New A/C fited and working.

flyboyprowler

We have recently fitted a new Truma Comfort A/C unit in the Niesmann. The unit is fitted in a locker in the garage and air is ducted to the bedroom. All is well and with the fan only operating the noise level is fine but when the compressor cuts in for cold air, then the noise level rises considerably and pulses. It would make sleeping difficult were we to use it all night. So, my question is-- Is the noise of the compressor normal, or have we got a duff unit? The fitters say all is normal and to expect noise, but I am not convinced. 

I think your Truma air-conditioner is a SAPHIR COMFORT model.

This Truma webpage may be off interest

https://www.truma.com/gb/truma-guides/how-to-find-the-right-air-conditioner-for-your-caravan/

and I note the advice

Noise Level

A low noise level is especially important at night. This is when caravan air conditioners should run as quietly as possible, so that you and the other people at the campsite can sleep undisturbed. Storage box systems are installed in the vehicle and are therefore very quiet. The sleep function on Truma air conditioners ensures particularly quiet cooling at night.

Tip: Installing a Truma sound muffler reduces the indoor air noise of Saphir storage box systems by 50 per cent. Two Truma sound mufflers reduce noise by up to 90 per cent.

I am not an expert on indoor air conditioners but I have had two roof mounted ones.

A Dometic 1600 and now a Truma Aventa. They are certainly not silent but not to the point of not letting you sleep. A lot depends on how they were installed and I do not believe the noise comes from the intake of air from outside but from the compressor.

Were the manufacturer's installation instructions followed?

Maybe some rubber silent blocks could help.

8 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

I think your Truma air-conditioner is a SAPHIR COMFORT model.

This Truma webpage may be off interest

https://www.truma.com/gb/truma-guides/how-to-find-the-right-air-conditioner-for-your-caravan/

and I note the advice

Noise Level

A low noise level is especially important at night. This is when caravan air conditioners should run as quietly as possible, so that you and the other people at the campsite can sleep undisturbed. Storage box systems are installed in the vehicle and are therefore very quiet. The sleep function on Truma air conditioners ensures particularly quiet cooling at night.

Tip: Installing a Truma sound muffler reduces the indoor air noise of Saphir storage box systems by 50 per cent. Two Truma sound mufflers reduce noise by up to 90 per cent.

Thank you  for the information and maybe a muffler may be the answer. However, after a quick look I cannot find anything that can tell me if the muffler also affects the cooling efficiency. Having stood outside the van, the compressor running is not too annoying, but inside it throbs!

The fitters assure me that the fitting is correct and there is virtually no vibration when the unit is running. We are returning to the UK for a few weeks on Tuesday, so may seek a second opinion in the UK.

12 hours ago, flyboyprowler said:

Thank you  for the information and maybe a muffler may be the answer. However, after a quick look I cannot find anything that can tell me if the muffler also affects the cooling efficiency....

The muffler is shown in this (sample) advert

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166577246095

It is SUPPOSED to be simple to fit, but how simple may well depend on whether the original installation has allowed for a muffler (or mufflers) to be included. Retrofitting may be much more challenging. I wouldn't have thought it would impact on the cooling efficiency, but I don't know how it 'muffles'.

Anyway, as the muffler is inserted in the cooling system and your complaint is about compressor-noise, it seems unlikely that a muffler would help.

(There are a few on-line discussions/reviews of Truma Saphir units, but none of them seem to mention compressor noise.)

4 hours ago, Derek Uzzell said:

The muffler is shown in this (sample) advert

https://www.tyres-outlet.co.uk/product/falken/ziex-ze310-ecorun/195-55-r15/r-364735

It is SUPPOSED to be simple to fit, but how simple may well depend on whether the original installation has allowed for a muffler (or mufflers) to be included. Retrofitting may be much more challenging. I wouldn't have thought it would impact on the cooling efficiency, but I don't know how it 'muffles'.

Anyway, as the muffler is inserted in the cooling system and your complaint is about compressor-noise, it seems unlikely that a muffler would help.

(There are a few on-line discussions/reviews of Truma Saphir units, but none of them seem to mention compressor noise.)

Derek, nothing seen in the advert as sent, seems to be only tyres. I am going to talk to Truma direct when I get a chance to get any info I can.

I've edited my earlier posting to include the advert I had intended to refer to - it was this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166577246095

That will teach me to participate on multiple forums simultaneously.. 😀