Compass Cruiser 2003 leisure battery location

john T

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, John.

Compass had become part of the Explorer Group by 2003 and Cruiser motorhomes would usually have carried a "Buccaneer" badge by then.There were four Cruiser models - the 740 (6.50m long/4 berths), and the 750, 760 and 770 (7.25m long/6 berths) that had an AL-KO chassis extension.

This (old) advert for a 2001 Cruiser 740 

https://www.motorhomedepot.com/vehicle/compass-cruiser-740-2001-4-berth-u-shape-lounge-motorhome-for-sale

stated that it had a 2.8litre motor and (I would have thought) the 2.5litre (2446cc) would have been superseded by the 2.8litre for a Cruiser built in 2003. Having said that, in the late-1990s/early-2000s Explorer Group regularly built  motorhomes on quite old 'chassis' and the motorhome itself might then languish on dealer forecourts for ages before finding a retail buyer. So you might find that your (presumably) 2003-registered Cruiser started life in 2001.

This video discusses leisure battery location

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA9YVsbW30E

I'm guessing you have a Cruiser 740 but, unless an O&AL forum member owns or has owned one of these, I don't think you'll get a definite answer to your question. Places to look are in the engine compartment (probably not there), under one of the cab seats (might be there), in an exterior storage locker or within the habitation area.

Assuming that you've checked the lockers and not found the battery, check beneath the seating or in the wardrobe for lidded boxes and check for any removable 'lid' in the habitation area's floor (if there's removable carpeting, look underneath).

If you can't find the leisure battery anywhere, you may need to ask whoever you bought your motorhome from where it is.

You are correct my camper is reg in 2003 but the cab is an early one possibly 2001 built or sold in 2003 I have had many motorhomes including the larger Buccaneer so do know were to look for a leisure battery I can not find one in this camper, could the engine battery be wired into the system ? this camper is a 760 (2446) engine with an end washroom/shower and 2 x long seats/beds the fridge works fine and so do the mains sockets but nothing on the 12v BCA 27S unit Apuljack could not help.

A Compass Cruiser's BCA 27S control-panel was discussed here last March.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/topic/64876-compass-cruiser-owners-manual/#comment-716605

The forum-member  @Bub  who asked about the control-panel in March last logged on to the forum on July 20. He didn't say which Cruiser model he had bought, but - if you use the forum's PM feature - there's a sporting chance you could contact him and see if he could say where the leisure battery is on his Cruiser.

I vaguely recall Explorer Group, on it's 'budget' Herald motorhomes, providing a leisure-battery and charger as an option not standard, but I think that's very unlikely to have been so with the Compass Cruiser range.

This longish video relates to a Cruiser 760 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9WwpQiUAs

but (unsurprisingly) there's no clue to where a leisure-battery might be.

I suggested above possible/probable leisure-battery locations and, if I had checked there and still couldn't find the battery, I'd get underneath the motorhome to see if there was any sign of a sub-floor 'box' in which a battery could be housed.

The 240V sockets working just indicates that the motorhome is connected to a mains electricity supply and, when that's the case, the fridge should also work on 240V. Whether the fridge would need a 12V power-supply from a leisure-battery would depend on the model of fridge and its wiring.

I'm near certain your Compass Cruiser's electrical system would have included a leisure-battery and battery-charger when it was built. Although motorcaravanners are notorious for 'bodging', it would be weird for a previous owner of your motorhome to have rejigged its electrical system so that only its starter-battery provided 12V power. On that premise, there SHOULD be a leisure-battery somewhere in your motorhome even though that battery might be disconnected or dead. And, even if that battery had been removed for some unknown reason, there should be evidence of where it had been housed.

If the battery is not accessed from inside the motorhome, the obvious place for it would be in the locker with the large door on a 760's left side - but I assume you've carefully checked it is (or was) not there.

image.jpeg.6c9ac8c45d7434257b42fcc1d1910d1a.jpeg

As a fully operational 12V system with a leisure-battery/charger would be a normal expectation for an experienced motorcaravanner buying a used Compass Cruiser motorhome (or a clear warning to the potential buyer that there was a battery-related problem of some sort) the vendor of your motorhome should really be your first port of call.