Removing damaged/worn decals

The decal lettering on one side of my Timberland van has started peeling off, combination probably of that side being in the sun when parked up and close encounters with Cornish hedges. A local printer has managed to reproduce the letters as stick on vinyl, each letter separate (£25 in total) but I need to remove the old lettering which is stuck onto a metallic vinyl stripe which luckily is in good condition, obviously I don't want to damage the underlying stripe. Plan on using gentle warmth to soften the adhesive but not sure how to remove any residual adhesive. Have got some adhesive remover for use on jam jars and have read that WD40 also does the job. I don't want to damage the underlying vinyl and I'm assuming that the new letters will fit exactly on the removed ones so any fading shouldn't be an issue.

Any solvent eg WD40 or label remover will remove all the polish on your decals/paintwork. You can also use paint brush cleaner topically applied with a small brush which is excellent for removing residual adhesive. Wash off with lots of water after using. You will need to wash and re-polish the area afterwards.

Jeremy

Old decals came off no problem using gentle heat from a hot air paint stripper. Very little residual glue, used WD40 to remove and then rinsed with water. Underlying metallic stripe in good condition, could just about see faint outlines of old lettering. Each new letter was separate but on strip of backing and protective paper. Wasn’t sure whether to cut letters into separate letters but decided to apply in one go, worked a treat with no bubbling. Very pleased with new shiny lettering. Only time will tell if they last. It was originally a long shot approaching a local printer as not sure if that is something they could do but worth it. To get the letters he took a couple of photos with a ruler held to show size, that’s all he needed, modern technology did the rest. So anybody out there with faded or damaged decals all is not lost.