How Do We make "A" Frames Better

enodreven

Hi, Mel E

Thanks and I do appreciate you taking the time to have a look for those references etc, thanks

and yes I really can see the problems with the amounts of legislation, i did eventually find a section within and amendment to the 71/320/EEC regulation detailed below

Ammendment title :-

Commission Directive 85/647/EEC of 23 December 1985 adapting to technical progress Council Directive 71/320/EEC on the appoximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the braking devices of certain categories of motor vehicles and their trailers

As you well know I'm sure after reading pages and pages of detail i eventually found a couple of paragraphs that said the following

3.4.The inertia braking device must allow the trailer to be reversed with the towing vehicle without imposing a sustained drag force exceeding 8 % of the force corresponding to the maximum mass of the trailer. Devices used for this purpose must act automatically and disengage automatically when the trailer moves forward.

After item 3.4 the following new item 3.5 shall be added:

3.5.Any special device incorporated for the purposes of item 3.4 shall be such that the parking performance when facing up a gradient shall not be adversely affected.

But as you have pointed out earlier we really need to see what of this the UK took on board so to speak, so i will be very grateful if you can find the time to have a look for the references and also if possible a copy of your article in the MMM

thanks

Brian

Mel E - 2007-09-20 3:38 PM

Brian,

Just one point - you are quoting from EU legislation dated 1971 - the first two figures give you the year.

For a full list of EU Directives and amendments to date, visit:

http://tinyurl.com/2whc2t

and it will give you some idea of what we're up against.

Mel E

====

Brian,

That's pretty well it in UK Law also, tho' I'm writing from memory.

The way normal trailers and caravans deal with this requirement is, of course, completely different. They have wheel hubs containing a system that automatically stops the brakes from applying when the wheels move backwards. This means that each wheel on a trailer, caravan, etc., is specific to one side of the vehicle. Get it wrong and the brakes apply going forward and release when reversing!

Just thought you'd like to know . . .

Mel E

====

Archived