Internet away from home

Way2Go

Ocsid - 2007-09-26 7:57 AM . . . . Charges of 0.73p per KB apply until £1 per day (midnight to midnight) is spent.

I've read this over and over again and still don't understand this bit.  If its £0.73p per KB and you use 2KB that is £1.46 but their maximum charge is £1.00 so that's all you pay?  Right??

Am I missing something because this doesn't make sense at all.  £1.00 per 24 hour period seems silly.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for this but there's still a gap in my understanding.

If I just use the phone as a modem then it will be making a telephone call to the ISP. That will just rack up charges at 15p per minute (or whatever) and won't be using the web'n'walk. In order to do that you must set up the phone to make a data call (GPRS? OR 3G?)

If I've misunderstood then I hope someone can explain please :'(

You wouldn't believe, from my so obvious dimness, that I used to do this stuff for a living 8-) I was employed as a technical support guy for modems and networking...

Just checked the link you gave and I seem to be correct. It says:

If you are dialing our local dial up number which is 1470 0845 604 1251, then you should get a local call charge. The costs depends of each mobile operator. If you need to local dial up number for Spain, it is 901929200

Way2Go - 2007-09-26 8:23 AM
Ocsid - 2007-09-26 7:57 AM . . . . Charges of 0.73p per KB apply until £1 per day (midnight to midnight) is spent.

I've read this over and over again and still don't understand this bit. If its £0.73p per KB and you use 2KB that is £1.46 but their maximum charge is £1.00 so that's all you pay? Right??

Am I missing something because this doesn't make sense at all. £1.00 per 24 hour period seems silly.

What Dave says seems to confirm this. He's obviously proved it :-S

Ralph - 2007-09-26 8:31 AM . . . That will just rack up charges at 15p per minute (or whatever) and won't be using the web'n'walk. In order to do that you must set up the phone to make a data call (GPRS? OR 3G?) If I've misunderstood then I hope someone can explain please

In the short experiment I carried out Ralph, that's exactly what happened.  Tesco charges 20p per minute and I was on for approx 10 minutes = £2.25 (it was probably more like 11minutes) that works out at £12 per hour compared to Dave's £1 per 24 hours.

I'm not aware there is another way of setting it up, it still needs to dial a local number.

i set mine up way back in May when I was going to the Newbury show. I can't remember the details of how to set it up. I bought the phone from T mobile but if you have a compatible phone and the appropriate software I'm sure it can be done. Ask the customer services people at your phone company, I'm sure they will help you.

D.

Can I clear this up please? (I'm a computer consultant)

Most mobile operators charge per Kb download and it's normally 70 odd pence per Kb. The T-mobile system is that they charge 73p per Kb with a mmaximum of £1 per 24 hours. (If I'm away for a week in the motorhome, it used to cost me around £25 with Vodafone to collect my e-mails - it now costs me £7 with T-Mobile)

Yes - you're not supposed to connect your phone to the computer to act as a modem because, presumably, this will eat up your 40Mb limit. Whether you do or not is up to you. If you do, you should disable pictures and attachment automatic downloads in your e-mail prog. This will save bucketloads of Mbs.

When you get your PAYG SIM card, you have to ask T-Mobile to set you up for data access. This is painless and simple - they send you a text message/program and you run it. Done. In fact, if you search around their web site you will find the same thing there where you put yiour mobile no. and make of phone/model in and you will automatically receive the setup text.

Yes, it does work with GPRS - in fact, it is difficult to get the full speed 3G with their PAYG system - but that's another story.

Hope this clears up the questions.

Bill.

whbs, excellent posting very informative.

One further question jumps to mind please.

Do you achieve an active browser without further "todo" or have you got to have a special IPS, with username and password like on WiFi.

Sorry to be a pain,

John

Way2Go: Internet access by mobile is not charged as a phone call. You can be connected all day (tying up your phone) and you are only charged with the amount you download.

