Disability Bays

michele

Guest caraprof
crinklystarfish - 2007-09-19 10:04 AM

handyman - 2007-09-19 9:02 AM why do disabled drivers get free parking? (in areas where everyone else needs to pay)

Yes, and why do they get free prosthetic limbs, and why does the state give them a living allowance just because they can’t work. Furthermore, why should employers have to bother with them if they do have the audacity to want to work but are dependant on a wheelchair?

Sorry, can't resist this - 'dependant' on a wheelchair Crinkly?  :-D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do they insist on having the card (I.M.H.O) the wrong way round, They should show the picture of the disabled person so they can check they are in the car or 7 seater! I was in a cafe in Liverpool abit back sat at a disabled table, a scouse d**kead came to sit at the table in a wheelchair gobbing it "this is for disabled people" & ranting like the scouse's can only do so when he had finnished i very quietly explained-not all disabled people are in wheelchairs & told him of mine (which was worse than his) & to this day i do believe that I'm the only Northerner to shut a scouse up (lol)

Forester - 2007-09-19 12:41 PM

Why do they insist on having the card (I.M.H.O) the wrong way round, They should show the picture of the disabled person so they can check they are in the car or 7 seater! I was in a cafe in Liverpool abit back sat at a disabled table, a scouse d**kead came to sit at the table in a wheelchair gobbing it "this is for disabled people" & ranting like the scouse's can only do so when he had finnished i very quietly explained-not all disabled people are in wheelchairs & told him of mine (which was worse than his) & to this day i do believe that I'm the only Northerner to shut a scouse up (lol)

Know what you mean mate, know what you mean.

Almost everyone in Liverpool has a credit card, the problem it is someone elses card

Should the free parking not be means tested, as i see lots of people coming out these badged cars who dont look too disabled to me (but still are disabled in some way), and may well work. Why should they park for free if they work?

My father in law is loaded, but has a disabled badge as he has a weak heart, but parks for free everywhere.

Theses also free disabled parking at the start of loads of walking areas around here..............now that makes no sense 8-)

Hi,

I used a disabled bay once. In my defence, I only wanted to nip into the shop to buy a paper, and out of the 20 or so such bays, I was the only occupant. I came very close to "rolling in the gutter" with an agressive trolley-boy.

An E-mate on another forum was challenged by an old lady, who told him his behaviour was disgusting. He descibes himself as a 40year old, 18 stone skinhead (but he is a nice bloke). Even when he opened his shirt to show her the scar from his very recent quad-bypass operation, she continued to berate him.

Now, I know my opinion is not going to carry much weight, probably because I'm on your side, but I feel there are two problems that need addressing. First is that there are not enough parking bays to go round, so able bodied drivers feel a need to use disabled bays. (They may also be lazy, which IS inexcusable). And to many people, being "professionally disabled" is an easier option to going out to earning a living. I reckon my neighbour will continue to harass his doctor until he gets a badge, and will continue to renovate his house and walk his dog. No, I agree, some of the disabilities mentioned are definitely not easy options. But those who abuse the system are stealing from the able bodied, and preventing those funds going where they are really needed.

I fail to see why having a badge holding passenger in a car allows it to cross the Severn Bridge without paying a toll. But accept that a disabled dog owner should not be prosecuted for failing to clear up after it.

Two comments: firstly, Syd, I cannot condone your behavior this time. To wilful damage a vehicle even if it is illegally parked or whatever, is criminal damage and you are asking to get your collar felt!!

Secondly, whilst I sympathise with those who have, or who have relatives who have, a disability, there a a lot of people out there who are 'swinging the lead' in order to get a badge and, I regret to say, some genuine badge holder who will abuse their priviliges and park on double yellow close to a junction because they cannot be bothered to park 20 yards further along the road in an empty disabled bay.

Regards, Mike

And what about the people that are totally the oposite like me .

If you read I said I did not park in a disabled bay even though legally I was quite entitled to do so I had both children with me.

Instead we chose to leave it for someone less fortunate than the children so there are some thoughtful people out there who hold a blue badge also.

Michelle, nothing personal I can assure you. I have a (bad) habit of making sweeping statements and generalisations! I know that the majority of badge holders are genuine and honest. That said though I stand by with my comment early about the 'lead swingers' and abusers.

Regards, Mike

Mike Parke - 2007-09-19 10:15 PM

Michelle, nothing personal I can assure you. I have a (bad) habit of making sweeping statements and generalisations! I know that the majority of badge holders are genuine and honest. That said though I stand by with my comment early about the 'lead swingers' and abusers.

Regards, Mike

Possibly a "majority" Mike, but I know for a fact abuse of the "badge" is widespread. Part of the problem (at least around here) is how easy it is to be granted a disability badge, with it seems any minor ailment now considered enough to qualify.

I think its time that the word disabilty should be thought about in its true context. Not a case of aching limbs or short of breath, but where easier parking and location makes all the difference to those who really need it. Until then there will never be enough spaces to go around, and as for those who take up these spaces without the right to do so, then i,m afraid this has always been the case and always will be.

While I have every sympathy with Sid, vandalising someone else,s property is not the answer. Previous replies have already mentioned notes on the windscreen etc. but the only effective response is to report to the authorities each and every time you see this happen.

The police will take action, but only if you report it along with all the details, and photos if possible. The same applies at the Supermarkets, where members of staff will at the very least have a word with the car owner.

To much trouble? then i,m afraid if you are not prepared to put yourself out and try to stop this abuse then the problem will remain, and most probably get worse.

