Parking overnight in UK city

phantom

Hi

my brother has asked me to take him over to Liverpool to start university in my motorhome. The ferry crossing and travel around Liverpool should be fine but I am concerned about stopping overnight. Does any one know the situation with parking the van around the university area or if there is a proper place to do this or a safe place to keep her for the weekend. I only keep her on a drive at home or offical campsites- not sure about overnight city stops.

Thanks

Phantom

I don't suppose that it would be in your interest to join the Caravan Club, or Camping and Caravan Club if you don't habitually use mainland sites? There is certainly a members' only Caravan Club 'Certified Location' very close to the city centre and the Park and Ride facilities.

Though I am a CC member I most often rough camp and in situations like yours find that a phone call to the premises I'm visiting nearly always results in some helpful soul with local knowledge coming up with a solution. If you ring the Uni. and ask for the premises / security manager I wouldn't be at all surprised if they can't offer you a safe and secure spot for a couple of days.

It has to be worth a shot?

We visited Liverpool in May for a re-enactment event. We stayed in a temporary camp site for the event which had security in place but the local wildlife still managed to commit a number of thefts.

After the experience it is unlikely that we will ever go back to Liverpool again - but if we do we will definitely stay in a permanent camping/caravan site. I would certainly not recommend overnighting in a car park or on the street there.

Graham

You can come through the tunnel to Wirral and use the Caravan club site at Thursaston.

There is a ferry from Belfast that docks at Birkenhead which is on the Wirral.

GJH don't condem Liverpool because of 'local wildlife' it happens in any major city. Abbey Wood site in London has security staff as does Baltic Wharf in Bristol

yeti - 2007-08-31 9:23 AM

GJH don't condem Liverpool because of 'local wildlife' it happens in any major city. Abbey Wood site in London has security staff as does Baltic Wharf in Bristol

Perhaps I shoud have pointed out that we and friends have been to a large number of similar events, both in cities and more rural areas.

They include several visits to Wythenshawe, not an area with the best reputation, but this is the first time we've been met with such a response from locals.

I'm prepared to admit that it might have been a one-off and not unique to Liverpool - but as far as that city goes, once bitten twice shy I'm afraid.

Graham

Archived