Ocsid: Your normal browser and everything else works as normal - with the exception of sending e-mail which has to be done through T-Mobile's SMTP or your internet provider's web site or your Hotmail account or the like.

Bill

whbs - 2007-09-26 10:20 AM

Can I clear this up please? (I'm a computer consultant)

Thanks Bill, most useful. Don't go away as I'm sure we'll need some more help :'(

On the question of reducing your bandwidth consumption, remember to turn off any auto updates from virus checkers etc. Do it manually when you get home!

Guest starspirit

I too spent some time looking at T Mobiles website. It does seem that all of the web n walk phones come with both a connecting cable and the software to enable specific use as a modem.

I did not realise that it will work with a gprs signal as I was under the impression that you needed a 3G connection?

It does seem however that you do need a 3G and GPRS phone as none of the gprs phones that I found were web n walk compatible.

Or as a computer dummy have I got it all wrong again?

Richard,

I think you've fallen into the same trap as I did. The "compatable" phones are the ones that allow you to surf the web from the handset. As they don't intend you to use a laptop they assume that you need this in order to use the service. As Dave and Bill have shown us, there's more than one way...

I'm waiting for my (free) SIM to experiment.

Regarding 3G, I've found with my Vodafone card that 3G is not available for much of the time anyway and it drops back to GPRS.

Guest starspirit

Thanks Ralph - yes I too saw the free sim and, being the tight fisted old git that I am, ordered one!

I meant to mention it earlier, but being a forgetful old git too, I forgot.

I have an unlocked Nokia phone into which the sim should fit but whether I can get a cable to connect the old Nokia to the laptop is another story so I might well end up having to lash out £60 on a new 3G phone.

But at least I will have 2 phones on the same service so that I can talk to myself even more for less cost.

starspirit - 2007-09-26 9:34 PM

I have an unlocked Nokia phone into which the sim should fit but whether I can get a cable to connect the old Nokia to the laptop is another story

Try Ebay before you lash out. I got my data cable for just a few quid.

starspirit - 2007-09-26 9:50 PM

I doubt my 5 year old Nokia has such modernities so it looks like a new phone after all.

Check the menu. If you have Communications and GPRS under that then it will. Otherwise get your credit card out. Best of luck.

whbs - 2007-09-26 9:14 PM Way2Go: Internet access by mobile is not charged as a phone call. You can be connected all day (tying up your phone) and you are only charged with the amount you download.

Thanks for that.

Interestingly enough, my Nokia 6230i came with a CD to install the Nokia PC Suite (just downloaded the latest version from the Nokia site) and there's an option in there to connect to the internet.

I clicked it, set the network operator to Tesco UK and it connected me via GPRS.  I went into my browser and it said "found site, downloading from site" then I got the "This page cannot be displayed" message for every site I tried.  I tried temporarily turning off the firewall but it must be something else.

I was pushed for time so I'll need to play later. 

starspirit - 2007-09-26 9:57 PM

Can't see any mention and even if it did, wouldn't I still need some software to enable the two to communicate - which I also don't have?

We can't go on meeting like this Richard, people will start to talk :-D

If you don't have GPRS settings on the phone then it looks like it's a no go.

If you do have it then you can use it via the Nokia software that's downloadable from their website (Nokia Data Suite)

I got this piece of info from Virgin (my current provider) but when I found out that they were going to charge me £5 per Mb I didn't pursue it.

I have a Vodafone card but that costs £2 per Mb which is still pretty pricey, so this Web'nWalk is very attractive.

Guest starspirit

And I thought that talk was good?

I think I might just order the cheapest new TMobile phone that shows as being web n walk enabled and give it a go.

As there is no 3G signal down 'ere in darkest Pembroke - and in many other non urban areas - as long as it works on GPRS as well that's all that really matters.

Thanks for your help Ralph and everyone - much appreciated

• 3 weeks later...

Archived