Wiring up reverse camera to screen

Welcome to the Forum Kevin

I wired my reversing camera to the reversing light and it worked - the camera uses so little power it didn't upset the canbus (thats where the body computer thinks there is a fault and cuts the power because the circuit is using more power than it is supposed to).

But it was a pain when reversing into a tight space and shunting backwards and forwards, because every time I took it out of reverse gear the camera switched off, and I had to wait for it to come on again - often with impatient people waiting for me to get out of their way and wondering what I was messing about at 

So I wired the reversing camera into a switch  on the dashboard so it would stay on till I am ready to turn it off - much better.  I have it wired to a red led strip to remind me its on so it doesn't get left on.

This long 2014 forum discussion may be of interest.

I agree with John52 - if the reversing-camera system automatically switches on when reverse-gear is engaged and automatically switches off when reverse-gear is disengaged, this will be really irritating while manoeuvring when parking.

When I installed a reversing-camera system on my 2005 Hobby motorhome, I powered it from an ignition-controlled 12V supply in the fuse-box so that I could switch the system on whenever the motorhome's engine was running and the vehicle was travelling forwards or backwards.

My next motorhome (a 2015 Rapido 640F) had a reversing-camera system as standard. This could be operated continuously (which is what I wanted it to do) but also came on automatically when reverse-gear was selected. The latter was (as John says) infuriating while parking as the system cycled slowly On/Off/On/Off indefinitely as the vehicle was manoeuvred forwards or backwards. In the end I had to sever the wire that triggered the system to come on when reverse-gear was selected.

We had a rear view camera fitted to our motorhome when purchased new.

The camera is permanently "on" - due to the fact that our Hymer has a solid rear wall, with no windows. 

It really acts as our rear view mirror, and makes life easy when reversing and also gives me a permanent view to the rear when I'm driving. This may not be the answer to your question, but may give you another idea.

15 minutes ago, Thai Bry said:

We had a rear view camera fitted to our motorhome when purchased new.

The camera is permanently "on" - due to the fact that our Hymer has a solid rear wall, with no windows. 

It really acts as our rear view mirror, and makes life easy when reversing and also gives me a permanent view to the rear when I'm driving. This may not be the answer to your question, but may give you another idea.

Yes mine is the same ..... on permanently. It is quite annoying at night as the headlights of following vehicles make the image very bright but I can turn the monitor off.

Jeremy 

20 minutes ago, laimeduck said:

Yes mine is the same ..... on permanently. It is quite annoying at night as the headlights of following vehicles make the image very bright but I can turn the monitor off.

Jeremy 

Same as ours then. I can also turn the monitor off if required. However I can also adjust the brightness/contrast if driving at night or reduced light during twilight hours. It's very rare that i'm driving at night though, generally parked up by no later than 15.00.

The installation of the rear view camera was part of our full alarm system. 

I have added a reverse camera to our trailer for when towing behind the van. It is wired into the trailers reverse lights and works well. There was an option to add a second camera which I have put on the front of the van to warn of unseen objects, having hit a large rock in the past! This is wired to the headlight power supply so only available when the light are on. Both cameras are wireless and very useful. I personally don't have a problem with the camera being selected each time reverse is used as it is off when in drive mode.

1 hour ago, flyboyprowler said:

I personally don't have a problem with the camera being selected each time reverse is used 

It would be ok if it came on as soon as you selected reverse

But mine was plugged into the sat nav and took a while for the satnav to recognise it, & the camera to start up.

Not what you want when you are shunting backwards and forwards into a space and people are waiting for you!!

3 hours ago, Thai Bry said:

It really acts as our rear view mirror,

Miine is a cheapo off ebay - its mounted high up and pointing down so I can see very accurately the bumper and back up to something and stop about 2cm from it.   Excellent for getting into tight spaces.

But the downside of that is it only shows about one metre behind the back doors so its useless as a rear view mirror.

1 hour ago, John52 said:

Miine is a cheapo off ebay - its mounted high up and pointing down so I can see very accurately the bumper and back up to something and stop about 2cm from it.   Excellent for getting into tight spaces.

But the downside of that is it only shows about one metre behind the back doors so its useless as a rear view mirror.

If I am on my own in the van and reversing up to a eg wall I simply jump out and point it down (it's on a swivel mount). It was fitted as an afterthought with a cheapo monitor nearly 20 years ago and is still good!

Jeremy