Importing from France.

Kev.

Hi,

has anyone any experiance of importing from France?

I have been in touch with a French dealer who explained the process.

I pay them the full price and they give me all the relevent ownership documents etc.

I then return to Britain and register the vehicle and get the number plates made. (Presumably tax and insure as well).

I then go back to France, put the new plates on and return to UK.

Does this sound like the normal process? Is there a posibility that the vehicle will need to be inspected before registration? (obviously not possible if it's in France)

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest JudgeMental
Kev. - 2007-09-12 6:53 PM

Does this sound like the normal process?

Is there a posibility that the vehicle will need to be inspected before registration? (obviously not possible if it's in France)

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Err .....no to the first & yes to the second

ask him to lend you his trade plates and post back straight away - only way you will be fully insured....

most drive back on 3rd party export plates.

have never heard of this dealers approach

Can't see that it's wrong in either case ? IMHO but having said that seems an awful lot for you to do.

He's gladly taking your money so why can't they take you to the shuttle /port on trade plates .

Just a thought lots of messing for you why can't you bring it home and then sort it out at this end is that not possible.

Thanks for the replies,

If the dealer takes the vehicle to the port on his plates and then leaves me, will a ferry/tunnel take a vehicle without a reg? I suspect not.

Obviously the German way is fine as you have a reg for the vehicle that will get you all the way home. (although only 3rd party).

Hi,

I'm vague on this (no change there), but the following may be worth investigating.

In UK, trade plates can only be used on a vehicle TEMPORARILY in your possession. I've got the DVLA advice sheet somewhere on file (mainly because it says that two vehicles tied together count as one vehicle). If you have bought the vehicle, you can't use trade plates....unless you are a trader intending to sell it.

I understand that DVLA now wish to inspect all imported motor caravans. Something to do with ensuring they comply with whatever regulations that people want not to comply with. ????

I don't think DVLA will register a vehicle unless it is insured.

A kit-built vehicle can be insured on its chassis number and driven to an MOT without number plates, by prior arrangement. I don't know how that applies to an imported vehicle.

The SVA was introduced to restrict the back-door entry of new vehicles into the UK. Kit cars were caught up in the same net.

DVLA have an advice pamphlet, with on-line access. Try

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583

which will give you advice you would rather not know.

Guest JudgeMental
Kev. - 2007-09-12 8:00 PM

Thanks for the replies,

If the dealer takes the vehicle to the port on his plates and then leaves me, will a ferry/tunnel take a vehicle without a reg? I suspect not.

Wrong, but call them to make sure. but you will have a fully comprehensive cover note from your insurers to show them? (insurance given on VIN)

if importing you are allowed to drive from port to home without plates.

If I am not wrong and memory serves me correctly

Is there something written on everything that you want to know about Importing by either MelE, Briank Kirby Derek or Clive ?????

I know I have seen this discussed somewhere My memory escapes me maybe, Its a facts sheet written by MelE and you send money to the

Mc kentire Project something like that . Can anyone refresh my memory ?... (^)

Having read the gov. site on how to register and other peoples experiances it seems there is more likelyhood of an inspection before registering now than ever, so the dealers plan seems a no-no.

It also says you should have the vehicle transported from the port to "avoid problems", so I guess that means you can drive it without plates but they don't like it!

As long as it was insured and the ferry people will take it I guess there may be no problem, It's just that driving a vehicle without plates through customs is bound to raise a few questions! So I need to get my fact straight first.

Maybe Germany would be easier!

Guest JudgeMental
Kev. - 2007-09-13 5:55 PM

Having read the gov. site on how to register and other peoples experiances it seems there is more likelyhood of an inspection before registering now than ever, so the dealers plan seems a no-no.

It also says you should have the vehicle transported from the port to "avoid problems", so I guess that means you can drive it without plates but they don't like it!

As long as it was insured and the ferry people will take it I guess there may be no problem, It's just that driving a vehicle without plates through customs is bound to raise a few questions! So I need to get my fact straight first.

Maybe Germany would be easier!

As long as insured, have the bill of sale from dealer. the COC (certificate of conformity) you will need this to register with DVLA.

I imported from Belgium this time, inspected by DVLA wimbeldon and they insisted on MPH speedo, which delayed things by a couple of weeks as not in stock with Ford...

Brian Kirby imported his last Burstner from Calais camping in Calais. and I believe they drove him to port. He is away on holidays at the moment in his new Hobby. but only one I can think of with French export experience.........

where fin France are you buying from. and what manufacturer and model have you chosen?

its either legal or not to drive. have you the "import pack" from the DVLA?

Archived