new tyres

Dave Newell

I need to replace two f the tyres on my motorhome so I decided to fit a pair of M+S ones on the front. I went to my usual tyre supplier and they finally gave in saying that none of their suppliers did commercial vehicle tyres in M+S patterns.

I tried the WWW and found mytyres.co.uk and within five minutes had ordered a pair of Toyo 185/14 8ply commercial tyres in M+S tread pattern for the grand sum of £38 each! They should be delivered in a few days then I'll get my usual tyre supplier to fit them.

D.

One of the things that convinced me was that each brand of tyre listed had a report alongside it which gives a score of 1 to 6 against several key areas including tyre wear, dry road traction, wet road traction, snow traction, road noise inside, road noise outside etc. 1 is best 6 is worst and it gives the scores for each category, how many miles the test tyres did and an average score overall. The Toyos scored 1.7 average and beat all other listed tyres in everything but road noise, the others included Good Year and Bridgestone as well as some lesser known brands.

If anyone else needs tyres I'd suggest you give this site a look before you buy elsewhere although obviously you'll need to arrange to have them fitted.

D.

In edit: heres the link to the site: http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

Well the tyres that are currently on the front are bloody awful for traction, I've even had wheel slip when pulling away uphill on a dry road. Having said that we've only got stuck on soft ground once and even M+S tyres wouldn't have prevented that as the wheels just sank into the soft ground. I'll report on the tyres performance later but it will be a while before we use the 'van again.

D.

I used Gislaved M&S on my VW very good but a soft compound tyre, so mileage was reduced. Another problem is if balance and tracking isn't spot on you get uneven wear and the blocks on the outside tread edge create a lot of noise. Any Viking tyre dealer will be able to get them for you (NB by Viking I mean the tyre manufacturer not the race!!)

Don't forget to check, when the "new" tyres are offered to you - via internet or from a garage - the actual manufacture date code stamped on the sidewall.

If you don't you could find you've just bought one, two or even three year old tyres.

It's very important, because tyre rubber compounds degrade over time, whether attached to your wheels, or sitting on a shelf.

If you don't know how the EU-wide 4 digit date code works, just google for it.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Well the new tyres have just arrived, they have a date code of 1507 meaning they were made in week 15 of 2007. Load index of 100 meaning they can carry up to 800KGs each, ample for my motorhome and a speed rating of R which means they're good for 106MPH, a speed they'll never see on this vehicle.

D.

Archived