Gas tank instead of bottles

Mick H.

Thinking of putting a gas tank in the jolly old Hymer instead of bottles.Any ideas please on the best and if it is a good idea anyway and how does the price per litre compare to the price per kilo.(mathamatician required.) Thanks in anticipation,

Mick H.

ps. thought I had posted this one but can't find it, so apologies if I have.

Hi

Roughly 2 litres LPG = 1 kilo in weight

6kg bottle hold about 12 litres

It is difficult to to justify just on gas price savings, more with the fact that you can fill all over UK/Europe with the right adaptors, instead of worrying if you will run out of UK gas

It is roughly half the price of Calor etc.

Chris

An 11 KG bottle holds about 25 litres. I suggest you contact MTH Autogas who supply and fit both bottles and underslung tanks. Both can be supplied with proper float gauges which tell you EXACTLY how much gas you have left at any point - a pressure gauge is completely useless (see previous post by me in the archives for why).

In both cases, the float gauge can be connected to a remote display that you can fix anywhere in the motorhome, so you don't have to stick your head low down to read it.

We have found, in the 2+ years we've had a single refillable 11KG bottle, that it's perfectly adequate for our needs - though we do have an electric compressor fridge rather than a gas one.

Mel E

====

Mick H. - 2007-10-08 1:07 PM

Thinking of putting a gas tank in the jolly old Hymer instead of bottles.Any ideas please on the best and if it is a good idea anyway and how does the price per litre compare to the price per kilo.(mathamatician required.) Thanks in anticipation,

Mick H.

ps. thought I had posted this one but can't find it, so apologies if I have.

Hi mick

You did post it earlier - see:

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9093&posts=5

So you are not losing it quite yet!!

Regards, David

We had a gas tank fitted by MTH - excellent job. The installation was not cheap (£600, but ours was an awkward one) but the gas seems very cheap and also seems to last forever. I have no real data on this, just gut feeling. We previously had two 11kg bottles. The reason for changing was to free up the gas bottle cupboard to take a generator, but it is great to be able to see at a glance how much gas we have, and fill up at a garage. Also there is no more lifting gas bottles.

Unless you have a real need for the gas tank, it is hard to justify it just on the price of the gas!

Guest starspirit
Maybe if you take into account that with an underslung tank you gain a locker which would probably cost about £300 to create using the Beeney Box or similar system it might help - but only if you need the extra locker as in a smaller van for long trips maybe?

Hi

My understanding is that you cannot use the tunnel once you have a fixed tank - is that correct?

Ferries are fine in the summer but i am not a good sailor and for crossings Dec - apl i prefer the certainty of a crossing rather than hold ups if its stormy and also i can retain my breakfast - most important!

Peter

icdsun - 2007-10-08 3:49 PM

Hi

Roughly 2 litres LPG = 1 kilo in weight

6kg bottle hold about 12 litres

It is difficult to to justify just on gas price savings, more with the fact that you can fill all over UK/Europe with the right adaptors, instead of worrying if you will run out of UK gas

It is roughly half the price of Calor etc.

Chris

Hi Chris, we live in our Hymer so cutting the cost by half would be quite justified.

Mick H.

peterjl - 2007-10-10 12:59 PM

Hi

My understanding is that you cannot use the tunnel once you have a fixed tank - is that correct?

Ferries are fine in the summer but i am not a good sailor and for crossings Dec - apl i prefer the certainty of a crossing rather than hold ups if its stormy and also i can retain my breakfast - most important!

Peter

Peter,

Don't know about the Chunnel - stopped using it because of very frequent delays. But certainly the tunnel down into Rouen bans gas tanks (as opposed to bottles).

We've has far more delays using the Chunnel than we ever have using the boats. And the total time saved using the Chunnel, including queuing, loading, unloading, etc., is not that greats - maybe half an hour or so.

Plus, the modern 30,000 ton plus ferries have such good stabilisers that the weather needs to be really bad before you notice anything. The Irish Ferries ship from Holyhead to Dublin is 49,500 tons - bigger than the biggest Battleship Britain ever built (HMS Vanguard)!

Mel E

====

Archived