Standard Items

davezeebra

Hi all, Just bought our 1st motorhome. It's an 06 Swift Sundance 530 LP which we are picking up from Brownhills of Canterbury in 2 weeks time. We woulld like to know if we should expect to get mains hook up leads and an owners manual etc as standard with this motorhome.

Also can anybody recommend a site near to Brownhills where we could try the van out before we come home.

Lastly we intend to stay mainly on five sites any opinons on which of the Caravan Clubs to join would be welcome

Cheers

Dave n Sharon :-)

Most of the bits which aren't screwed down are usually matters for negotiation, especially with a 2nd hand van.

At 1 yr old, I'd expect the owner's manual still to be there - if not Brownhills should be able to source one.

Anything you saw in the van when you looked at it should also still be there unless otherwise stated, but beyond that it's up to you and your salesman. Have a list of what you want included, express surprise/dismay if told anything isn't, and see how far that gets you.

Tony

At least one gas bottle - although they'll try to sell it to you! If they do don't bite, say it should be included and if they won't go and see one of the people who sells refils that are not motorhome dealers! Chances are that they'll be able to sort you out without havig to fork out for a brand new empty cylinder ... that you'l immediately exchange for a full grotty looking one!

You can also pick the up from car boot sales, private ads in newspapers etc very cheaply.

Hook up lead, again insist that you get one free if you can, as it's an essential piece of kit.

Other than that just try for all you can. Oh, don't be tempted to buy from their own shop - get yourself away from temptation ... they add quite a percentage on to the pots, pans etc and other bits and pieces they sell there.

The Camping And Caravanning Club have a site at Canterbury, look on their website for details, www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk

If you want to join you can join on site, if you want to think about it first it will just cost you a bit more as a non member.

The quality of both main clubs are comparable, I find the C&CC more friendly and their site book easier to use as they use Ordnance survey locations.

However I agree with earlier posting the Caravan Club is at present leading on CL sites, but the C&CC are catching up with their CS sites,I think they have been actively recruiting farmers.

"We woulld like to know if we should expect to get mains hook up leads and an owners manual etc as standard with this motorhome."

Hi Dave n Sharon,

we've bought 2 secondhand motorhomes, a "Y" reg Bessacar E795 which was traded in against a "52" reg Autotrail Dakota. In both cases we got a file with all documentation relating to all equipment fitted to the 'van as well as the builders' handbook. In both cases we got a hook up lead although the dealer who sold us the first one did catch us out with "you'll have to buy a gas bottle, most owners hang on to them". (we were a green then). On negotiating for the second 'van I told the dealer "....and I want two 13Kg gas bottles, 2 leisure batteries, a towbar (our 1st 'van had one), a safari room (ditto) and £2K off the trade in figure". We got everything except the £2K, but I still considered it a good deal. If it's not too late negotiate like mad! They want to sell you the 'van.

All the best and enjoy.

Tony Norton

HI All

We got such a good deal on the Swift, it was on the front for £24k but we got them down to £22k with a years road tax and a 3m awning fitted aswell not bad for an 18 month old van we think with 9000 miles on the clock so I suppose that any other bits that come with it would be a nice suprise . We cant wait to pick it up next Saturday and will probably stay at the Canterbury site for the night to see if there is any teething troubles before we come home to Essex

Cheers

Dave :-)

davezeebra - 2007-08-29 6:34 PM

HI All

We got such a good deal on the Swift, it was on the front for £24k but we got them down to £22k with a years road tax and a 3m awning fitted aswell not bad for an 18 month old van we think with 9000 miles on the clock so I suppose that any other bits that come with it would be a nice suprise . We cant wait to pick it up next Saturday and will probably stay at the Canterbury site for the night to see if there is any teething troubles before we come home to Essex

Cheers

Dave :-)

Hi Dave,

Good luck with your new purchase and welcome! When we stayed on the Canterbury site last year we got a knock on the door from someone who had just bought a 'van from Brownhills, and was having difficulty puzzling out how some of the equipment worked.

I was of course more than glad to offer advice and show how things work. The point being - don't hesitate to ask around if you get stuck with anything, we tend to be a friendly and helpful lot.

:->

I've joined both the CC and CCC, membership is not expensive. I find having access to both has given me great flexibility because of the sheer number of CL/CS' available, especially as we like to spend weekends within an hour's drive from home. (Easy drive after work on Friday, set up before dark, short run home Sunday.)

Also, the services provided by each club can be usefully compementary. For example, the CC came up with a cracking deal on Sea France ferries whereas the CCC was simpler, quicker and cheaper at providing the Camping Card International at short notice.

Lastly, in extremis, diversity can pay off. When the tarmac firm finally showed up to do my drive on the Friday of this August bank holiday weekend, after weeks of chasing - and with just overnight warning, "Helga" (French chassis with German body on top - Renault Master/Knaus) had to be moved pronto, every CC site we tried was full but CCC came up trumps with availability.

Hope you have great times in your new van.

Bob

Archived