Water tank - full or empty?

mom

When putting the van into storage for any period of time the system should be drained down.

1. The quality of the water will deteriorate over a period of time especially in summer heat.

2. In winter there is a risk of freezing which may bring about the expense of replacing damaged heaters, pumps, taps and pipework.

I have never resorted to drying out the tank ,just opening all of the drain taps including the heater.

In winter I usually do the drain down when leaving the site. Turn off the pump switch, open all drain valves and leave all taps in the kitchen and bathroom open and in the mid position if they are lever taps. This enables most of the water to be shaken from the system through the action of driving home.

During the summer I always drain the fresh water tank if the van is not to be used again within the next few days.

To refill close all taps and drain valves, refill and flush through. Some members on this forum recommend the use of a propriety cleaning agent which is added to the water when flushing through, but I cannot remember what it's name is.

In 35 years I have never used anything other than clean water for flushing through and do not use bottled water for drinking.

Hope this helps

Archived