LHD V RHD

Jackal

I have never had a problem driving either but would welcome views on resale values of either type. I was told today that left hooking A-Classes are more popular when either trading in or selling privately because of their potential buyers, i.e. long-timers bound for Europe. According to the gent in question this did not apply to coachbuilts.

Seems to hold some weight to me but knowing dealers like I do, I'm sure that any reason not to offer you want you want is a valid one.

So far I'd discounted all left hookers but I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't be so prejudiced and just go for the right van regardless of drive. I just don't want to be left holding the parcel when the music stops.

Thoughts?

As we spend most of our m/homing life on the other side of the channel we always buy a left hooker. I suppose it is a matter of what sort of motoring you propose to do - some only rally in the UK and for them a lefty would be impractical.

I was told by the dealer who sold us our last two 'vans that there is more call for lefties in the south east than the north of the UK. Presumably because if you live in the S/E you are more likely to pop over the water.

Personaly I don't mind the 200 odd miles drive to Dover - with the far better attitude to M/homes in the rest of Europe I prefer to do my camping there than be cooped on CC or C&CC sites.

Mines a LHD and I didn't even consider it as a minus when buying. If I got it cheaper as a result then I expect to get less for it on trade up. But I doubt it in both cases. It's better in this country and abroad.

Hi All,

Just to give a view from the opposite side of the spectrum so to speak. I would never buy a LHD, even though we do more miles and time abroad than in the UK. Strange I know but I find it easy to drive our RHD abroad and in UK but I cannot cope with driving a LHD over here, so I will never buy a LHD (I have tried to get on with them on more than one accasion but was never happy even after long term use).

I would say that with regards buying and selling, there is a market for either though probably more niche in the case of LHD but there are a lot more choices to buy available in RHD so the competition is greater, so it is probably broad as it's long.

I would expect to pay less for a LHD second hand, whether personal import or not, as I know that LHD can be bought much cheaper even if it means going abroad to buy.

As always just my view and opinion.

Bas

Thanks for that one and all.

As I said I'm as happy driving the one as the other and if I really worked out where I spent most of my time, I really couldn't call it.

I guess it'll all depend on what's available but one thing that does seems clear is that pound for pound a left hooker should cost less but I can definitely expect to receive less on trade-in or resale.

Guest JudgeMental

But you are getting so much more for your money in the first place? I saved well over 10k on mine. I will not get the same as a RHD in a few years but I don't expect to - its all relative. the law of diminishing returns...

Bless you Bas, but I think you are the exception rather the the rule. LHD RHD makes no difference to me , I just get in and drive.

I do have a tendency to drift out while driving here though, and some awkward angled junctions can be a problem if on your own. Plus 80% of our breaks are abroad.

Archived