Pace box

michele

Our pace box for some uknown reason is in the wardrobe .

We needed to kill the power to it but hubby only having one set of hands couldn't reach both at the same time one on oneside the other in the wardrobe and something has gone pop.

Can anyone tell us where to find the fuse for this pace box he has had a look inside to no avail.

Cheers.

Michelle,

I don't know if this helps, but I also blew the fuse on our Pace box (sky digibox). For some reason the satellite installer had wired the whole gubbins back to the leisure batteries, so by tracing the wires round the back of the cab and down the back of the wood panelling and under the sofa, I eventually found the fuse before the wires went through to the batteries. Not too please as she had missed most of Eastenders by this time....

I blew the fuse by taking out the power lead from the back of the Pace box as this was the only way I could find to turn the damn standby off (as it i wired directly to the batteries). I now have to remove the aforementioned fuse, but will fit a proper switch when it bubbles up to the top of the to-do list.

Hi michele

It looks loke your Oyster fitter did the same to yours as he did to ours - wired the pace box back to the battery. With ours he cut a slot int some trunking and had the fuse poke through it.

It is NOT a good idea to wire the pace javelin straight to the battery in this way as it takes whatever voltage your circuit is at. If you look on the info plate on the Pace it says that it is suitable for 12v plus or minus 5% - that means a max of 12.6v. The circuit voltage particularly when charging can be as high as 14.6v therefore you could be running it well over voltage. I suggest you disconnect the Pace from the installed wiring and purchase a regulated 12v adaptor from Maplins part No A61FJ and plug it in to a cig lighter type socket in the tv cupboard. That way you can unplug it when not in use.

Cheers Bernie ,

Can you believe it when we had a leak from the Oyster it was flooding in off the roof and soaking the clothes in the wardrobe hubby took all the trunking out and finally he has just put the bloody lot back and now this has happened . Would you adam & eve it now he HE he heheheh has to go looking that will keep him in a good mood notice I laugh slighly, better not laugh at him ..Seriously what a pain it is .

Who in the hell fits them in wardrobes why not next to the TV box housing crazy people oh well another job for him to do and all he was trying to do was cut the power to do the reset you suggested but can not reach the on off switch and pace box at the same time because of distance so he turned it off by the plug and that has obviously blown it !!!!.

And he went to Maplins today

There ain't enough hours in the day as it is! 8o| 8o| 8o|

Terrytraveller - 2007-08-22 9:12 AM

Hi Michele,

The Oysters and like are almost always fitted on the roof above the wardrobe, because when the fittings leak, clothes absorb the moisture much better than plastic covered televisions.

Regards yrreT 8-)

Errrmm actually yrreT no they're not usually mounted above the wardrobe. The oyster and its kind come with quite a long length of multi core cable that allows it to be positioned almost anywhere on the roof that there is space. The cabe is often brought into the motorhome through the wardrobe as its a convenient place to site the controller and receiver boxes but it is by no means the only place for it. I've often mounted the controller and receiver boxes in the TV cupboard as it seems to me to be the logical place for it. Sadly not all installers of this kind of equipment think logically but then sometimes there is no TV cupboard and the wardrobe is the only sensible place for it, I recently fitted an Alden automatic dish on a new Hobby and the only sensible place for the equipment was in the top of the wardrobe.

D.

Dave terry's taking the mick out of me because our stuff got soaked after they done a poor job.

They never asked us and we just assumed they would put it in the TV locker how silly of us to expect to change channels without the lion witch & the wardrobe having a big part to play .... :D

Hi Michele,

Sorry about your leak, but I like your idea of using the wardrobe as a washing machine, you have the right attitude to adversity – your glass will always be half full, not half empty.

I notice that Bernie has recommended the Maplin voltage DC to DC converter part no A61FJ, you will probably notice that it will only output a controlled voltage of 12 volts when the input is above 16 volts. So an input of 14.4 volts will still give an over voltage output of 14.4 volts or no output at all I’m afraid, therefore the Maplins stabiliser will not do.

I have the same satellite receiver a Pace Javelin and have used it for over six years, I power it and the LCD TV with a Amporer ADP-90DC-12 found on link http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/products/12v_Stabiliser.asp its not cheap but it will deliver the correct voltage to your devices at input voltages from 10.5 volts up to 24 volts. A spin off is when the leisure battery voltage drops to 10.5 volts the 12 volt output of the stabiliser will remain at 12 volts, some TV’s switch off at 10.5 to 11.5 volts when a water pump is operated for example, and is a bit of a nuisance.

There is a cheaper way to reduce the voltage to the Pace Satellite receiver, it can be seen on link http://www.satcure.com/accs/page12.htm#javelin , the Diode IN5408 can be bought for a few pence. The lead with diode fitted should be safe to use when the you have the MH charger system on, although the leisure battery voltage will rise to 13.8. The 13.8 volts less the diode 1 volt drop = 12.8 volts output and is not too much more than the 12.6 volts the Pace Javelin likes to tolerate.

If you have a solar panel and you operate a 12 volt LCD TV, which may be as voltage sensitive as the Pace 1000 Javelin Satellite receiver, then you may damage your LCD TV. A regulated solar panel and motorhome alternator can output up to 14.4 volts, which exceeds the safe working voltage for some equipments not designed to run from a nominal 12 volt leisure electrical system, operating at between 10.5 volts and 14.4 volts.

