good garage required for replacing cambelt on 2005 Fiat Ducato 2.8 (ford x244 engine) in glasgow area

I think that motorhomejoe would be well advised to reassess what his vehicle is.

Fiat (now Stellantis) make the Ducato.  The x244 version was made from 2002 until 2006, and was  a revamp (rather more than a facelift) of the earlier x230 version.  I am not aware of a Ford engine being fitted to the x244, although a 2.2 litre Ford Puma engine was an option for the later 2006 onwards x250 version.

The 2.8jtd (Sofim 8140.43s) engine was a popular option for the x244 version of the Ducato model.

Alan

Edited by Alanb

Hi,

You could try (ring first) as they come well recommended 

The Garage Wishaw Ltd

70A Elison Court , Motherwell.  ML1 2DN

01698 265303

I think it may be called SVS Autocentre now

Regards

Edited by onecal

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

As regards the engine, when I had the cambelt replaced a few years ago the garage told me it is a Ford x244 engine.

When i recently requested a quote for the job I now want done I was also told it is a Ford engine.

19 hours ago, motorhomejoe said:

Thanks for the replies.

As regards the engine, when I had the cambelt replaced a few years ago the garage told me it is a Ford x244 engine.

When i recently requested a quote for the job I now want done I was also told it is a Ford engine.

This link is to the Wikipedia "Fiat Ducato" entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

My understanding is that the “X” prefix of the designator (X230, X244, X250, etc.) just defines the ‘project’ that deals with a particular vehicle type and, where Ducato is concerned, it's a convenient 'shorthand' way of referring to vehicles built with a particular specification during a defined time period. 

Ducato X244 vehicles were built within the 2002-2006 time period and (as you'll see from the Wikipedia data I have copied below) 

image.png.a8f10630a44100f25a37cc9b6202d701.png

two 2.8litre motors were used - an Iveco 8140.43S unit (2002-2006) or a more powerful Iveco 8140.43N unit (2004-2006). You haven't provided details of the make/model of motorhome that you own, but - if it is right-hand-drive - it's near certain that it will have the Iveco 8140.43S motor.

A Ford-built 2.2litre "Puma" motor (mentioned by Alanb above) was available for Ducato from 2007 (or mid-2006 to be finicky) to 2010, but these Ducatos are referred to generically as "X250" models, not "X244". Ford motors were never fitted to Ducato X244 vehicles and the 2.8litre unit was manufactured in Iveco's Italian motor-production factory.

More on Ducato model variants in this 2013 Fiat Forum discussion

https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/understanding-all-the-model-varieants.340040/

A couple of online mentions (2017 and 2019) of the Motorhome Repair Centre (Glasgow)

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/caravan-motorhome-chat/service-centre-in-glasgow/

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/glasgow-mot.193814/

To put it simply, a 2005 2.8 litre Fiat Ducato will be fitted with nothing other than a 2.8jtd (Sofim 8140.43) engine.  The "power" version, 8140.43n, with a variable vane turbo is relatively rare.

To resolve the engine type, may I suggest that @motorhomejoe looks at the VIN plate on his vehicle.  I expect the VIN to begin with ZFA244, indicating a 244 model.  The engine type will be stated next to the heading "MOTORE" and will most probably be 8140.43s.

Attached is a photo of a 2.8jtd engine with the engine cover and two large intercooler pipes across the front removed, so some imagination required.

I do not live in the Glasgow, and am therefore unable to recommend a garage there.  However if the vehicle is an "A" class with consequential restricted access to the engine, some garages may not wish to carry out the work.

I entrusted the first cambelt change on my own 2.8jtd to a respected local garage.  I was charged substantially less than estimate, with the excuse that it had not been necessary to change the rollers.  Some months later while working in the engine bay, I noticed that the cambelt cover was broken.  Investigation revealed that somthing like superglue had been used in an attempted repair.

I have carried out two subsequent cambelt changes myself.

Alan

Ducato 2.8 JTD Engine.jpg

23 hours ago, motorhomejoe said:

Thanks for the replies.

23 hours ago, motorhomejoe said:

I have now received quotes from Swinton Motorhomes - also known as Motorhome Repair Centre.

Has anyone on here used them ?

Thanks

Did they also tell you you had a Ford engine ?

Regards