favorite Golden Oldies Tv

michele

Hi Howie

There were 2 officers: Geoffrey Sumner as Major Upshot-Bagley and Bernard Hunter as Captain Pilsworthy.

Good memory - no I have to own up I looked it up on www.phill.co.uk/comedy.

Thanks Bernie. Found the one I was thinking of and it was Frank Williams I was referring to. I believe he joined the show in the later episodes . Vaguely remember the other two actors you mentioned but not in connection with this show.

Forester - 2007-10-10 6:44 AM

Does anyone remember the give aways in cereal packets, the little diver you put in a bottle of water then put you thumb over the top & it sank to the bottom ,release thumb it came to the top.

Worked with baking powder
Mel B - 2007-10-10 9:19 PMThe Clangers :-D
Never realised you liked bad language Mel :-D For real comedy "I Didn't Know You Cared" and the first couple of series of "Last of the Summer Wine".Graham

michele - 2007-10-11 10:06 PM

Howie who are you two on about ?

I can remember Dave Allen & Jimmy Clithero

The Army Game.It was a top comedy show about national service Michele. First shown around 1958 and kick started the careers of Charles Hawtrey (carry on films), Bernard Bresslaw(I only arsked) Dick Emery and Alfie Bass. Bit before your time and I was hardly out of nappies myself *-) . Remember the Clithero Kid well, and it was a big disapointment when I discovered he was a 90 year old midget. Should have stuck to the radio like that famous ventriliquist who discovered the drawbacks to his act when he first appeared on telly.

Michele.

When I was nowt but a lad The Army Game was the funniest programme on the box. All in real black and white with cardboard stage sets. It gave birth to a later prog called Bootsie and Snudge (two of the characters from the Army Game) which was no where near as funny. For once it was actually an ITV prog made by Granada when up to that point the BBC had all the best comedy progs

Frankkia - 2007-10-11 11:36 PM

You are I think referring to Archie Andrews and the vent Peter Brough. When they went to telly poor old Peter couldnt stop his lips moving even for "gottle of gear"!

Think thats the one Bernie. Thought he would have seen that one coming, and if I remember right he was really upset about it. Never figured out how a ventriliquist got to be famous on the radio. :-S

Archived