, that covers an area of 22ft X 12ft plus an annex section that takes the awning right out to the full extent of the tow bar.

This outfit takes three hours to erect and kit out properly, especially with the lager breaks, we carry a lot of gear because of our family circumstances, by the time I had finished there was usually a few people standing there making comments and ocasionally clapping.

This is a huge awning and even though I say it myself when erected correctly it is impressive, sometimes, especially if it rained, we had barbies in it with several neighbours attending.

Only too pleased to have entertained you and "made" your holiday that bit more memorable for you

handyman - 2007-08-23 9:19 AM

sad, isnt it

I like to think that they stare out of envy.

On one site when it rained we had a disco going for all the kids, pleased to see the back of the little brats in the end though

It must be that menacing glint in your eye Dave! ;-)

Off to watch telly now, so just wanted to say have a good trip Dave and make sure you get some of the freebies!!! Oh, and if you see Clive, tell him that K9's pining for him! (lol)

When we got our 1st Frankia in 1999 (before there was a dealer for 'em in the UK) we were getting stares from both caravanners and m/homers as most hadn't seen one before.

What did we do? - Invited 'em in to look at it a a bit closer - embarrassed the hell out of some but we made a few good friends out of the others.

Our first "caravan" after years of camping under canvass was a folding caravan like the "Gobur" caravans advertised ( http://www.goburcaravans.co.uk/) Now this always got an audience - especially as you could have the thing up in seconds and if you new what you were doing could be in and have the kettle on in just a few mins.

One time this chap was watching and when I had pushed the roof and three sides up and was standing inside, just about to lift up the fourth side up, he came over, leaned over the still folded side and with a wonderful cockney accent said "Can I have a 99 please?"

We all just cracked up and had a great time thereafter that weekend.

On the subject of "watching" - we try not to. Tho' we always offer help if it is about to rain and newcomers want to get the awning up.

We now have a large TA caravan but I still hanker after the tent - hence why we use our awning so much.

" But still hanker after the tent".

This strikes a cord with me and often sleep out under the awning. Early morning dew, and the smell of fresh damp air. With our homes from homes I often wonder if we,ve forgotten what its all about. :-S

michele - 2007-08-24 6:16 PM

And nothing beats hearing the rain on Canvas wonderful... ;-)

you reckon,

all my 'tenting' seemed to consist of putting up a wet tent

.. .. .. .. taking down a wet tent .. .. .. putting up a wet tent .. .. .. taking down a wet tent .. .. ..

guy I worked with went from tenting to a camper - said he LOVED the sound of the rain on the roof, 'cos it meant he wasn't in a tent >:-) >:-) >:-)

and I've lost track of the number of sites I've been at lately [mainly in the UK] where the loos are full of tenters taking refuge at 2 in the morning :D

B-)

Many years ago when I was still in me 1st flush of youth I had a 24 hour holiday in St Ives in Cornwall (went all the way there from Leeds before the M1 was built). Why 24 hours? -

After putting tent up and getting soaked then getting soaked every time I stuck me head out the door I soon ran out of dry clothes. In the end I put the soggy tent back in the car as the weather forecast said it was better further east. As both me and the tent were so wet It took me all the way to Exeter before the demisters could clear the windscreen. Also by the time I got to Exeter the forecasters were now saying it was raining in the east. - What to do - GO HOME and book a flight to Spain!

You can keep the patter of rain drops on the canvas - I would rather turn up the volume on the telly to drown out the noise of it falling on the roof of the 'van.

twooks - 2007-08-24 8:02 PM

you reckon,

.. .. .. .. taking down a wet tent .. .. .. putting up a wet tent .. .. .. taking down a wet tent .. .. ..

guy I worked with went from tenting to a camper - said he LOVED the sound of the rain on the roof, 'cos it meant he wasn't in a tent >:-) >:-) >:-)

and I've lost track of the number of sites I've been at lately [mainly in the UK] where the loos are full of tenters taking refuge at 2 in the morning :D

B-)

Twooksie ... and what pray tell where you doing in the toilets at 2.00 am to know this!!! >:-) :$

I think the saddest thing I ever saw was a couple camping in a tent, whose transport was a motorbike.

They could not even get an a car to get out of the rain.

They packed up four days early and we made them a cup of tea and toast. They said the worst thing was getting into wet leathers!

Yuk!

Mel B - 2007-08-27 7:19 PM

twooks - 2007-08-24 8:02 PM

you reckon,

B-)

Twooksie ... and what pray tell where you doing in the toilets at 2.00 am to know this!!! >:-) :$

:$ :$ :$ :$ found out :$ :$ :$ :$

B-)

Archived