Info needed on a VW Autohomes Merlin - My first C/built !!

Guest Merlin1

Guest Merlin1

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and would be interested in opinions on a VW autohomes Merlin.

I have been into motorcaravaning all my life and my parents have owned motorhomes since I can remember so even though I'm just into my 30's, I'm familiar with past and present motorcaravans and the lifestyle.

As a VW fan, I have so far owned 3 1979 VW Devon Moonrakers but recently decided to trade up to more comfort. I spotted a 1996 2.4 VW Autohomes Merlin at a dealer at the recent Shepton Mallet show and bought it as it was in superb condition with only 25,850 miles. Although I wasn't really looking for a rear lounge layout (I was originally looking for a Holdsworth Valentine), it was an excellent van and probably the better choice. Low owners, mileage and looks hardly used. Also came with full awning.

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were about the Merlin. I'm biased because I own it ;-) but I think they are really smart little vans that seem well made and they seem to hold their prices. I have added a few little bits to mine and I'm really over the moon with it. Does anyone know if MMM or Which Motorcaravan did a road test/secondhand choice on the Merlin ? Did they make many ?? They seem quite a rare van andthe ones that do come up for sale all seem to have been looked after. Only thing that lets it down perhaps is no oven.

I drove it for the first time last week. It's tiny compared to most coachbuilts now as it's just under 18 ft but having never driven a coachbuilt before, it seems huge to me !!! It tends to sway a bit and is perhaps a touch slower than expected but then I'm not a fast driver anyway. I have heard that the 2.4 is more of a "plodder". The gear change is very slick, good dashboard layout and a world away from a Type 2 camper !

Any thoughts or tips I'd be really interested in re the base vehicle or the conversion. Can the ride be improved ? Or best to keep it as it is ?

To me, it's a great van and I can't wait to use it !!!

Guest Tracker

A VW based Merlin must be a very rare beast indeed as I thought that AH only made the Merlin on the Talbot Express with either 1.9 petrol (ex Peugeot 504) or 2.5 diesel (noisy but tough) engines and I learn something new every day!

I could be wrong but I also did not think the Merlin had a rear lounge - unless that too is a special build?

Autohomes vans in those days were very prone to body water leaks along the roof seams so check those externally and internally very carefully for damp or repair evidence. Repair is difficult, time consuming and expensive.

Otherwise they were OK, quite popular, and quite durable and the only reason that so many have died is cab body tin worm and van body water rot.

Guest Merlin1

Yeah, that was the first Merlin, built on the Fiat/Talbot with front lounge. Elddis took over Autohomes in the mid 1990's but still used the Autohomes name and brought out the series 2 Merlin built on the VW chassis, all had rear lounge with toilet/shower opposite the kitchen, similar I guess to a Compass Navigator from the 90's. I tried to post a pic here but it won't let me !

The Merlin was only available from 1995-1997, M-R reg.

I had a T4 based Karmann Gipsy a while back and yes, they do roll a lot on the corners! Also quite easily affected by sidewinds, trucks etc. I looked into this and there is an air suspension conversion kit as fitted to the AA T4 vans-apparently it greatly improves these symptoms. Unfortunately, I can't remember which company it was, but Google should be able to help.

Good luck.

Hello Merlin1,

This was our very first motorhome bought March 1996 and we loved it.

We found it easy to drive and park etc. Yes it is small but as a first motorhome is ideal. For me it was great going from a car to this VW and I found it easy to drive.

However we did out grow it and so ended up buying a larger motorhome. But in time to come may well downsize as we get older.

Enjoy

Mine by the way was a VW Merlin on a 1.9TD and drove very well and I do not remember any swaying.

We drove it in Europe and also went to Norway and did some passes and Fjords and it coped well.

If yours does sway perhaps see about "Airides" that help with that, they are based in Honiton but do attend many of the motorcaravanning shows.

Guest Merlin1
Thanks for the replies. What a helpful bunch ! I will certainly look in to the air ride suspension company, have seen them about but it's only when someone mentions it you think "Oh yeah". Just bought some chrome wheeltrims for it and some chrome trim to personalize it a little. Also just joined the Caravan Club, hope to use it this weekend. Yeah, I know I'm excited ! :-D

• 3 months later...

Just a word of caution, Your motorhome is a 1996 VW 2.4 with 26,000 Mls.

The timing belt needs to be changed regardless of mileage every Five years also the pump belt. Check yours has been done.

Regarding handling you may need to change the rear springs they may be a little tired. Air suspension does help a lot but not on tired springs.

Nice to see a VW fan. Happy motorhoming,

Regards,

Brendan.

You have the twin of my first motorhome.I always enjoyed driving the VW 2.4 but mine had been' turboed' by TB in Lancaster.It did wallow on sharpish,bendy, hill descents.

I found the brownish, but very tough upholstery a good mask for dog hairs,i ripped up the carpet and replaced it with carpet tiles and improved the floor join between cab and living quarters.Little else needed to be done,apart from some cushion padding between me an the rear wall /setee junction.

Sold on eventually as it started to leak from a badly fitted bike rack.

I had the back panel changed before trade in.

I travelled many miles in France with that vehicle.Fond memories.

Hope it gives you as much pleasure as mine gave me.

N

Merlin1:

I believe Which Motorcaravan published a test report on a VW Merlin in the June 1995 issue (You'd need to confirm this). I think all MMM Merlin-related reports have related to the Talbot-based version.

I've met several owners of coachbuilt motorhomes using the T4 chassis who have added MAD 'helper springs' to the rear suspension to counter swaying on corners and reduce wind-sensitivity. They said they were very pleased with the results and told me the springs were simple to fit. Probably a good bit cheaper than an Airide-type system. See the following for more information:

http://www.mad-suspension.co.uk/

• 1 month later...
Guest Merlin1

Thanks for the further replies - I haven't visited here for a while.

As far as I'm aware, the cambelt has not yet been changed. Saying that, I only have a few service book stamps so it may well have been done. I will certainly look into getting it checked out though. Anyone know a rough price to have this carried out ?

Have taken it for a few local rides out over the winter, just looking forward to using it properly now. !

Thanks for the magazine info Derek, will use the coupon in MMM and send off for a roadtest.

Have only seen one other Merlin for sale since I bought mine so they must be getting rare.

Hi Merlin

I had an Autohomes Highwayman on a Talbot Express and it used to wallow on the bends so I fitted Mad springs first and it did not make a lot of difference so I then fitted Airide and the difference was amazing no more getting sucked in by the big Artics and blowen out when they are past, and the difference on bends and rounabouts was also vastley improved.

Terry :-D

Archived