Political Correctness

Guest caraprof

Guest caraprof

Whilst we're on the subject I've just heard this from my daughter.

Her boyfriend, who's a respectable 22-year-old, wants to rent a flat and to help with the costs he wants to share with another chum of his.

So off they go to the new block down the road and ask how much for one of the two-bedroom apartments.

"Are you a couple?" asks the landlord. "No, just good mates." says daughter's boyfriend.

"Sorry" says the landlord, "but we only rent to couples, not to single men. If you're a gay couple we'll rent to you but we don't like renting to two single blokes."

I presume that this is to stop them falling foul of any anti-discrimination legislation.

Guest caraprof
martin r c - 2007-09-16 8:48 PM That was total carp .mis read the post.

Now you've lost me. I gather carp is a typo for another popular word but I'm still not sure what you're saying! :-D

In fairness, I can see why someone would be windy about renting to a couple of mates in their early 20s. I'm sure there are very many reasonable lads in their early 20s, but it is an age for being, well, lads.

I'd deal with them on merit personally, but can see how the landlord might (incorrectly) apply prejudice.

I'm not saying he was right, but it might not just be PC.

Caraprof

Here we go again on this stupid over sensitive PC route that seems to have taken a grip on our society.

I beg the question, would your daughter get the same response from the very same landlord if she was to turn up & ask if she could rent a flat with her best friend who happens to be a female.??

I think not.!!

Thai

Yes she would Its quite common no single sex groups .

They don't want you to go out and score they want you to have scored already :D that way they figure that they will have a flat left :D because of course you would naturally be carefully where you dunnnshargin :D

And partying :$

I fairness to the landlord - single males 18 to 25 years old are the least reliable rent payers, more likely to cause other tenants to complain about their behaviour and rarely if ever keep their rented accommodation tidy clean and in good order.

It is this same group that has disproportionately more car accidents than any other sector of the population. A lot of insurance companies will not touch them and those that do charge them considerably more.

Sadly for those that are mature and sensible, the behaviour of their peers means that they get tarred with the same brush.

Don't label a clear commercial decision made for perfectly sensible reasons as being "PC".

The Political Correctness here is where people demand that these dreadful idiots must be allowed to rent somewhere despite the fact that the experience of the landlords tell them that they tend to be bad tenants.

One way round it could be to demand a £5K or £10K deposit on the clear understanding that this is non-refundable if damage/complaints is/are experienced.

Hi,

I shared a room with a few other single blokes, and we took very good care of it. We didn't even walk on the floor, used pads under our feet to prevent scratching the lino, dusted the lamp shades every day, took turns to polish the WC, etc. The corporal in charge of the billet would have been annoyed had we done anything else. Amazing how clean and tidy 40 blokes can be. Even when throwing each others beds out the window, we made sure we didn't scratch the floor.

The law says there should be no prdjudice on grounds of sexual orientation. The law is an ass. But I don't feel strongly enough about these lads problems to get involved.

Guest caraprof
CliveH - 2007-09-17 6:28 AM I fairness to the landlord - single males 18 to 25 years old are the least reliable rent payers, more likely to cause other tenants to complain about their behaviour and rarely if ever keep their rented accommodation tidy clean and in good order. It is this same group that has disproportionately more car accidents than any other sector of the population. A lot of insurance companies will not touch them and those that do charge them considerably more. Sadly for those that are mature and sensible, the behaviour of their peers means that they get tarred with the same brush. Don't label a clear commercial decision made for perfectly sensible reasons as being "PC". The Political Correctness here is where people demand that these dreadful idiots must be allowed to rent somewhere despite the fact that the experience of the landlords tell them that they tend to be bad tenants. One way round it could be to demand a £5K or £10K deposit on the clear understanding that this is non-refundable if damage/complaints is/are experienced.

So how do single males ever manage to rent a flat when at university? Most of them share to cut costs. I'm also intrigued as to why two gay single males are considered less of a risk than non-gays. Don't they get drunk, have wild parties and leave the place in a mess?

I'm fairly convinced that fear of PC legislation is behind this landlord's decision. My daughter's boyfriend is a really nice, bright and quiet type with a good job and would not have given off any 'troublemaker' vibes.

Guest caraprof
davenewell@home - 2007-09-17 7:31 AM Why didn't they just claim they were gay? Then he would have rented them the flat and they could get on with their lives the way they want to. The landlord's not likely to have hidden cameras in the place to prove they're not gay is he? D.

Come on Dave! You're being shown round a flat by a landlord. You ask if it's OK to share it with a male friend. The landlord asks if you're a gay couple. Most people who aren't gay would immediately say "No, I'm not!" It's a natural reaction for the majority of us.

If they'd known in advance of the landlord's rules then yes, they could have lied, but that makes them worse than he is in my opinion. Gay people should not have to hide their sexuality to live a normal life and neither should heterosexuals!

Student accommodation renting is usually very different to normal renting. It is more akin to renting a holiday home which must be left vacant for two months of the year.

All our clients that own property for student lets stipulate that the accommodation must be vacated totally for August and September. The student letting agreement is a stipulated 1 year tenancy based upon individual tenancy agreements which is fine if you have a short tenancy.

Multiple tenancy agreements for non-student lettings are a nightmare in the longer term – imagine what you would do as landlord if you had a group of lads in their causing havoc.

If you have a couple you can have joint tenancy so if you have a problem you can take action against both.

Thus you cannot compare Student lettings to renting a home.

Even so, one student letting agency we deal with in Brighton stipulates no all male lettings. They are quite open about it – the girls keep the place better and keep the boys under control.

With the last three bedroom house they let to an all male group of students they had constant complaints from neighbours about all night partying, rubbish and noise.

When they went in to renovate the premises in August they found a cracked toilet where someone had stood on it and this had leaked into the downstairs rooms causing extensive damage. Because the toilet was not working it was clear that the students took the occasional dump in the bath.

A partition wall had a hole kicked in it as had several of the doors.

The kitchen apparently had an ecology all of its own.

And people wonder why all male lettings just get the “You must be joking” treatment!

As I say – from the information available to us here, I doubt what the landlord did to your son, Caraprof, was personal, - I am certain it was just based upon experience and good business sense.

Yes it is not fair – but do not label the Landlord PC!!!!!!

Ask the question why more 18 to 25 year olds feel that normal standards of behaviour (and Driving!!!) do not apply to them.

In my humble opinion:

Political correctness is a bit of a bandwagon to jump on when things don't go our way and there are always two sides to an argument such as this.

On one side you have the minority groups who will use political correctness to their own ends as in Ali G's 'Is it coz I iz black? and the majority who will regard a perceived slight such as in Caraprof's experience a reason to jump on the opposite bandwagon.

I know landlords who have had their rental properties totally trashed by heterosexual couples with children.

I am sitting firmly on the fence and yes, sometimes it is uncomfortable (lol)

You can accuse me of either "Stereotyping" or being non PC.

Two semi's to rent. Do NOT want anyone from councils or the social, as once bitten twice shy. Damage and also "Well the council will pay for it anyway" attitude.But no truck with Gays/Lesbians/Hetrosexual students.

Mainly students from Thailand - who study at Leeds - as I know some of their families back home. And still have a lot a contacts, and even see some of them- families-when I'm out there on a mini work/holiday time visiting my late father's old business associates.

Maybe we've been lucky so far!!

Thai

Archived