Caravan Club Credit Card

Miami

A correction if I may, on the paperwork it says that for the 0845 number you dial, "You will not be charged for this call." So, when the phone bill comes in I'll have a shuftie. I sincerely hope that it isn't charged for though, I tried to get through again today about my lack of 'points', should've got 732, got 3!

After trying and trying getting an engaged tone, I finally got a ringing tone, when it answered I went through the rigmarole of putting in my card no etc, from it being answered to actually getting through to a human being took 11 minutes and 26 seconds (no I didn't time it, I'm not THAT sad, my phone has a default counter on it which runs whilst your on a call.) The chap at the end was very pleasant and said they had been absolutely innundated with calls from the Caravan Club card holders with queries and they would be sending out a 'pack' in the next week or so giving details of their product, services etc.

Oh, the answer to the 'missing' points - they had had a problem with the statements and it would be corrected on the next one out in November ... here's hoping ....

Just had my first bill from Goldfish and it will be my last!

They just gave me a total "transferred" from the old card with no breakdown so I don't even know what I spent it on. Now I have to pay for phone calls to an 0845 number to try to find out.

No DD either!

And when you read the small print it says that the site night vouchers will be "at participating sites" Now I have a choice of a Camping Cheque (£10. 30) or a CC voucher, worth up to £20! Tough choice? So how long before "participating sites" ceases to be all of them?

Goodbye caravan Club Card...

Mel B - 2007-10-16 9:22 PM

A correction if I may, on the paperwork it says that for the 0845 number you dial, "You will not be charged for this call." So, when the phone bill comes in I'll have a shuftie.

Mel,

0845 numbers are chargeable. End of story. You will pay :-(

0845 numbers: Calls provided by BT will be charged at up to 4 pence per minute. A call set-up fee of 3 pence per call applies to calls from residential lines. A minimum call charge of 5.9 pence (inc VAT) applies to calls from business lines. See www.bt.com/pricing for details. Mobile and other providers' costs may vary.

I normaly never get involved in a dispute but being quoted twice I feel should at least make a contribution in return.

I certainly do not aim to offend, I make my comments regarding the so called free-be offers by various CC Companies.

With a pointer perhaps to new and younger members of M/Homes that the "caravan type" credit card systems are no different to others in that the rules can be changed as we have heard recently with members having to spend more money to find answers to their free offers.

I find it surprising that well know members on this forum appear to be puzzled at being done over by a so-called new company.

Like it or not the system we live under aims to remove our wealth by any means possible. The object of any company is to make a profit, nothing is free, there are no free lunches.

I write as a tight old sod who owes nothing to no-one and proud of it. I'm old fashioned too and by golly I'm also proud of that.

My world is passing by much quicker now, its over to the younger ones to put me right.

PS

Charlie who is usually referred to is the Chimp, he was aged 5 years at the time of the picture. He lived in London Zoo and died aged 14.

Charlie&me - 2007-10-16 11:47 PM  I write as a tight old sod who owes nothing to no-one and proud of it. I'm old fashioned too and by golly I'm also proud of that. My world is passing by much quicker now, its over to the younger ones to put me right. 

Hi Ralph

I am just the same. Older and very much wiser which is why I try to find ways of spending less money and getting something for nothing. You are right, no such thing as a free lunch, but the art of that is to get someone else to pay for the lunch not you!!!!!!!

Ralph - 2007-10-16 10:02 PM

Mel B - 2007-10-16 9:22 PM

A correction if I may, on the paperwork it says that for the 0845 number you dial, "You will not be charged for this call." So, when the phone bill comes in I'll have a shuftie.

Mel,

0845 numbers are chargeable. End of story. You will pay :-(

0845 numbers: Calls provided by BT will be charged at up to 4 pence per minute. A call set-up fee of 3 pence per call applies to calls from residential lines. A minimum call charge of 5.9 pence (inc VAT) applies to calls from business lines. See www.bt.com/pricing for details. Mobile and other providers' costs may vary.

All I can say is it does say we won't be charged on the statement, the above says you MAY be charged so we'll see what happens when we get the phone bill. Whether there is a difference for us anyway I don't know as we are on Kingston Communications lines not BT to add confusion! 8-)

As far as I'm aware, ALL 0845 numbers are charged, to the subscriber who dials them.

I don't think there is any facility at all for the provider to back-charge themselves (as with 0800 numbers) - and as posted above, the standard rules are pretty clear on this.

I reckon you'll pay for the calls, regardless of what the credit card company advertises to the contrary.

Mel B - 2007-10-17 10:48 PM

We'll just have to wait and see then, but be assured, if we've paid there be hell on, especially being on for such a long time! >:-)

We will all look forward to reading more on this when you get your bill >:-(

Trouble with 0845 numbers is that there's no way to avoid paying them, even deals with "free" calls usually charge you for them. That's why Bill's link to SayNoto0870 is so useful.

They did get one of those PM petitions to try to force companies to provide alternatives but we all know how much notice the government take of those. :'(

Edit:

Just remembered. The reason you can't get it free is because the companies receiving the 0845, 0870 etc. calls actually get paid to receive them. So not only are you getting hit for hanging on, but Goldfish (in this case) are being paid to keep you there.

Another polite comment about "taking one's money" was on TV tonight over quiz and name the cat programmes.

It was said that 7 million pounds was taken from the public after the competiton ended, but they still did'nt say how much they took overall.

Shows like the recent Dancing one are self funded by viewers calling in, at £1 time (and more) they're on to a wonderful source of revenue

Archived