O.K sugestions (clean)

Poppy

Dog and I have van (Hymer Van) to ourselves for just over a fortnight mid september. Thought of Scotland and also Devon Cornwall. Both have different attractions. ALSO wondering France. A BIT nervous driving on my own in France (No One to remind me which side we are suposed to be on!). Lot depends on the weather I supose.Dog has her own current passport so not a problem.

Driving on the right - wear your watch on the wrong wrist for a while. It will be uncomfortable and can help remind you. After an hour you will wonder why you were worried.

Traffic islands feel funny at first, but you will soon get used to them. Watch the natives though, as they have no lane discipline and regard them as a race track.

Take particular care when you have just done something very commonplace like filling up with fuel or visiting a supermarket. That is the danger time as your mind may still be on the cost of the purchases (for example) and it is ever so easy to pull out of the entrance and set off on the wrong side.

Stop signs mean STOP. It is the law in France that your wheels must come to a complete halt. I've never been clobbered, but have heard that promotion-happy Flics sometimes lurk in wait of a victim. May be apocryphal (like the gas attack nonsense) but not worth the risk.

The stop signs make their latest traffic calming measures in some towns a real pain in the rear. They have started putting stop signs at every tiny little junction on some of the through roads, particularly the smaller ones in residential areas. Even an adjoining footpath that sees only the occasional stray dog will be controlled with a stop sign.

Also be very careful about crossing a solid white line in the centre of the road. You will notice that the locals will follow a tractor at 5mph for miles - even though visibility is perfect and you can see half a mile ahead. There must be diabolical on-the-spot fines or they wouldn't be so law-abiding.

If you see a sign warning of a speed camera, there will be one within about half a mile. You may not notice it because they hide them, and they are not brightly coloured, but be warned - there will be one.

Hope this helps. It's all down to common sense really, plus a bit of extra caution and law abiding - especially if your French is not good enough to argue with a Gendarme.

Poppy,

you don't say where you live so might be sending you on a magical mystery tour .

Cornwalls nice if you went to France on your own you're braver than me but thats not to say you shouldn't go good on you.

If it were me I think Cornwall or Scotland at least I can speak the language St Ives & around is quite nice the tourist season is over and I think by then maybe Oct you can walk the dog on the beach..

Not sure I agree with you for once Michele.

In spite of the list of "cautions" I just posted, driving abroad is not that difficult. Please don't anybody take offence or bully me for this comment, but any lady brave enough to drive a motorhome will have no problems driving in France.

We blokes usually have no choice but to drive. What's even more difficult - we have to pretend we enjoy it.

Well Oldgit,

It's not the driving in France I or many women have a problem with its the France on your own bit That I have a problem with hence the at least I can speak the lingo bit.

As I said if she goes to France on her own then hats off to her . Its not for me on my own but everyones different lovely place and all that its the if anything happens like tyres ect ect ect I would have trouble asking .

Then I defniately would have no jam in me doughnut would I

8-)

You're multi-tasking again Michele. I was only thinking of the driving, but I take your point about the "being alone" bit, especially for a lady.

I guess Poppy is the only one who can decide on that, and a lot would depend on how good she is at the language. Now I think about it, I'm not sure I would be particularly keen to go to France on my own - even as a bloke. Although I speak passable French, a foreigner alone could feel pretty isolated - particularly since some of the Frogs are not renowned for their love of the Rosbifs.

If you do decide to go Poppy, you might consider Brittany. They don't even consider themselves to be French, and they are generally a lot more friendly and welcoming to the Brits.

Best of luck if you do go - more power to your elbow!

The only problem with going to France on your own is you could end up a bit fed up and lonely, you might not meet anyone you can have a natter to etc so you could end up feeling very isolated. At least in England, Scotland, Wales etc you can natter to people on the campsite or whilst out and about.

'Old Git', am I missing something? I always thought frogs ate flies and not roast beef! Sorry, but I do not like to hear nationals of other countries referred to by a derogatory name as this, I suggest, does nothing to enhance inter country friendships! I am sure we English do not like being called 'Limeys', 'Poms' etc. do we?

Regards, Mike.

Mike, we're the Rostbif! After the sunburn we got earlier in the year I can fully understand why they call us that and totally accept it as appropriate! (lol)

As for calling me a Pom, Limey etc, couldn't care less, to me it's only an insult if you take it that way and if it is meant that way. B-)

Mike Parke - 2007-08-19 5:13 PM

'Old Git', am I missing something? I always thought frogs ate flies and not roast beef! Sorry, but I do not like to hear nationals of other countries referred to by a derogatory name as this, I suggest, does nothing to enhance inter country friendships! I am sure we English do not like being called 'Limeys', 'Poms' etc. do we?

