Jump to content

Legal advice re park home required please!


Recommended Posts



I am making enquiries on behalf of my parents who purchased a mobile home about six months ago.


Since they moved in, they have encountered any number of problems, the vast majority of which relate to the site owners failing to meet their contractual obligations, the shoddy nature of works such as drainage and landscaping performed by the site owners’ appointed building and landscape contractors, and the contemptuous manner in which they have been treated by the site owners.


My parents have already been to the local Citizens’ Advice Bureau, and were advised to write to the site owners listing their grievances and giving them a period of (I believe) four weeks before they considered the possibility of legal action. Unsurprisingly, the site owners did not bother to reply.


Following correspondence with a legal expert who has a column with one of the magazines devoted to mobile homes, my parents employed (at considerable expense to themselves) a surveyor, who has advised them that remedial work (estimated to be at least £3,000) is required to rectify damage to their home caused by the initial concrete base being poorly laid. I understand that the site owner would be under no compulsion to perform the remedial work themselves. In addition, I believe my parents could pay for the cost of the works themselves and then claim reimbursement of the costs from the site owners, but given the site owners’ past record, this is extremely unlikely to happen.


I believe my parents are entitled to some form of legal redress and/or financial compensation for the distress, inconvenience and expense. However, I do not know how to initiate the procedure for claiming it. Would any of you legal experts out there be able to assist?


Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry but I don't know about the legal situation but there is a group called the "Park Home Owners Association" try a google search for address.


I believe it is only £5 to join.


They wouldn't be on a new site in Kings Lynn would they run by a guy called I think Crickmore.


If so my advice would be to sell and get off the site as soon as poss. He is notorious in the Park home business.


Hope they manage to get it sorted.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest caraprof

It sounds to me as if they've a strong case. They have two options.

1. Employ a solicitor. If they win their fees will be paid by the other party.

2. Issue a County Court Summons themselves. This is very easy to do and if they win the site owner obviously has assets so they should have no trouble getting paid.

If thet go route 2 they must send the site owner a recorded-delivery letter giving him a reasonable time to reply and offer a solution, say 14 days. If they get nowhere with that they should then issue the summons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Firstly, make sure they have a chance of winning before going down the route of actually taking this to court. I'm not saying that they haven't had problems, I really feel for them, but it doesn't mean that they would necessarily win any case they brought.


They need some specialist independent advice, get in touch with the organisation PeteS mentions, and see if there are any other such organisations who could help. Then see if they can get an appointment with a recommended solicitor, one who knows what he/she is talking about - a lot will give you a free initial consulation but make sure they make the most of this by being well prepared, they don't want to use it up by telling of personal woes and chatting, this is not meant to be critical of anyone, but unfortunately most people do this as it's easy to fall ito the trap of talking to them like friends. They need to make the most of this free time by putting over their points concisely and clearly and then they should come away with some good advice.


Even taking something to County Court doesn't mean that they'll win, they still have to convince a Judge that they have been wronged and the other side can riggle like hell to get out of it, telling lies etc. They really do need good factual provable evidence to support their 'prosecution' so it must really be done carefully. If they do win, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to be out of the woods. Depending on what type of case is heard, I believe there are at least 2 different ways, one gives leave to appeal, the other doesn't (it may have changed so again check first!).


Finally, have they checked what their home insurance policy covers? Most household (ie bricks & mortar), have a legal services/fees cover, so it might be worth them giving the insurers a ring - some have a free telephone legal advice service as well.


It may take time, and they need to be prepared for that, and there is no guarantee that they will win.


I don't want you to take this as being negative, it's being realistic, if the homework is done and the expert advice taken, the case prepared realistically and well, there's no reason why they won't win but it is by no means a foregone conclusion.


I really do hope that they manage to get things resolved on way or another.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...