Fantastic Vents

robin

Hi all,

Just back from Italy which was pretty hot, so thinking about additional ventilation. Initial thoughts are leaning towards the Fantastic range as they are reputedly the bestest and quietest :-> (and priciest >:-( ). Any experiences? I will also need to find someone to fit it as it will need wiring in, not too far from Milton Keynes?

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Hi All Thinking of air con for our "new" van but it is quite expensive. Van Bitz suggested FanTastic vents. What's the experience of those who have them? In very hot/warm/humid weather don't they just bring in hot/warm air from outside or are they more sophisticated than that. As you say £300 plus £100 to have fitted is a lot. They can be bought on-line for much less. Is DIY fitting a possibility for very non-tech people? Our current van has a Travelcool system working off 12v when travelling and static which we found to be ok but Vanbitz say waeco & Dometic are taking their versions off the market as they think they are inefficient. any views or suggestions? We want something to run off 12v as we are often un-hooked. Thanks in anticipation for the usual helpful advice.

Irene

We had some spells in the US a while ago and found it better to adjust to the heat sooner than cope with the differences of temperature.

On sites at night we were asked "Generator on or off at night?" If on we were sent right to the bottom of the site and surrounded by noisy generators. We chose to adhust and be near the shops etc.

LB

Guest JudgeMental

we had WAECO 12v/230v A/C fitted on new van last year. I was glad I did, as we were in Italy last summer and A/C made life very comfortable.

it was less then £1000 (Belgian EuraMobil dealer)

we used to bring a pair of cheap rotating fans before this....

We have the Dometic A/C unit fitted on our caravan and have frequently left it on low all night.

Did not keep us awake, I sleep like a dead man once I have decided to go to sleep but the lady of the house sleeps lightly, she never complained about noise.

Makes life more comfortable, well worth the money.

Ike I can thoroughly recommend the Fantastic Vent Company in the US and their product. I had one on a coachbuilt and transferred it to an A class for when we had dogs down in spain. fully auto with a rain senser I ran it continually at times. when it eventually developed a fault I contacted the Company by E-mail and they sent me the spares I required. I left it on my last van when I sold it. Worst luck! The van I have now has an omnistor regretfully it is no comparison quite noisy with no auto functions. Go for a Fantastic and instal it yourself - you can feed it from the nearest light fitting. not too difficult to do I can assure you. Auntygranty.

handyman - 2007-09-26 11:55 AM i fitted one of these a few weeks ago, appears to be pretty good. Got the turbovent with thermostatic control. (i think this feature is a must, if you leave the fan on all night) http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/erol.html#1X0 Link to the one your thinking of please :-D

Handyman for the price the fiamma vent looks good but is it noisy to run? have you used the van with it running yet? the noise wont disturbe OH but I am a light sleeper. Thanks maggy.

Thanks for responses but another question for Syd and Judge. Presumably your air con works only on mains when on site? The vanbitz guy says if you run air con off 12v it would kill the battery in seconds. Our Travelcool works off 12v when static but it's not an air con system.

Auntygranty - Don't think we''ll attempt the DIY route but may well order from USA and have our auto electrician do it for us. Thanks again.

Irene

Can you confirm that it replaces the roof light? Ta much

ike - 2008-03-27 5:59 PM

Thanks for responses but another question for Syd and Judge. Presumably your air con works only on mains when on site? The vanbitz guy says if you run air con off 12v it would kill the battery in seconds. Our Travelcool works off 12v when static but it's not an air con system.

Auntygranty - Don't think we''ll attempt the DIY route but may well order from USA and have our auto electrician do it for us. Thanks again.

Irene

Can you confirm that it replaces the roof light? Ta much

The vanbitz guy is absolutely right regarding flattening your battery quickly, much longer than seconds though, and for running it from the mains hookup. Really the 12v running is only for when you are travelling in a motorhome so it can run from the alternater, defo not for running straight off the battery unless you take expensive measures to help your battery out.Love ours, did most of the wireing for the installation while I was waiting for delivery, then fitted it myself in less than one day.Quiet straight forward and good diagrams and it fits the standard rooflight 400 X 400. Our caravan rooflight was 480 X 480 so a bit extra work there

Guest JudgeMental

Ike, the only way to run a proper a/c system when stationary if no mains supply available is with a genny. either gas or petrol. and either one of these is expensive to buy and to run.....surely its cheaper to stay on a site!

mine runs on 6amps and is soft start. so most sites can handle it.

the 12v side of mine is designed to work ONLY when vehicle engine running. we have cab air. but dual system was bought to keep the kids cool in the back. but has turned out unnecessary, as EuraMobil well insulated and Ford cab air is efficient so I have probably wasted some money....I had a Fiat based camper 2 years ago for a month on hire (because of accident) and in Spain the kids nearly died with the heat in the back as the cab a/c was rubbish *-) so thats why I bought this system....

Brambles - 2008-03-27 6:40 PM £300 for what is basically just a fan!!!! Speechless. so will say nothing.

I'm looking for an alternative to very expensive air con   that will work off 12v. FanTastic vents may fit the bill, even at a fantastic £300! Still doing the research so thanks to all for their info. Our "new" van has cab aircon but we've still to take delivery and try it out and I note what you say Judge. We don't have kids but we have dogs who need to be kept cool/

Ike

Guest JudgeMental

If you are spending 30-40k on a new van a/c at less then £1000 (if you shop around) is 3% or 4% of total cost?. I achieved a 18% discount on my van and spent nearly 5k on extras getting it the way I wanted it.....

if this is to much to take buy 2 15 inch rotating fans at less then £20 and use an inverter. we managed with this arrangement previously. and we always go away to the med at height of summer due to school age children....

£300 x 2? is mind boggling - just to draw in hot air *-)

Archived