Auto-Trail and xZent, a sat nav system that doesn't know where you are.

BDrainy

Have any of you found how inaccurate the mapping sytem is on this radio unit. Having used it on a recent trip, it constantly told me to turn back on myself after obeying its instructions at junctions. At one point it retraced itself back round a roundabout and parked me in the middle of the roundabout while it reset, even though i had obeyed the instruction to take the second exit. On the same trip it told me I was on the runway at British aerospace at Salmesbury and needed special permission to be there. I was travelling on the A59 around Salmesbury on a road thats been there for at least 40 years. its approximately 3/4 of a mile from the runway. I have today updated to latest version software,  i put the address of somewhere i visit regularly, but know it has a 3 metre high bridge to get into. When i zoomed in on the map, it put me about a mile away in the middle of a housing estate on the wrong side of a railway track. Absolutely useless

Hi

Has the unit been working without issue previously?

Are you sure the latest software downloaded  fully . ( Make sure your radio is showing a media sourse first, FM, USB, Then connect your USB prepaired flash drive to USB port 1) Also make sure you do a  GPS sensor update.

The Main System Software version can be found under SETTINGS > OTHERS > SOFTWARE VERSION INFO

WARNING: • If you do not have v4.1 (or higher installed) please install it first before update to v4.4 • the previous update v4.1 has a different operation sequence and differs from v4.4 So Check first as above 

Do a reset and re install the latest version of software again and your new GPS sensor update (The  GPS sensor version can be displayed again later by performing a reset). This briefly restarts the IC and interrupts the GPS signal, Reset will correct this 

The head unit may be faulty and may need replacing if all fails 

Regards

Edited by onecal

With navigation active on the device, go into the menu in the bottom RH corner of the navigation screen.

Scroll across until you reach "Useful Information".

Select that, and then select the "GPS information".

That should give you information on the number of satellites seen and the Accuracy of location. If it shows anything but "High" then I'd suspect the positioning of the GPS receiver is compromising the performance.

(Do let the unit settle on navigation for a minute or so before checking, as it takes a little time to "lock-on")

Edited by Robinhood

Hi bdrainy

You need to make sure first that v4.1 or higher installed first .

This  can be found under SETTINGS > OTHERS > SOFTWARE VERSION INFO

Make sure your radio is showing a media sourse first, FM, USB,

Then connect your USB prepaired flash drive to USB port 1

Make sure you do a  GPS sensor update.

1. Power on your device.

2. Wait until your device is fully started and showing a media source (FM, DAB, USB, ect.).

3. After (2) and NOT earlier – connect the prepared USB flash drive to USB-1 port.

4. Enter Home screen > choose system SETTINGS.> choose Others > select

5. The Start update pop up will enable the check button only if the USB flash drive is connected to UBS-1 port and the files are correctly extracted. Click now on the check button.

6. The device will automatically restart.

7. After the restart, the standard Bootlogo will be displayed for a short while.

8. APP will be installed now when the „Updateing…“ screen is displayed .The progressbar requires 8 to 10 min. to reach 100% and confirms with a „Update successful!“ message. In case of an ERROR message, restart again

9. The device will continue to boot and shows again the default bootlogo for a short time.

10. The device should now load settings and prepare initializing all sources when showing the main menu.

11. Now the MCU update will be executed and shows „updating MCU Software“ with a blue progress bar. Duration about 1 min., at 100% you will be informed. Remove the USB stick on port 1 before you press the OK-Button

Now do the GPS Sensor update

Open the device settings – reconnect the USB Update stick with prom.bin at USB-1:

Settings > Others > go to the bottom page view to "DR Sensor Update"  and select the line to start the DR sensor update

(2). The process takes about 1 minute

(3). Once the installation is complete, a success message is displayed and the installed DR sensor FW version is displayed, which is required for version check 

(4). The DR sensor version can be displayed again later by performing DR Sensor Version: Settings > Others > DR Sensor Reset (confirm to display version). This briefly restarts the IC and interrupts the GPS signal.

Incorrect input  is one of the common issues of the unit not finding the Sats 

Regards

I interpreted from the original post that there were issues both before and after any (attempted?) update.

Certainly, if any update was incomplete, then it could cause issues (especially since the latest update contains new firmware for one variant of the GPS sensor used), but if the issue was there from scratch/before any update, then it is unlikely that the problem arises simply from any failed update (Hence my suggestion of checking the GPS signal quality).

Quality of installation of the XZENT units has been very "iffy", especially by certain UK converters. Installed correctly, the unit should work satisfactorily unless it has a major fault. I am aware of a number of circumstances where either the GPS receiver has been badly positioned, or the USB interfaces have been wrongly connected (or both!). I know where the conventional place is to install the GPS receiver on a Ducato, but the F285 is for the Transit, and I'm not aware where convention would place it for one of these (or even if a heated windscreen would inhibit/dilute any signal).

Whatever, it is certainly worthwhile being on the latest software/firmware version of 4.4. The full instructions and download(s) are available here:

https://www.xzent.com/en/support/software/

...and note the restriction that the device must be on at least v4.1 before updating to 4.4, otherwise the (simpler) version 4.1 update should be undertaken first. 

I'd still check the GPS signal quality, though.

• Like 1

Hi

10 hours ago, BDrainy said:

Have any of you found how inaccurate the mapping sytem is on this radio unit. Having used it on a recent trip, it constantly told me to turn back on myself after obeying its instructions at junctions. At one point it retraced itself back round a roundabout and parked me in the middle of the roundabout while it reset, even though i had obeyed the instruction to take the second exit. On the same trip it told me I was on the runway at British aerospace at Salmesbury and needed special permission to be there. I was travelling on the A59 around Salmesbury on a road thats been there for at least 40 years. its approximately 3/4 of a mile from the runway. I have today updated to latest version software,  i put the address of somewhere i visit regularly, but know it has a 3 metre high bridge to get into. When i zoomed in on the map, it put me about a mile away in the middle of a housing estate on the wrong side of a railway track. Absolutely useless

I have outlined the simple causes , I have no idea as to where the GPS reciever (sensor) is positioned , we need the  original Author to tell us that .

Yes the positioning of the senor may play a major role in it going wrong I have no doubt , but as I have seen so many times the incorrect downloading to a flashdrive and uploading from same causes this issue very often. If the sensor is not connected or not recieving a signals it just may not allow the GPS sensor to update with the new software for same. 

The head units also fail  

We await BDrainy to get back to us as to "was the fault present from the start"? and to where the GPS sensor is placed correctly and it is actually fully connected  ? Also what software has he updated and in what order 

Please find attached GPS sensor update screens 

Regards

DR sensor update.JPG

Edited by onecal