The great door bore.

crinklystarfish

I don’t get why the motorhome press bang on about the siting of the habitation door of some ‘continental’ ‘vans being a disadvantage. I’m sure that you’ve all read about how habitation doors that exit on the UK/>/> offside are deemed worthy of critique?

Why? It’s not as if on most occasions the driver doesn’t exit on the UK/>/> offside as a matter of course, and I read no protest in the press that condemns this particular manner of egress.

In any event, just how often do people park on the nearside of a busy UK/>/> road and alight? I’m sure that on the few occasions that they do, they have the good sense not to recklessly hurl pets and children into the carriageway?

Furthermore, why is there no condemnation of UK/>/> handed ‘vans that might be used on the continent?

Am I missing something, or is this just lazy and uncritically spewed out journalism?

Crinkly,

What I think you're missing here is that these reviewers are writing their reviews for a UK audience, and that the vast majority of motorhomes bought in the UK never venture abroad EVER - or only so rarely that it doesn't count!

So they are quite right to point out defficiencies that could affect a UK user - just as they also point out the lack of cooking facilities in most continental built motorhomes. That's significant because a significant percentage of Brit owners cook in their m'homes, but most continentals don't.

Mel E

====

Guest caraprof

By coincidence in this morning's Telegraph there's a report on the new Mini estate car. They make a big fuss about the fact that it has just one rear door, which is on the offside and actually call it a 'suicide' door!

The makers claim that putting a door on the nearside would have meant moving the petrol tank and filler, which would have been uneconomical.

"Hang on" thinks I, does this mean that every time I exit my car I'm risking suicide? Should I have been scrambling over the centre console and transmission tunnel so that I can get out on the nearside?

In fact I can't ever remember when passengers in four-seater cars that I've owned have ever done it. They all tend to exit on the side that they're seated on, whilst exercising care that nothing is coming. There's even a risk exiting on the nearside as flinging open a car door just as a jogger is running past could have serious consequences.

Yep, a bit of journalistic hype methinks!

I take Mel/>'s point regarding the fact many UK/>/> 'vans will never see a ferry, but I still don't buy the fact that a habitation door on the UK/>/> offside is, in reality, any handicap.

Unless there is some other compelling reason that anyone can think of?

I really don't see why the press see it as an issue. I accept it's not a big deal, but I'd rather just see factual reviews and not be subliminally ‘guided’ into thinking there may be issues where in fact there aren't.

I really am open to ideas on this one though.

Quite agree Crinkly.

But what about if there are no doors for driver or passenger entry/exit (as I mentioned earlier)? I'm not sure I would be too happy about that, but am I also being a bit paranoid do you think?

Regards

Dave

(Edited for clarity - once again :$ :$ :$ :$ )

No Dave/>, I don’t think you are paranoid.

I’m not advocating a ‘no habitation door’ scenario (though it wouldn’t bother me, and would maximise space), it’s just the question of whether it’s a real problem that habitation doors exit on the UK/>/> offside. We are constantly told it is a ‘problem’ for vehicles used in the UK/>/>, I just don’t understand why journalists have this view.

Agreed Steve

The habitation door issue just isn't anything like as crucial as the press make out, and if your van crosses the Channel in either direction you will have no option but to get out on the "wrong" side either here or there. (Tried to edit and explain more succinctly - failed I think, but you know what I mean)

Even with small kids it shouldn't be dangerous as presumably parents would take special care and would be at pains to warn repeatedly of the danger if travelling abroad (in a UK van) and stopping on a layby. The same would be true of a continental van used in the UK.

I was assuming the presence of a habitation door (tricky otherwise, come to think of it) when asking about the lack of cab doors.

Regards

Dave

P.S. I've made a right pig's ear of this. Senility gets ever closer!)