Hi,

Punishing the driver of an illegally parked car is "taking the Law into your own hands", and is strongly frowned upon by the courts. If you get caught, tell the Beak that you did it for fun, not because you were retaliating against something your victim had done. :-S

I dont "look" disabled but i am & i would swop it anytime to not be, i ended up having to give work up at the age of 54 i didn't want to but the Doc/Hospital/Maggie insisted  i have worked ALL my life never been on the dole or sick i have a disabled badge would you condem me? As far as asking the police to attend at a dispute ha ha you are having a laugh i have been dealing with them for years but with me selling booze i was the criminal, A badge IS FOR the carer & the disabled person on the picture NOT the 7/8/9 people who use the people carrier.

There got that off my chest!!!!

The disabled are an easy target, everyone, including the press, jumps on the bandwaggon and before you know it all badge holders are cheats.

This is simply NOT the case, the vast majority are genuine and never cause any inconvenience to anyone.

Tell me of any genuinely disabled person who has bragged about having the "Badge"

Hi,

My next door neighbour at my last house. Two heart attacks, and got a badge. Continued to walk his dog, restore a classic car, and build an extension to his house, etc. But he got his come-uppance......was caught drink/driving.

Most badge holdes are genuine? Maybe it depends on where they live, and the local attitude. I would be more convinced if they HAD to report their disability to DVLA.

Conversely, I would be happy to contibute to better facilities for those who really need them.

W3526602 - 2007-09-20 5:27 PM

Most badge holdes are genuine? Maybe it depends on where they live, and the local attitude. I would be more convinced if they HAD to report their disability to DVLA.

I dont understand this bit ? In order for the children to have badges they have to be on the higest rate mobilty in other words top wack if you're not you cannot be classed as disabled getting you a badge if that makes sense. So I had to prove to thelocal council that they were and give in all papers fromn the DLA.

The above posts have given me the spur to post something I am not altogether that happy about as I would be the last person to stop anyone from getting out and about.

But a friend of ours has a very elderly Father who she frankly is scared to go out with when he is driving. Aparently it is really bad. He has no lane sense, wanders al over the road, cannot park, pulls out onto roandabouts without looking but has a disabled drivers badge because he tells his GP that with all his medical problems he finds driving dificult.

His car has hardly got a straight panel on it but he still drives.

But who is to blame?

He wants to drive and I can understand why

But has his GP given ANY thought to other road users - bearing in mind I am not just including car drivers hear but people on Zebra crossings, cyclist ets who his daughter says he just does not seem to see!

Any thoughts ?

CliveH

Have you thought of having a quiet word with the Police? Sounds awful I know but at least then they could have a little social visit and see if they can convince him to stop before he does any damage to anyone. Failing that, how about dropping his GP a letter explaining your worries.

If I was seriously concerned about the driving of another person I certainly would try to do something about it to make sure no harm came to anyone, including the actual driver.

Syd - 2007-09-20 9:12 AM

The disabled are an easy target, everyone, including the press, jumps on the bandwaggon and before you know it all badge holders are cheats.

This is simply NOT the case, the vast majority are genuine and never cause any inconvenience to anyone.

Tell me of any genuinely disabled person who has bragged about having the "Badge"

I fully agree Syd, IMHO the genuine Blue Badge holder would all prefer to be able bodied and not require a Badge.

Unfortunately I sometimes have to park inconvienencing other road users, because non-Badge holders have taken the Disabled bays and it's not the safest option when having to unload the wheelchair for my wife.

We have made it a rule that my wife keeps the Badge, so it is only in the Car or Motorhome when she is travelling aboard and we only display it when parking.

At least I don't succumbe to temptation this way.

I know there are genuine disabled drivers, and I want to support them. I also know there are freeloaders, but I've been brought up not to be a snitch. The problem is how do you tell the difference?

If you have a disability, l which will last for more than three months, and is likely to affect your ability to drive safely, you must report it to DVLA. (Pick up a form D100 from your Post Office). DVLA will investigate, and take whatever actioin they feel appropriate. This can range from doing nothing, thru medical examinations, driving tests, to an immediate revocation of your driving licence.

If you feel that you need to ask your doctor for a disabled badge, then you should also ask yourself whether you should inform DVLA about your problem. My feelings are that you should not be the person who decides whether DVLA needs not be told. Neither is your doctor, as he may not wish to be accused of breaking "confidentiallity", nor of disturbing his relationship with you. The rules should be that if you need a badge, then DVLA need to be informed by the local council when they issue the badge.

Such a rule may just discourage a few freeloaders. It might also prevent a few accidents. DVLA try to be realisic about how they deal with disabilities, provided they keep to the rules even those suffering with epilepsy may continue to drive, and there are lots of motorcyclists continuing to RIDE after having a leg amputated. DVLA have to investigate every case reported to them....but maybe not if by anonymous telephone call.

A doctor may not be happy to report his patient, thats understandable. But the doctor should not aid and abet somebody who is unfit to drive by giving them a badge. And even if he doesn't give them a badge, how does he resolve things with his concience if he knows somebody is a danger on the road, does nothing, and that driver later kills somebody, or even himself?

The disabled concessions ARE being abused, and I suspect that abuse is costing the genuine sufferers a certain amount of sympathy/respect/support.

Lets get something straight here Doctors do not give out Blue Badges.

The doctor obviously would know about the persons disability because he/she is the one who filled out the forms for the patient in the first place for the DLA to assess if the patient is entitled to money .

Its not the Dr s place to say whether or not someone drives thats down to the person driving and the DLA .

If however the patient consulted the Dr and said hey I have uncontrolable Epilepsy then the Dr would inform the DLA.

When the patient first fills out his part1part2 DLA forms that should all be filled out so the Dr can see it if the patient is not honest enough to put I really sholdn't be driving how is the Dr to know.

After all the Doctor only knows what a patient tells him he does not know that the patient is a crap driver .

I really think that this persons daughter should report them to the DLA if she is frightned to get in a car with that person. ;-)

Archived