steadies (i think thats what they are called)

handyman

i have a euramobil 622sb with a ford base. I want to put 2 steadies at the back. Underneath there are holes in the chassis for them (i think!)

I have seen scissor type caravan types fitted and a single post type fitting. What do you think is best, and where can i buy them online..........and i'm going to the york show, do they sell them there?

The best ones I had were on my previous van - a Benimar. They were scissors type, but electrically driven, remotely controlledm and automatic retract when ignition turned on.

Current van has the single post type, which are quite acceptable, and very quick and easy to deploy.

CAK tanks sell (or at least used to) the latter. They don't have an online shop, but do mail order (phone).

You can download their invaluable catalogue at www.caktanks.co.uk (but I think we've been here before ;-) )

handyman:

"Westcroft's salesman said they could extend a Profila's chassis and fit a tow-bar for about £1k. In fact, it didn't look a terribly difficult job as two huge brackets were already fitted to the original Ford chassis. Profila's optional rear corner-steadies cost £191 a pair. Snag is you also need the £1031 chassis extension to hang them on. That makes £611 per corner-steady - I don't think so!"

The above is an extract from a report (unpublished) that I wrote on the Eura Mobil Profila range in late-2004. At the time I was looking for a new motorhome and the 622SB came closest to my requirements. Profila had not long been released and Westcroft Motorhome Centre (then the official Eura Mobil UK importer) did not have a 622SB in stock. Nevertheless, I did have the chance to spend a whole afternoon inspecting/driving the longer 662HB and 672SB models.

During my inspection I noticed the wide gap between the end of the Transit platform-cab chassis these Profilas were built on and the end of the motorhomes' bodies. The chassis was clearly ready to accept a bolt-on extension to reach to the vehicle's rear 'wall', but this wasn't present - there was just a vast acreage of white plastic-skinned floor-underside. I discussed this with the Westcroft salesman and, when we checked the Profila brochure, it became apparent that a chassis extension was required to mount rear corner-steadies and/or a tow-bar. The extension, steadies and tow-bar were all optional extras, costing £1031, £191 and £955 respectively.

I happen to have a 2006 Eura Mobil brochure that shows a tow-bar (£1006) and "rear comfort supports" (£181) as Profila options. A chassis extension isn't mentioned, so it's possible that, by 2006, it was now part of the standard specification. I just mention this in case the chassis on your 622SB is one of the early ones and lacks anything substantial on which to mount steadies.

Frankly, I'm mildly surprised you feel the need for steadies on a 622SB. My 2005 Hobby T-600 FC motorhome is slightly longer than your vehicle, is constructed on the same chassis and has a roughly similar interior layout. A bespoke massively-engineered galvanised rear chassis extension carrying drop-down rear corner-steadies are standard fitments, and one of the first things I did after acquiring the Hobby was to tie up the steadies so there was no possibility they could lower themselves accidentally. That was over two years ago and I've felt absolutely no inclination to untie them since. Ironic that I've got steadies and consider them superfluous, and you haven't and want them!

Wind-down scissors-type steadies are bulkier than the drop-down variety and, unless a motorhome has been designed to accept them, tend to be much harder to retro-fit. Conversely, they are usually simpler (and a whole lot cleaner) to deploy and retract. For easy operation drop-down steadies ideally need to be positioned close to the motorhome's perimeter where you can reach them comfortably. This is relatively true of my Hobby, but I'd still need to get down on the ground on my knees to lower/raise the things (which I shan't be doing, of course).

I vividly recall an Explorer Group motorhome displayed at an NEC Show having rear steadies attached directly to the end of its original chassis. The steadies were so far in from the vehicle's sides and rear that you almost needed a telescope to spot them and would certainly have needed to crawl well underneath the motorhome to operate them.

the 622sb i have has a chassis all the way to the back (and a brucey bonus, of a plug to put a lighting board into)

We have done 8000 miles since delivery in march, so know if we want steadies or not.

I wake up on stormy nights with the van rocking and twitching. But more importantly, the wife doesnt want to have sex during the day, as she feels people (the starers) can see the van rocking.............so well worth £60 for some steadies i would think

handyman - 2007-08-19 9:02 AM

I wake up on stormy nights with the van rocking and twitching. But more importantly, the wife doesnt want to have sex during the day, as she feels people (the starers) can see the van rocking.............so well worth £60 for some steadies i would think

I'm somewhat torn between pleading that this is information overload :$ , and asking you for an address so I can immediately go out, remove my steadies, and send them to you B-)

Guest JudgeMental
handyman - 2007-08-19 9:02 AM

the 622sb i have has a chassis all the way to the back (and a brucey bonus, of a plug to put a lighting board into)

think

And my Profila 660HB came with the same plug in lead and socket and has two chassis rail extensions to the back as well. I can not see that a bar and ball could justifiably cost over £1000!

I need steadies as well as sick of being woken by my teenagers moving about in the middle of the night ( late back from site clubs) when I have been asleep for hours*-).

and I to enjoy sex (preferably with a consenting partner) and steadies would assist in this regard as well:-D

the only ones I have seen are the fiamma nest of four (either in plastic or aluminum) screw up type. advantages being , small and lightweight and if you forget to take them of they would just fall over?

Bill - 2007-08-19 4:05 PM

When I first started motorhoming I put my steadies down religiously.

Then one night I forgot, didn't notice any difference, and have never bothered since.

Waste of money IMHO.

As i said above, i feel thye are required. £60, thats all. Its not the end of the world.

All i wanted toknow was which type to go for, just incase one type was a no no.

We use our corner steadies every time we stop for more than a brief overnight stop. If we intend to be camped for more than one night then I do take the five minutes to level the 'van and put the steadies down, we find it makes life just that little bit more comfortable. I reinforced the steadies on our 'van so I can use them for minor levelling adjustments. I generally set the 'van slightly nose upwards using the leveling ramps then use the rear steadies to put it level. Don't try this unless yours are man enough for it, most are only designed for stabilisation and not for actually lifting the 'van.

D.

Very much depends on your van. In our Rapido 709F it was only a shortie and despite it having steadies we never used them.

In our Rimor we are probably going to have to start using them as it has a long overhang and consequently now it's got 6000+ miles on the clock the suspension has loosened up so it moves about when we're at the rear end jumping on and off the bed ... to go to the loo I hasten to add ... not whilst engaged in any other shinannygins!!!!!! :$

Archived