Regards, Mike.

Yes Mike, you are missing something. Please go back and read it a bit more carefully and without leaping to conclusions. ". . . . some of the Frogs are not renowned for their love of the Rosbifs".

The historical (and not particularly unfriendly) name the French have for us is "Rosbifs". It came from their perception that we live entirely on Roast Beef. Since I used what you think of as derogatory terms for both them and us, I thought equanimity was achieved at the very least. I'm afraid "derogatory" is in the eye of the beholder in this case.

May I quote Mel B here, "As for calling me a Pom, Limey etc, couldn't care less, to me it's only an insult if you take it that way and if it is meant that way." She is dead right - it's only an insult if it was meant as one, and in this case it wasn't.

I don't even mind if you call me an old git, but if you are going to give me a bashing please be sure I deserve it!!

Mel B - 2007-08-19 4:17 PM

The only problem with going to France on your own is you could end up a bit fed up and lonely,

I've been to France on my own and i ended up feeling bit like Mel b says.

It wouldn't stop me going on my own again if that was the only way.

Paul

Guest caraprof
Old Git - 2007-08-19 5:37 PM
Mike Parke - 2007-08-19 5:13 PM 'Old Git', am I missing something? I always thought frogs ate flies and not roast beef! Sorry, but I do not like to hear nationals of other countries referred to by a derogatory name as this, I suggest, does nothing to enhance inter country friendships! I am sure we English do not like being called 'Limeys', 'Poms' etc. do we? Regards, Mike.
Yes Mike, you are missing something. Please go back and read it a bit more carefully and without leaping to conclusions. ". . . . some of the Frogs are not renowned for their love of the Rosbifs". The historical (and not particularly unfriendly) name the French have for us is "Rosbifs". It came from their perception that we live entirely on Roast Beef. Since I used what you think of as derogatory terms for both them and us, I thought equanimity was achieved at the very least. I'm afraid "derogatory" is in the eye of the beholder in this case. May I quote Mel B here, "As for calling me a Pom, Limey etc, couldn't care less, to me it's only an insult if you take it that way and if it is meant that way." She is dead right - it's only an insult if it was meant as one, and in this case it wasn't. I don't even mind if you call me an old git, but if you are going to give me a bashing please be sure I deserve it!!

Well said Old Git. I hate this bloody political correctness. I couldn't give a monkey's if I'm called a pom, limey or a rosbif and anyone who does is an over-sensitive big girl's blouse!

Why should a nation's nicknames always be viewed as derogatory? Yanks, Krauts, Froggies - they all have a solid basis for their origin, which isn't necessarily insulting.

Hi,

I read somewhere that the French army wore green uniforms, so their nick name is not related to their diet. By the same token, they referred to our red-coats as Lobsters. Any truth?

Call me what you like provided you are not trying to insult me. It will probably make both of us feel more comfotable. I freely admit to suffering "Senior Moments" as a result of a "Man Thing". My wife constantly reminds me that little girls grow up, and little boys have a job for life. I'm not sure if she is being insulting, so I don't let her.

I think we seem to be leaning towards France, og is anyway.

Don't forget that dogs and kids tend to attract conversations with others - on site and out and about.

go south poppy go south

or, if you don't mind rain - how about admiring 40 shades of green in Ireland :D :D

or east coast of Scotland - Aberdeenshire n Fife sort of spot, can recommend a great spot -Stonehaven - just south of Aberdeen

wherever - have fun

B-)

I would suggest that:

1) If you are (relatively) happy driving a M/home on a UK city ringroad, you will have no problems in France. ( Apart from having to climb into the passenger seat to pay at the peage AND DO YOUR SEATBELT UP BEFORE YOU DRIVE OFF. ( stories of promotion happy flicks)

2) French camp sites are no more friendly or otherwise than UK camp sites. In fact we have found to be more friendly in a lot of instances.

Language / shopping is not realy a problem, Franglaise, hand waving and a smile goes a long way.

3) Try a cross channel cheapy for a couple of days or CC / CCC offer and give it a go. Plenty of local campsites to calais and coast.

Rgds

michele - 2007-08-20 7:53 AM

Poor Poppy has anyone actually suggested a place to go ?

Good point Michele.

