Any wireless rear-view camera systems??

WigBilly

That's precisely my point Fred, wireless camera systems simply replace the wires that carry the picture (and sound) signals to the monitor with a radio transmitter and receiver but the camera still needs power so although the signal transmission is done wirelessly you still need to put a power feed in for the camera. I've seen some where the power for the camera has been taken from the reversing lights. This is ok but you can only use the camera when reversing.

D.

Guest caraprof

Most reversing cameras are for reversing! Mine will only show anything within about five feet of the rear of my motorhome and it does only come on when I engage reverse. So to me it seems absolutely obvious that it must be simpler to wire the camera to a reversing light and send the signal to the monitor by radio.

The other option, as happened with my 'van, is to have to dismantle a large part of the upper kitchen to feed the camera and then somehow, hide a wire along the entire length of the 'van, through the cab before finally connecting it to the monitor.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Fitting reversing cameras is something I do fairly regularly Frank and yes it can be a bit of hassle routing the wire but many people want to use their camera system for rear view while driving and if it only works when in reverse then it can't be used while driving. I would respectfully suggest that if your camera only shows about 5 feet behind the 'van then either the camera is too low, has too narrow a viewing angle or is adjusted poorly. Most camera systems I fit give up to 45 feet of rearwards vision (depending on height the camera is mounted at) at the top of the monitor screen and the bottom would typically be about 12"-18" from the rear bumper. Most people find this is just right as they don't need to get closer than 18" to any obstruction behind them. I have seen some dealer fitted systems where the lower half of the monitor shows nothing but the back of your own motorhome.

D.

A good quality system from a reputable brand such as Waeco or Camos with a colour camera and a 5" LCD monitor with sound is around £300-£350 plus fitting. This might sound expensive, especially when compared to items available from Ebay but these systems have seriously robust cameras rated at up to 10 G shock loading and IP64 weather and dirt protection. IP ratings are a measure of the systems resistance to dirt and water ingress, the first digit refers to water and the second to dust. 64 means its good for anytihng up to a close encounter with a high pressure jet wash.

D.

Guest caraprof
Dave Newell - 2007-08-28 8:58 AM Fitting reversing cameras is something I do fairly regularly Frank and yes it can be a bit of hassle routing the wire but many people want to use their camera system for rear view while driving and if it only works when in reverse then it can't be used while driving. I would respectfully suggest that if your camera only shows about 5 feet behind the 'van then either the camera is too low, has too narrow a viewing angle or is adjusted poorly. Most camera systems I fit give up to 45 feet of rearwards vision (depending on height the camera is mounted at) at the top of the monitor screen and the bottom would typically be about 12"-18" from the rear bumper. Most people find this is just right as they don't need to get closer than 18" to any obstruction behind them. I have seen some dealer fitted systems where the lower half of the monitor shows nothing but the back of your own motorhome. D.

I can only assume then that some are more wide-angle than others. Mine shows everything from about 18 inches from the rear of my 'van to about six or seven feet away and it was originally wired to be on permanently. I found this constant moving image of the bit of road behind me totally useless and distracting and had it rewired to only come on when in reverse.

I know that some people have two cameras, one for close-up and one for normal rear view, so not all cameras are suitable for close to distance viewing.

Dave Newell - 2007-08-28 9:21 AM

A good quality system from a reputable brand such as Waeco or Camos with a colour camera and a 5" LCD monitor with sound is around £300-£350 plus fitting. This might sound expensive, especially when compared to items available from Ebay but these systems have seriously robust cameras rated at up to 10 G shock loading and IP64 weather and dirt protection. IP ratings are a measure of the systems resistance to dirt and water ingress, the first digit refers to water and the second to dust. 64 means its good for anytihng up to a close encounter with a high pressure jet wash.

D.

Thanks Dave. My van is only 5.6 metres long, so I guess I almost don't need one. Since having to wear the varifocals however, I find judging distance in the rear view mirror quite a problem, so I may pop over and see you one day.

Dave what do you think of Brigade ? I work in a fleet workshop and one of our suppliers says he can do a Brigade reverse camera kit for £300. (i also think wireless is not worth having)

Here's the specifications

Monitor

5 colour TFT LCD screen

Colour and tint controls

10G mechanical shock

Brightness and contrast controls

5G mechanical vibration

-10°C to +60°C operating temperature

12vdc (direct or from control module)

CE and e marked (EMC)

Integral speaker with volume control

Camera

18 infra-red LEDs

Ultra-low light performance

Automatic electronic iris

100G mechanical shock

Waterproof (IP67)

10G mechanical vibration

Sun shield

12vdc (from monitor)

-20°C to +70°C operating temperature

CE and e marked (EMC)

Horizontal viewing angle: 88 Degrees

Vertical viewing angle: 66 Degrees

Control Module

Two camera inputs (to add an extra camera)

CE and e marked (EMC)

VCR output

please let me know what you think as it's not something we fit on our vehicles at work

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul, I have fitted a brigade system as supplied by a customer and although the technical specs are good I found it a bit fiddly to fit with the extra control unit. Both the Waeco and Camos units have just the monitor, camera and wiring to deal with but £300 is not a bad price. I'm intrigued by some of the specs though: 10G mechanical shock but only 5G vibration, aren't they one and the same thing?

D.

Archived