Packing size of Silver Screens

gedger

I'm looking to buy a set of insulated screens for my autosleeper symbol (peugeot boxer). Having read through the various threads on this forum I think the general concensus is that outside fitted screens seem to do the best job.

One concern I have is the packed sized as we don't have much free space in our van. The Silver Screen website show their external screens packing down to the size of a rugby ball, this seems fantastic but I'm a bit skeptical. The Taylormade screens also get recommended but they have no packing sizes on their website.

Can anyone comment on packing size of their screens and whether packing them so tightly caused any damage?

Thanks in advance.

Well - having got this far. . . .

I recently asked our (excellent) dealer about external screens, and he sells another brand - not Silver Screens or the Taylor Made ones, but I didn't get the name. He didn't have one in stock for the Peugeot Sevel or I would have bought one, at about £70 if I remember correctly - including VAT I think. (Uncertain about the price as several items were discussed and the phone kept ringing, so the chat was sporadic at best.).

They look good, and I doubt if CMC would sell them if they were rubbish as they have a prestigious award to live up to. They seemed to pack quite conveniently into a long flat package, probably as long as the depth of the windscreen and about a foot wide by four inches deep. I'm guessing a bit here as I didn't look too closely when told they didn't have one for our van.

If you are interested you could email them a query and get some accurate details. Make it "F.a.o. Peter" - he is the workshop manager and deals with the screen sales.

http://www.cotswoldmotorcaravans.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Dave

We have a Taylor made external screen cover for the older Talbot Express van which has a similar sized windscreen. The screen cover packs into a bag about the height of the windscreen (30" or so) and it is about 10" diameter but could be compressed to smaller I'm sure. We store ours in the bathroom and it doesn't create any problems for us in there.

D.

I can get my Taylormade screens under the passenger seat of our Ducato base van. It's a squeeze but you would be amazed how they can be compressed and always fluff up again once released.

Guest caraprof

I would urge you to find a way of carrying them if you can. My bag is the same as Dave Newell's above and we actually keep it in back of the wardrobe and it doesn't seem to affect the clothes that are hanging there. Another good place is behind the seats, assuming that, like my 'van, there's a bulkhead. We slide the seat forward a little, put the bag in and then slide it back.

The reason by the way that we use the wardrobe in summer is because we manage to fit a Lafuma reclining chair behind each seat. When it gets too cold for outdoor recliners we can then put the silver screens there.

The reason that I urge you to carry them is that I think that they are superb! We have a curtain that shuts off the cab but with the silver screens on there's no need to draw the curtain and the 'van seems much more spacious when the cab area is open. You can also utilise the swivel cab seats as well of course if the cab area remains open.

If you have those messy internal screens by the way, you'll probably find that fitting external ones is actually a bit quicker.

I've just been on a four day rally and we didn't move for the whole time. I put my external screens on and during the day just pulled down the front section, which then lets in loads of light. My screens are Taylor Made and they allow you to fold down the front part, which can easily be held down by the windscreen wipers. This means of course that you are not constantly taking them on and off in the morning and evening.

So, my recommendation is to definitely go for a set and find a place to store them. You won't regret it.

J9withdogs - 2007-08-31 10:17 PM

Mine are enormous, and I always have trouble getting them back in *-)

Try going up a size or two then Janine. (lol)

I have used Silver Screens for a number of years. They have always been tightly rolled up and then secured by a couple of tape ties. These prevent the screen from unrolling when placing it in the storage bag.

For my Renault Master, tightly rolled it measures about 750mm long x 150mm in diameter. (30" by 6" in Blue Peter speak). This is much smaller than the generous storage bag supplied.

Hi Richard- Do you really need insulated screens? Are you intending to visit colder countrys? I have used uninsulated screens for years and find them perfectly acceptable in this country to stop condensation on the inside of the windowscreen and perfect to stop heat build up in hotter weather. The best thing of all is they do roll up really small, which is what you are after. Ours fit the boxer screen and roll up to aprox 18"x 4" dia from Talormade with a pull down front for extra light during the day. chas

chas - 2007-09-01 9:38 AM

Hi Richard- Do you really need insulated screens? Are you intending to visit colder countrys? I have used uninsulated screens for years and find them perfectly acceptable in this country to stop condensation on the inside of the windowscreen and perfect to stop heat build up in hotter weather. The best thing of all is they do roll up really small, which is what you are after. Ours fit the boxer screen and roll up to aprox 18"x 4" dia from Talormade with a pull down front for extra light during the day. chas

Thanks for this Chas. I wonder if these were what I saw at the dealer's (see post near start of thread). I thought they were neither Taylor Made nor Siver Screen, but could easily be wrong and yours sound like a good compromise.

Does £70 sound about the right price, and do they stop condensation if the outside temperature is a few degrees below freezing? Fiamma do a similar set for about £35, but no pull-down I think. Any opinion on these?

Thanks in advance - sorry for so many questions.

Dave

Thanks for all the responses, great forum here.

I have a secondary use for the blinds, to keep the light out. I don't know what autosleepers were thinking of when they put cream curtains (and cream carpets!!) in our van, they obviously never use their vans themselves! They don't keep the light out and tend to show dirt....

However, I think I may wait till the next local show (peterborough) and then have a look round at the options or have a chat with the neighbours next time we are away (wales in a couple of weeks).

Cheers

Richard

We use silver screens 'solar frost', they fold flat and so take up no room at all.

Not as efficient as the padded ones I suppose, but they keep the van cool and private and you can leave the cab windows open.

We use them in winter to keep the worst of the cold out because we no longer have a garage. We're really fair weather campers, and only really use the van in winter if we're staying over at friends or relatives and so can always plug in and warm up with heaters.

http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/solarfrost.html

B-)

Hi Dave- Although we dont camp in freezing conditions, there have been times when the outside temperature would have been below freezing and have only found slight condensation in the corners of the windscreen, which as been no trouble to wipe away with a leather. As stated ours cost about £45 from Taylormade about 2 years ago for our new Boxer. chas

We have Silver Screens for our Duetto and use them constantly. We carry ours in the toilet compartment. As they are soft they cause no damage to the fittings. Didn't bother with the three part ones this time.

Once on site we either fit them straight away or they lie on the cabfloor crossways from the passenger side to about the gear lever.

They are great at keeping the light level nice and dark in the Summer.

Just to be really odd we have a set of Fiamma interior ones for use on the drive to keep any sun fading to a minimum, we also made them from pundshop windscreen ones for the rest of the windows for the drive too.

Can recommend Cotswold Motorcaravans too they have been really good with us.

Archived