Ducato Based Hymer Front Crossmember

Fetch  Carry

Our 1996 Hymer on Fiat Ducato has just failed it's MOT on the front crossmember being rusted through, we only got this van a year ago when it had just passed it's MOT so has the dealer pulled a fast one on us or could it have got so much worse in 12 months, looking at the state of it I would have thought it should have failed previously.

Is this a command Ducato chassis problem?

Do you mean the crossmember that holds the radiator and a few other bits right at the very front of the vehicle, if so, then yes it is a common problem.

A friend and I went to Germany last year and bought 2 Hymers on Fiat chassis, both of these had rust on the crossmember, although I must admit mine is only surface rust, but my friends is falling apart. They told us at MOT station, that it wasn't structural so he wouldn't fail it.

After looking at it, it shouldn't be too difficult to change, you just need to support the rad to do it. Alas once they start to go they go pretty fast if left untreated, so it could be that last year it was ok.

Yep had found that at nice deals, it's plus £9.99 for next day carriage, our MOT place has quoted me £88 + VAT fitted so gone with that, should be done Wednesday.

The layout suits our style of using the van, we have two dogs with us and the wifes likes to go bed before me but doesn't like the drop down bed due to being quite short with poor eyesite without her contacts in, so she can make up the massive rear bed and usually gets joined by the staffy or both dogs and I can still lounge in the front end and use the drop down if I want. Also gives easy access from either end to the bathroom with the beds made up, we looked at front lounge/dinnette models but felt that having both beds up one end would restrict access to the beds and bathroom.

Also the big rear storage access from outside was something we liked, as chairs, BBQ's and outdoor stuff etc. can go in there and not have to go via the inside of the van.

We spent many months visiting dealers and shows looking at layouts and think we may have actually got it right first time :-D

• 2 months later...

Archived