Aerial removal

FFO

Hello, First time poster. :-)

We picked up our Pioneer Magellan last weekend (53 plate) and it has a push up and slide back heki rooflight. When trying it out at the dealer and last weekend at Clumber we though nothing of the fact it only opened part way (our previous van only had the raising rooflights) thinking that was the extent of it's travel.

Last evening I had it open and when looking out onto the roof noticed the bloody aerial had been installed in such a position that it stopped it opening. *-) I can't believe that Autocruise would install it in such a position and that the previous owners didn't notice (perhaps they like us thought that was the extent of it's travel).

Enough waffling, what we'd like to do if at all possible is remove it completely (as it's one of our rules never to take a TV with us) and then place a thin circular grp plate in it's place, has anyone done this (is it easy), is it even possible or advise on where it might be done?

Thanks.

If you remove it . dont forget to remove the cable from the amp take off the plug and feed it back out the hole.and leave the amp off. the blanking plug should stop just below the level of the opening roof light.if not you will have to remove the base and seal the hole in the roof.with a plate and mastic.

martin r c

If it's one of the Status type aerials that is mounted on a pole that you push up and down then you can get a blanking plate from the manufacturer specifically so that you can remove it (and presumably install it on another van?) and make sure that the remaining hole is watertight.

Thanks all it is the flying saucer type and it's excellent news that there is one available already to purchase, and I don't think my radio is attached as there is a separate one on the front wing.

I presume the sealant I've got for using around showers and sinks will do the job of sealing the plate from the weather.

Cheers.

Globetrotter - 2007-09-13 12:20 PM

I would suggest that you dont use bathroom silicone as it wont last. Instead use Sikaflex or Carafax sealant, available friom eBay or caravan shops.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice on that, having water ingress into the wardrobe is something I don't need. :-D

FFO - 2007-09-13 2:09 PM

Globetrotter - 2007-09-13 12:20 PM

Thanks for the advice on that, having water ingress into the wardrobe is something I don't need. :-D

Too true, it happened to me. Didn't realise I had been 'patched' until the water flooded in. Took the cover off, resealed it & put it back on.

Used ordinary sealant, though - next time I'll get the proper stuff.

Archived