Broken cork

Wingpete

Wingpete - 2007-09-07 12:20 PM

I have seen, but forgotten, that there is a method of removing the remains of a broken wine bottle cork without contaminating the wine. Anyone care to remind me what that method is ?

Here it is: the tried and tested remedy:

1. Take bottle in a firm grip with both hands.

2. Put bottle to lips.

3. Hold teeth clenched.

4. Invert bottle, and allow wine to sieve past teeth into mouth and thence glug on down throat.

5. When bottle is empty, remove from mouth and spit out pieces of cork.

6. Run round site naked singing " I'm a little fairy"; before collapsing in stupor into some complete strangers fold-up chair.

(Works for me every time)

(lol)

Yeh ! OK very amusing.

Michelle, how can I save it when passing through my sieve.

It's got holes in it !

Laying it on its side will disturb the sediment of this 50 year old vintage.

And I gave up naked fairy imitations when my girth expanded.

I recall a method explianed a while back that involved the use of a piece of thin metal slid past the cork to ease it out without disturbing the contents and not breaking up the cork.

Pity they didn't all use screw caps 50 yrs ago. :$ 8-)

If the pieces or cork are actually sitting on the top of the wine you could try putting a straw into the bottle and sucking on a piece of cork and then gently pulling the straw out with the cork attached. You might, if you're not careful though, find that you suck out the wine and not the cork and I understand tha wine drunk through a straw is supposed to be much more potent ... something to do with the added 'air' that you suck up!!! :D

• 2 months later...
Wingpete - 2007-09-10 8:21 AM

Yeh ! OK very amusing.

Michelle, how can I save it when passing through my sieve.

It's got holes in it !

Laying it on its side will disturb the sediment of this 50 year old vintage.

And I gave up naked fairy imitations when my girth expanded.

I recall a method explianed a while back that involved the use of a piece of thin metal slid past the cork to ease it out without disturbing the contents and not breaking up the cork.

Pity they didn't all use screw caps 50 yrs ago. :$ 8-)

50yrs old, you,ve got some willpower :D

A "Screwpull" corkscrew is very good at extracting dodgy corks intact, and at retrieving bits of cork left behing by other corkscrews.  Screwpulls are the ones with a continuous, teflon coated, screw that first penetrates right through the cork, and then lifts it out.  There are copies around, but my experience is that the Screwpull has a finer gauge screw and a sharper point, so it is less inclined to detach bits of cork into the wine when it breaks through, and because of the finer screw, is less inclined to break soft corks.

Yes Alan, someone resisted the opening of this 50 yr old, but it was a present to me from an eminent Frenchwoman I know.

And yes Brian, a decent old fashioned corkscrew still works best, The turns are made so as to grip on the pulling edges, so not spiltting the cork, BUT I had left my one in France at the time !

Now bought another one, so can open bottles correctly at home and elsewhere.

:$

there is a type of opener - known as the butlers friend - two thin pieces of metal go in the bottle top either side of the cork - doesn't break the cork - can also be replaced - presumably after sampling the wine and replacing with cheaper - hence butlers friend - cannot be spotted

BUT there is a knack to it - I used to be able to do it, in my misspent youth - but I can't for the life of me do it now!!!

B-)

Hi bigal55. I had opened the bottle but part of the cork broke away and left me unable to pour, or recover the broken part, stuck in the lower part of the bottle neck. My concern was to avoid "corking" the contents by allowing the cork to fall into the wine.

The answer I found, after a bit of searching for advice, here and elsewhere, was to use a fine needle syringe (medical type) which had been slightly modified by a little nick in the needle, to make a small barb.

Carefully pushed into the cork, using very little pressure, the barb held sufficiently to enable the remainder to be extracted without further problems.

The wine was magnificent. Have to go back to my friends who live in Aramits, near Pau for replenishment, but not of that vintage.

It was the last bottle she had.

Archived