Inverter Query.

Hi,    I have two 95Ah AGM batteries and 100w solar panel, my query is if I use a 900w kettle or toaster at 12v that is equal to 75Ah, if the items are used for 5 minutes which is 1/12th of an hour, does that mean I've used approx. 6.3 Ah from the leisure batteries or am I totally wrong.

I want to get an inverter fitted so I'm just checking my theory.     Thanks.

Watts = Volts x Amps so yes that sounds about right except there will be losses in the inverter making it 7 - 8 Ah.

So its do-able but I wouldn't run a kettle off a battery because it uses so much power that could be saved for something else. 

The capacity of batteries is normally quoted for a 20hr discharge rate, and sometimes at the 100hr rate. If you discharge at higher rates, then effective capacity will be seriously reduced. See if you can find maker's figures for capacity at 1hr, and 5hr rates.  Take an average, and then see how it looks.  Probably not so rosy.

Alan

• Thanks 1

While AGM batteries are pretty robust things I would be checking the maximum discharge current recommended by the battery manufacturer. While you may well be able to draw 75A it may well significantly reduce your batteries lifespan. LiFePO4 batteries can tolerate much higher discharge rates and would be my recommendation if you really need to use an electric kettle but as others have said gas would be a better option if available 

• Like 1