Try Blaarmeersen campsite on the outskirts of Ghent.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188666-d284045-Reviews-Camping_Blaarmeersen-Ghent_East_Flanders.html

(click on titles to make sure you get the whole review.)

http://www.select-site.com/site-details.aspx?ID=31071

Not far from either Calais or Dunkerque, and Ghent is a lovely, and we feel much under-rated city. The site is right in a huge park and sporting complex with wonderful walks for the mutt, and if you take a bike you will be in heaven. Parkland rides and mostly traffic free cycle paths into the city - about a 15 minute leisurely pedal. A bus runs into the city every 20 minutes from a stop about 300 yards from the site entrance.

Only snag, as mentioned in the website reviews, some of the entrances are a bit narrow - though not all, and the site personnel speak excellent English so no problems there if you want to ask for an easy access pitch. Caravans get in OK though (mostly!) so you shouldn't have too much trouble with your M/H. Otherwise it's such a good site with so many facilities for you and the pooch that you might not bother to go off site very much if staying only 3 or 4 days.

twooks - 2007-08-20 9:52 AM

or east coast of Scotland - Aberdeenshire n Fife sort of spot, can recommend a great spot -Stonehaven - just south of Aberdeen

wherever - have fun

B-)

still think Stonehaven's a great spot - but read this before you decide whether or not to use the site at the moment

http://www.mearnsleader.co.uk/news?articleid=3029123

btw Blaarmeersen has hard standing areas [well sort of] that they use for motorhomes

B-) B-)

Poppy - I've always thought that it's far more fun to get onto the continent than sit around on a muddy windswept field in Britain, watching the rain lashing down and trying to convinve each other that we're having a great time.

Yes, it's more adventurous - but that's half the fun!

Like OG, I'd like to suggest Belgium as an option.

One town (maybe it's a city?) in the north of that country that I think is beautiful is Brugges - often dubbed the Venice of the North.

It's dead easy to get to from Calais, the food (and the Belgium beer!) is superb, the old town and canal network are wonderful, almost everyone speaks at least some English, and they are very Brit-friendly. The countryside around the region is also absolutely lovely.

Oh, and of course the chocolate is absolutely to die for!!!

Plus you can offest a lot of your travel costs by bringing back bucketloads of cheap booze and fags..........

Don't know of any Motorhome sites on the outskirts of the town (I've always been there on motorbike tours in the past, and so have stayed in cheapo hotels/hostals), but it's a place I would return to again and again.

One other thought - now that we live in Spain, I honestly reckon that the continent is in fact a much safer place to visit/ travel through/stay in than the UK nowadays.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Well I do have a personal favourite in Scotland which is Blair Castle. Lovely site and you have 24 hour access to castle grounds which are gorgeous especially when the tourists have gone. It has an internet cafe, bags of walking, a lovely pony trecking centre with their own herd of Highlands and a nearby shop/ couple of restaurant bars etc.Pitlochary (nearest town of any size) has caravan/motorhome friendly parking as well.Belgium and especially Ghent does sound VERY tempting as well. If not this year next. We are planning a month next summer.I have driven a lot on the continent but always one half of a pair. Even so I could travel at quiet times etc. couldn't ?

caraprof - 2007-08-19 9:50 PM

Well said Old Git. I hate this bloody political correctness. I couldn't give a monkey's if I'm called a pom, limey or a rosbif and anyone who does is an over-sensitive big girl's blouse!

Now that I do take offence to ... big girl's blouse ... and what is wrong with a big girls blouse then??!?!??? ;-) I'm sure many a lad would like to see what's underneath one! (lol) Sorry, Poppy, can't suggest anywhere in particular to go, I'm having trouble decided where to go for a week in September ... too short a time to go abroad (dogs and all that, too expensive for a short trip) and with the weather we're getting I don't know where to go to try to get a bit of sunshine, I'd love to do Scotland but it's about a 8 hour drive each way just to get to anything we haven't been to before and that's 2 days of the holiday! Aaarghhh ... where the ruddy summer gone! Hubby was just saying the other day he'd be glad when it got here ... then realised it was the middle of August already! :-(

Hi there

Please don't take the scare stories too seriously, dont get too worried about driving on the "other side" because you will not believe just how easy it is. Most of your fears are the fear of the unknown. Just take your time for a while and it comes very easilly. Usually there is a vehicle in front that you can follow for a while too.

Nice easy place to go to for a first time in France would be the D Day beaches.

Go on be daring

Archived