When we were looking to change our van earlier in the year I actually specifically wanted a habitation door on the offside. This is because whether in the UK or abroad, it means that I have a door on each side of the van that is fairly easy to get in and out of - the passenger door for the Uk and the habitation door for abroad (assuming I've parked correctly on the road that is!). If the habitation door was on the UK side it would mean that sometimes we would have to get in and out through the drivers door, not easy with bags, dogs etc!!! 8-)

I do think there is a point to make regarding "A" class Motorhomes.

Especially those that only have one door on the UK offside and NO cab doors.

IMHO they are not satisfactory for family use in the UK ALL exiting on the offside.

But then I prefer a minimum of two exits.

This is ALL to do with the fact that 'WE' over here drive on the left side of the road,and 'They' over there drive on the Right side of the road.

Look at which side fuel filler caps are located, on 4x4's which way the rear door opens (if a side opener) usually.... if a vehicle was designed for/in a left side of road driving country , UK,Japan,Australia etc., then 'things' including Habitation doors 'favour' the 'kerbside' to stop people walking in the road any more than they have to. Makes perfect sense (to me anyway). BUT, I don't think legislation should come into the equation ! ie Habitation doors should be able to be where-ever the maker wants to put them, Left ,right,rear or on the roof (if he can get any buyers for such an innovation !!!) Right of sale and use should be open to both Right ,left, Rear etc., habitation doors in any Country. They are in the UK. What about the rest of 'Them' over there ?? :D

By the way 'The Left side is the Right side,the Right side is the Wrong side'

Many years ago , i was coming home from holiday on a continental type coach [ door at wrong side ] we stopped for a break in a layby on a very busy road , two teenage passsengers exited the coach by that door , one of them was unfortunately struck by a passing car and killed instantly .

Since then ive never been interested in motorhomes with the door on the wrong side and never will no matter how much i like the style or whatever , i never go abroad so its always going to be a nearside door for me anyway .

caraprof - 2007-09-12 1:47 PM

By coincidence in this morning's Telegraph there's a report on the new Mini estate car. They make a big fuss about the fact that it has just one rear door, which is on the offside and actually call it a 'suicide' door

Not sure that it is relevant to the wider debate here, but the term 'suicide door' isn't applied because it is on the offside, but is applied to doors on either side hinged at the rear, and thus opening against the direction of travel.There are various stories justifying the derivation of the term.

With a LHD vehicle the driver always gets out on the safe side when parking on U.K nearside. Therefore U/K van is far more dangerous in this case. Nuff said.

My Rapido's a left hooker and I don't see what al the paranoia is about. Either to drive or park up and alight safely. In fact it comes as second nature to just get in and drive and the same with my RHD cars You don't even have to think about it. Plus I saved a nice few bob when I bought it and won't lose too much as I plan to keep it 'till it falls appart or I win the lottery, in which case I won't care. :D

I can see a couple of disadvantages to having door open into traffic, how dangerous are they, well make your own mind up.

When a driver exits vehicle they would look over shoulder and or look in mirror to see if traffic is coming, a quick and easy thing to do, when getting out habitation door often it is not easy to see what traffic is coming without bending down or standing away from door to find a window with view, this can result in people openning door and poking head out to see traffic, or just stepping out.

When stopped and young children are on the loose they may go out door the moment your back is turned.

Model T fords and old Bugatti's where designed so that driver would alight direct to pavement

I take your point re the sight-lines colin, and agree in these circumstances a bit more care may be necessary, but how often do we actually stop and exit right on a carriageway? I'd guess it's a rarity for most users. Most of the stops, I'd wager, will be in car-parks, campsites, fields, or otherwise off road. Which is why I still see no compelling reason for the standard line in magazines that a habitation exit on the UK offside is worthy of note. To my mind it just isn't an issue worthy of column inches and I just feel its a habit the press have fallen into without much critical thought. I'd rather have more facts than lazy journalism.

Anyway, I've enjoyed the views and hope that the thread has provoked a bit of thought.

Archived