Menin gate

michele

carioca - 2007-10-09 9:11 PM

hi all just one word of caution about this site we stayed there a couple of years ago & had 2 push bikes stolen realised afterwards that there were a bunch of what looked like gypsies parked up there the police certinally thought it was them that were responsible. still site very well located for mennin gate & town centre :-( *-)

Did you lock/chain your bikes? We had bikes with us, but we ALWAYS lock and chain them if we go out on foot without them and lock them to the van, as well as to each other. I'm not saying that is 100% proof against theft, but if tealeaves think they can just take a couple of bikes which are not locked or secured, they will go for those, rather than the ones which are chained and locked. We also lock/chain them overnight when we go in for the night, and again, lock them to the van. Don't trust anyone these days!!

Ina.

Digression I'm afraid - Ina, if you leave your bikes out and are worried about them, make sure you lock them to something immovable, like a lamp post, fence etc, rather than your motorhome. Someone once posted on this forum that they had had their bikes nicked from the back of their van when they were secured there, as they had not been secured to an immovable object (ie the van could be moved), they were, I believe, not covered on insurance.

Mel B - 2007-10-10 9:29 PM

Ina, if you leave your bikes out and are worried about them, make sure you lock them to something immovable, like a lamp post, fence etc, rather than your motorhome. Someone once posted on this forum that they had had their bikes nicked from the back of their van when they were secured there, as they had not been secured to an immovable object (ie the van could be moved), they were, I believe, not covered on insurance.

Gosh, never thought of that in relation to insurance. Must admit that we always lock them together and if there is anything immovable, chain them to that as well. Otherwise we have chained them to the van.

Will bear your comments in mind in future though, thanks for that.

Apologies for the digression.

Ina.

Sorry still off thread like you we always chain our bikes to the van when not useing them though that was ok. will check with Comfort Insurance to see, but at the York show we bought what looks like a ordinary lock but if you try to touch the bikes an alarm goes off and repeats every 10 secs. untill they are left alone makeing a right racket. At only £10 a useful deterrent when leaving the bikes. Carol.

Hymer584 - 2007-10-11 11:13 AM

Mel B - 2007-10-10 9:29 PM

Ina, if you leave your bikes out and are worried about them, make sure you lock them to something immovable, like a lamp post, fence etc, rather than your motorhome. Someone once posted on this forum that they had had their bikes nicked from the back of their van when they were secured there, as they had not been secured to an immovable object (ie the van could be moved), they were, I believe, not covered on insurance.

Gosh, never thought of that in relation to insurance. Must admit that we always lock them together and if there is anything immovable, chain them to that as well. Otherwise we have chained them to the van.

Will bear your comments in mind in future though, thanks for that.

Apologies for the digression.

Ina.

Hi, have you considered removable handlbars, you can still ride a bike without a saddle but no handlebars is tricky.

Mick H.

Archived