Pace box

michele

Satcure website they do a mains converter and a cigarette lighter lead the info section is excellent . They do an inline resister that can guarentee the correct voltage which has been mentioned ...looks like a very informative website....

Hi Eddie,

I've always thought bumping up the voltage from 12vdc to 240vac then bringing it back down to 18volts was a bit of a waste of power, and very cruel to those poor electrons!

From your previous posting did I read that you need 17 volts? I wonder if you might have made a mistake, most laptops use an input of 15v, 16v, 18v, 19v, 20v, 22v or 24v DC.

Euro batteries do a good value one, if they haven't changed the design since I last saw the ad.LT20-3500-DC on link http://tinyurl.com/ytcocw price £22.59, it has a recessed voltage selection switch which is a big advantage as it would be difficult to alter the voltage by accident, I can't remember whether the tips can be reversed, but I think it might be positive centre only. This is the one I borrowed from a next door neighbour while in France, I only used it for a day, as you know how quickly the turnaround is on next door neighbours, and he wouldn't leave it with me on the chance we would meet somewhere else on the map :-|

The one I have is called a Spyker model number P70WD-D 72 watt (about 6amps), the bigger French supermarkets sell it for around £39. I had a quick spin around the internet but haven't picked out a web site for them, if you find it perhaps you will post it for others to see.

Regards Terry

PS - Just found the site for my PSU it's on http://tinyurl.com/2cxnzn

Just a quick update, today I had the "failed" Pace box in and guess what, it hadn't failed at all, neither had the Maplin voltage regulator! I tested the regulator and it gives 12.6 Volts output with an input voltage of 13.2 Volts so I'm confident that its safe to use. While the customer was in Italy these two items had apparently failed, dead, kaput! 7, yes seven different Italian electricians said so! Just confirms what I've suspected for a long time, Italians and electrickery just don't go together ;-)

D.

Guest JudgeMental

correct Terry - it's 19v

bloomin xspurts..... :-D

P.S. seeing as now I am going to use a 230v pace box - may as well just get the inverter and forget about power supply?

recommendations for inverters?

Hi Eddie,

I haven't any experience of using inverters, as I have always used DC to DC converters, you can see from my various experiences they haven't always been trouble free. Whereas the mains adaptors supplied with various appliances do seem to have a better reliability, than the accessories bought from the support marketplace.

Regarding the best inverter, if I was buying one I would look at the appliances I needed to drive at the same time, i.e. laptop, skybox, electric toothbrush, electric nasal hair remover/harvester etc.. add a few more amps - total it all up and buy one that will drive them all at the same time.

Regards Terry

Archived