I know you are going to say the above is too technical for you – but I’ve seen your photo – Wot a smasher ! ;-)

Regards Terry

Gee thanks lads .........ok I have read it all yes it is to technical you know me well Terry :$ But hubby will be home after 10 and he will know what you all say I promise its not over his head !....So thankyou for all the stuff really grateful he will get back to you all soon.

Quote "I notice that Bernie has recommended the Maplin voltage DC to DC converter part no A61FJ, you will probably notice that it will only output a controlled voltage of 12 volts when the input is above 16 volts. So an input of 14.4 volts will still give an over voltage output of 14.4 volts or no output at all I’m afraid, therefore the Maplins stabiliser will not do."

I suggested this one as itis the one that Diamond Dave provides with his installations and when this subject came up on the "motorhometoday" forum he actually tested one and found that it did in fact rectify the voltage with a less than 16v input.

Hi Berni & Dave,

I too can report a power supply failure on another of the popular Maplins products see link http://tinyurl.com/2nssod it is very much like http://tinyurl.com/358xhl which Dave reports may have failed, with the posibility of taking the Pace 1000 Javelin Sat Rx with it.

The computer power supply which failed me, part no N59AC did actually fail safe i.e. the 19volt output went to the supply input of 12 volts, so my laptop didn't fry.

Assuming Daves friends power supply failed the same way, then the output voltage will be identical to the input voltage, i.e. 13.8 volts when the leisure battery is on charge from mains and/or up to 14.4 volts if MH has a solar panel fitted.

I will not trust the cheapo PSU's from Maplins on my expensive equipments again.

Regards Terry

I haven't had chance till today to check mine. I tested it whilst the sun was on the solar panel (now that is a rare sight). The circuit voltage was 14.6v and the output from the Maplins gear was 14.4 (under load). I have taken it out and consgned it to the bin.

Thanks Terry - If you hadn't mentioned it I may never have given it another thought and not realised that it wasn't doing its job.

I have nowput an Amperor in place and checked that it is doing the job with an output under the same conditions of 12.6v.

Guest JudgeMental

I have one of the maplin power supply's set up to output 17v for laptop....

when plugged into a splitter on recent trip. splitter overheated and burnt out.

Am I safer using an inverter?

"There is a cheaper way to reduce the voltage to the Pace Satellite receiver, it can be seen on link http://www.satcure.com/accs/page12.htm#javelin , the Diode IN5408 can be bought for a few pence. The lead with diode fitted should be safe to use when the you have the MH charger system on, although the leisure battery voltage will rise to 13.8. The 13.8 volts less the diode 1 volt drop = 12.8 volts output and is not too much more than the 12.6 volts the Pace Javelin likes to tolerate."

I had a look at this link and then did some checking on the diode in question, its a rectifier diode. I can't see how putting one of these in line will regulate the voltage, a Zener diode would but its difficult to find one that can handle the required current.

For anyone wondering what the difference is a rectifier diode is used to rectify AC voltages into DC voltages because it only passes current in one direction. A Zener diode on the other hand will break down and stop passing current at a pre-determined voltage so can be used as a basic regulator.

D.

Hi Eddie,

The Maplin universal laptop power supply always makes me a bit nervous, as there are so many different voltage and polarity combinations to choose from, and it's not difficult to accidently select the wrong one, especially after a few drinks and through the haze of the cigarette smoke and jollyfication that might be going on :-D

If the maplin power supply fails, it will revert to the input voltage of 12v - 14.4v depending on whether you are on the MH charger, solar panel or MH alternator (engine running), so it should fail safe when supplying a controlled voltage above the input voltage, i.e. 17v or 19v as in my case.

Whatever PSU you use to power the laptop it will use alot of amps, around 3.5A to 5A and will need a heavy conduit to carry it from your leisure battery, or things will get a trifle hot. I wired a socket right back to the leisure battery using some hefty twin cable, you will note your cigar lighter and leisure point, connected to the car battery can take a load of 10A in some cases 180 watts.

When the maplins laptop PSU went bad while in France recently, I picked up another PSU from one of the supermarkets. The voltage is selected by what looks like a mini blade fuse but has a resistor embedded in it, once the voltage is selected for your laptop, it cannot be changed by accident as with the Maplins slide switch voltage selection. The connection plug for the laptop is selected from a range of different sizes supplied with the unit, there is no problem with polarity as only centre positive is possible, unlike the Maplins unit which allows centre negative or positive by rotating the plug.

Dave - When using the diode in circuit, I believe they depend on a forward voltage drop of one volt to reduce the voltage to the Javelin, not a very good idea I agree.

Regards Terry

What's a PACE box anyway? :-(

I thought PACE was the "Police and Criminal Evidence" Act - don't tell me they've got black boxes hidden in our vans to monitor whether we're doing things we shouldn't?

If so, I'm not surprised 'Chele's OH wanted to cut the power to it - he'd know about such things, wouldn't he?

:-D :-D

Tony

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Terry,

where can I get an alternative - more reliable power supply?

or can you recommend an inverter - is this a better idea?

Eddie

Tony Jones - 2007-08-30 11:05 AM

What's a PACE box anyway? :-(

I thought PACE was the "Police and Criminal Evidence" Act - don't tell me they've got black boxes hidden in our vans to monitor whether we're doing things we shouldn't?

If so, I'm not surprised 'Chele's OH wanted to cut the power to it - he'd know about such things, wouldn't he?

:-D :-D

Tony

Its called the old SUSS law and you're SUSSED Tony we know what you have been up to :D

Archived