Gaslow refillable (again)

Ralph

Hi all!

I'm back with another stupid question, but this forum is usually pretty good at answering them :-D

I know there have been numerous threads on refillable gas and I've done some searching but there's one thing that I'm still unsure about and that's the remote filling "thing" The illustration shows it as being a similar thing to a fuel filler. How big is it in real life? and how does it fit? Do you cut a hole in the side of the van, in the gas locker door or what? I assume that once fitted you just connect a UK filler nozzle direct to it without any further adaptors?

Thanks in advance...

Guest caraprof
Ralph - 2007-08-28 7:39 PM Hi all! I'm back with another stupid question, but this forum is usually pretty good at answering them :-D I know there have been numerous threads on refillable gas and I've done some searching but there's one thing that I'm still unsure about and that's the remote filling "thing" The illustration shows it as being a similar thing to a fuel filler. How big is it in real life? and how does it fit? Do you cut a hole in the side of the van, in the gas locker door or what? I assume that once fitted you just connect a UK filler nozzle direct to it without any further adaptors? Thanks in advance...

It's a removable cap, not unlike the cap on a typical water tank inlet, but a bit smaller, probably about three inches in diameter at a guess. Ideally it should be fitted into the body of the motorhome. If you fit it into the door of your bottle locker the constant flexing of the tube as you open and close the door can damage it.

So to answer your question, yes, you really should cut a small round hole into your motorhome's body, somewhere close to the locker.

This shouldn't stop you from taking the Gaslow installation with you when you sell. You simply leave the filler in place but without the gubbins at the back of it. Or you can stick a reflector or something over the hole.

Hi,

The hole is a 70mm diameter one if you use the standard Gaslow filler. You can however buy brackets from Gaslow that allow you to mount the filler inside the gas locker. This obviates the need to go put a hole in your 'van. They are dear for what they are though at about £30+ for what is essentially a bit of bent steel. British LPG pumps fit straight into the Gaslow filler.

As an alternative you can mount a much smaller filler to the outside of your ‘van and these are available from CAK tanks, Autogas 2000, MTH and others. These fillers need about a 32mm hole drilling. If you go this route you will need a screw in adapter to enable British pumps to fit.

No matter what filler you fit, if you go abroad, you’ll need further adapters, but these are readily available from the firms above.

My system is from MTH, but the fillers are standard. The filler hose goes through the van floor (there MUST be a hole put in there to drain out any leaking gas which is heavier than air) to the filler cap which is screwed to the bottom cill of the van. The mounting bracket is no more than 35mm square.

Mel E

====

Usinmyknaus - 2007-09-01 11:19 PM

Thanks for that link Clive, I'm having a refillable 27L Stako tank fitted on Monday and I've printed the paragraph on re-fuelling. I'm sure that will be very useful at the first filling!

Bob

Here is a good illustrated guide to the two types of filling nozzle and how to use them.

http://tinyurl.com/ghv3k

Regards

Roger

Archived