Dipstick v Sensor

We have very recently acquired a 2023 Globecar Summit 640 Prime. It has a dashboard star display for oil it also has a dipstick. Because the display was not showing a ‘full house’ I checked with the dipstick. If anything that showed the sump to be slightly over full. Our drive is level and I’ve always checked levels when parked up at home.

Being ‘old school’ I prefer a physical check with a dipstick. I wonder how much oil it would have taken to achieve a full star display? I don’t intend to find out.

We are off to France soon, perhaps on our return I’ll go back to the dealer and have them check/change the oil sensor.

John 🙂

Hi 

Post a photo of both the dis[play and how much over on the dipstick it's over the full mark ? How much mileage is on the engine? Did you purchase new or secondhand? 

Regards

There have been many threads, here and on other forums, where the sensors have given misleading readings, my best guess is if you ask a experienced mechanic they will tell you to use the dipstick and there's bugger all they can do about the sensors, but if you do get a better answer please let us know.

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

At the moment I'm unable to post pictures but a description: of the five stars (asterisks) of the display only the first four of five are lit. The oil shows 2 to 3mm above the maximum line on the dipstick. The mileage is 2300. The vehicle was purchased second hand about 4 weeks ago.

The base vehicle is a Peugeot Boxer. I have googled for the engine type and as far as I can tell it is the BlueHDi 2.2 140, manufactured by Ford and PSA Peugeot Citroen.

As I mentioned in my initial post we are off to France soon so I think I'll advise the dealer of a possible problem and pursue it on our return.

John 🙂 

20 hours ago, Cattwg said:

...The base vehicle is a Peugeot Boxer. I have googled for the engine type and as far as I can tell it is the BlueHDi 2.2 140, manufactured by Ford and PSA Peugeot Citroen...

John 🙂 

According to Wikipedia, your Globecar's BlueHDI motor is referred to as a DW12 RU that meets Euro 6d emissions standards and is intended for light commercial vehicle applications where it replaces the DW10 FU engine. Citroën Jumper /Relay and Peugeot Boxer models (2019–) are powered by the DW12 RU motor that comes in power ratings of 120 PS/300 Nm, 140 PS/340 Nm and 165 PS/370 Nm. (I'm not sure if Ford still has any direct involvement with this motor's production.)

I'm guessing that this is what your motorhome's display is showing

image.jpeg.770b35b8e4a0c605121436e8f98a5ab4.jpeg

This (Australian) link relates to the oil-level gauge of Ducato Series 8 models that have a different motor to yours and NO DIPSTICK, and suggest that vehicles with dashboard oil-level displays need care to ensure that the display is accurate.

https://www.eastccservice.com.au/ducato-series-8-oil-level-gauge-level-markings/

Previous motorhome forum comments about the instrument-cluster 'star' oil-level gauge indicate that the number of stars being displayed often does not exactly match a dipstick check made at the same time and, if the motorhome owner 'believes' the star reading, that there's a strong likelihood that oil overfilling will result.

As your dipstick check has proven that your motor's oil-level is full (possibly slightly overfull) I suggest you interpret a 4-star readout as meaning FULL. As you are accustomed to take dipstick readings (and are able to do so with your motor) the sensible thing to do would be to continue with that practice and use the 'star' gauge as a back-up (eg. if the number of stars suddenly decreases from 4 to 3 or less, immediately take a dipstick reading). As an experiment, you could try parking your motorhome on a slope while in France to see if the number of stars increases or decreases, but - now that you know that a 4-stars readout does not mean more oil should be put in - I wouldn't bother.

Thank you Derek for the information. You are correct about the dashboard picture with just four stars illuminated.

I did intend to follow the dipstick readings as you suggest. Sometimes I think it's technology for technology's sake with no actual benefit!

I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle of involving the dealer on our return from France - I'll think on it and make a decision later.

John  🙂

5 hours ago, onecal said:

Hi

Why not have it fixed under warranty , it may make a difference if you sell the vehicle in the future  

Regards

Yes, agreed. My wife is of the same opinion. So I'll pursue it on our return from France.   

John   🙂