The Endgame

Jackal

One of my many ruminations on what new van I should buy is which type of vehicle sells more easily when one gives up the game?

Whilst I love motorhoming, there will come a day when we all have to hang up our keys and remote control fobs. So what sort of van will fly off the pages of MMM when one wants to recoup what's left after depreciation has taken it's toll?

So far I've had all manner of advice... LHD A Classes, Jazzy BritBuilds with ovens, Italian Family wagons, German Low Profiles...

Just a quick thought. I would certainly go for one with an oven, but not one of the foreign models with the oven at ceiling height. This is an older persons hobby and us oldies must have our Sunday roasts! For similar reasons I would also suggest a maximum weight of 3500kg to avoid shrinking your market by excluding many oldies due to health issues with the heavier models, etc.

I can't think of anything else right now as this oldie needs some sleep!

Couldn't sleep as your question was on my mind, so a few more suggestions.

Go for a model with: minimum overhang, decent payload, good weight distribution, inboard water tanks, decent storage (in and out), fully adjustable driving seat, roomy lounge, washroom and kitchen, a layout having no 'traffic jam' spots, comfort and good ambiance, good build quality, value for money, and the smallest size you can happily live with. I have tried to avoid personal preference items for obvious reasons. I could go on but I'm feeling tired again!

Should you find such a vehicle please let me know as I'm also in the market.

Have fun.

I wouldn,t buy a yank either as they have a very limited attraction in the UK (about 5% of the UK sales) so hence a small market for second hand sales. They are BIG and as such you are limited where you can take them. Then there is the running cost. All these points limit their attraction to a wider market.

Whatever you get it must be turbo diesel and acceptable to Ken Livingstone if you want to attract the London purchasers.

I agree about the Oven being necessary, only the latest Hymers have these. If you are reasonably tall then the eye level oven/grills could be OK.

Personally at 6 feet 2 tall they save my back compared to a more traditional full cooker but you won,t get a full sized Christmas turkey in one.

Clive - 2007-09-03 3:05 PM

I wouldn,t buy a yank either as they have a very limited attraction in the UK (about 5% of the UK sales) so hence a small market for second hand sales. They are BIG and as such you are limited where you can take them. Then there is the running cost. All these points limit their attraction to a wider market.

8-) That's because of the BIG (I mean really BIG) mark up by the importer dealers. We have had our Newmar in some places where some wouldn't take there little camper. Just my H&HO. (lol)

8-) BTW. I should just mention I have seen that some NEW European diesels only reporting 13.8 mpg. 8-)

Clive - 2007-09-03 3:05 PM

Whatever you get it must be turbo diesel and acceptable to Ken Livingstone if you want to attract the London purchasers.

QUOTE]

I think the only means of personal transport accecptable to Ken is a Bike ! >:-)

1. Get the savings in at the start and buy one a couple of years old that way the largest part of depreciation will have taken place.

2. A important part of buying a motorhome is the pleasure and use you yourself are going to get out of it so buy one to suit your needs.

3. Would get one with a 2,8 turbo diesel engine as they seem to be popular.

4. Don't rule out a Hymer as they are well built comfortable vans and a lot of people say I've always wanted a Hymer (as we did) and not been disapointed.

5. This is from a womans point of view, but do have a point of view on it.

6. Good luck with your search and hope you get a lot of pleasure before you hang up your keys. Carol.

Thanks for your contributions one and all.

As a Hymer owner, I can vouch for the "wish I'd bought on of those" mentality of a lot of people but can't really see what the fuss is about unless we're talking A Class.

As for this oven thing, it's true, ever since I got into this game, the Brits have almost coveted this one item more than the van itself! I really fail to see the appeal... but love to use it on unsuspecting sales people. "I'd like to offer you 30K for that one but it hasn't got an oven so shall we say 28K?" "Done"!!!

Archived