Choice of Space and Water Heating System ??

Ocsid

I face a choice between a Truma C 6000 series system and an additional cost option of an Alde system, for a new van.

These systems both deal with the combined task of heating the van and providing hot water.

Anybody out there got any advice please, particularly based on experiences with Alde systems?

I have only previously had vans with Truma S Series blown air and their separate B10 Boilers.

That experience was favourable in respect to the water boilers, no problems at all, but I have in both the last two vans been less than fully happy with the blown air space heating. I only really felt the van was warm when entering it but rarely when sat in it for a while. It also tended to stink of burnt dust however diligently I tried to clean the heatexchanger.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks John

The Truma 6000 is widely installed in continental motorhomes. The success/ failure of any blown air system depends almost wholly on the ducting and the vent positions and their adjustability - assuming the heater itself has adequate output. We had a large 7 metre Mobilvetta with Truma blown air using two separate outlets to two sets of ducting and it worked a dream. It was even ducted to the windscreen area so the pull-down bed gained heat as well.

I have no personal experience of the Alde system, but I would have thought that, being a hot water system, you are dependent on the radiators/ finned pipes to give you heat which is inherently less instantly adjustable.

Mel E

====

Guest Tracker

I too have no experience of the Alde system but given the nature of water in a water filled system added to the combination of a moving and vibrating motor home the prospect and potential for water in unwanted places does not fill me with 'must have' thoughts.

Bit then, as my good friends Drs Murphy and Sodde often remind me, I am a bit of a cynic?

Guest JudgeMental

I had ALDE on previous 2 vans and prefer it. It is more like domestic central heating in that heat circulates better and it works quite well just on electric.

Current van has the Truma EH which has the electric option and it's not very powerful on electric only. Plus with blown air you end up with heat at high level and not around your feet and not great for allergy sufferers as dust gets blown about....

My van is not to bad in this respect as it is winterised with double floor, so floor heated from underneath so nice to walk around on bare feet particularly in the bathroom. The previous van had the Alde underfloor heating option as well.

Was not an option on present van. given a choice I would say ALDE

I think it depends on the 'van and manufacturer. We have the Truma with the electric option and although it would not heat the 'van o electric only in a very cold winter it is ok if left on all the time when on site.

We tend to be off site most of the time and find that running on gas even in the middle of winter the Truma copes very well and is very quick to warm the whole of our 8.5 meter 'van.

The other thing to take into account is that the Alde with water circulating is a heavier system - check you have sufficient payload after the extra weight has come off.

My favourite choice would be the old Carver Fanmaster system I had, which had choice of electric, gas, or both, and blown or convection only (the latter good when no hook-up).

I have to say, however, that the Truma 6002EH in the current 'van has been excellent. As stated elsewhere, the electric only option struggles to warm a large 'van from cold, but if you heat up rapidly with both gas and electric, the electric is then capable of holding temperatures for significant periods. (A-class with temperatures down to about -7C as a test)

The output with both gas and electric running at once is truly magnificent, and gas alone is good.

The overall effect is very dependent on the routeing of the blown-air, and will vary from 'van to 'van (mine seems about right).

There is still a bit of a hot plastic smell from the Truma (and yes, mine has been recalled and fixed by Truma themselves), but I rate it as a unit.

I note the current Truma series of heaters are being replaced by an entirely new design.

I think if I were making a judgement, if the Alde costs more, how much winter use are you going to make? The 6002(EH) is perfectly adequate, the Alde might be less 'dry', but its performance will still be dependent on where the radiators are placed.

Thanks guys for all the time you have given to help me.

Still sitting here chewing at a pencil trying to work out what to do but thats just my way.

Wish sometime the builders just got on and did it rather than give options!

Thanks John

Ocsid:

I agree with JudgeMental on this - given the choice I'd opt for Alde heating.

As far as Truma C-series (Combi) heaters are concerned I believe their only real performance advantage over an Alde system is their ability to heat a motorhome rapidly from cold. Otherwise, the traditional Combi is noisy when operating in blown-air mode, has a heavy 12V current-drain, has a limited maximum heating capability on 230V (Combi 6002EH=1.8kW, Alde=3 kW) and (in my experience) tends to be unpleasantly smelly when heating water via gas.

I note Frankkia's weight warning. An Alde "Compact" boiler unit is, in fact, lighter (and, I'm pretty sure, no dearer) than a Truma C6002 heater, but an Alde system will be heavier and more expensive overall due to its convector radiators, expansion tank, pipework, etc. and the alterations needed to the motorhome's interior to accommodate this equipment. The cost/weight penalty will vary according to the exact specification of the Alde system. For example, Eura Mobil's 2006 UK catalogue quotes £833/£337/£583 and 15kg/3kg/5kg for (respectively) a basic Alde system, plus the additions of a 230V circulation-pump and a heat exchanger. So, to have the lot would have cost an extra £1753 compared with the standard Truma Combi and would have added 23kg to the motorhome's weight. Dethleffs quotes from 30kg-50kg extra weight for Alde heating according to the model involved and the Alde 'package's' specification.

Cost-wise, you need to be sure you compare like with like. An Alde system offers air and water heating via gas and/or 230V, so it needs to be compared with a Truma Combi C6002EH that does the same, not with a gas-only appliance like the basic C6002. It's important that you confirm which Alde unit is being offered (I think the Compact Combi HE 3010 is the latest model) and the power output of 230V cartridge(s) it will be fitted with. The motorhome's size and layout also needs to be considered - the larger the vehicle and the more complex the layout, the more suited it will be to Alde heating and the less suited to a Combi.

(As Robinhood mentions, Truma's long-standing C-Series range of combination heaters is obsolescent. "New Combi" reclines on its side rather than being upright and (according to the advertising blurb) is quieter, more efficient and uses less power. Having a modern, space-age appearance, it no longer looks like it has been made by a village blacksmith. Supposedly it has been specifically designed to facilitate fitting in a leisure vehicle, but I expect motorhome manufacturers will have little difficulty cocking up the installation in their habitual manner! The dreaded 12V electric safety/drain valve is replaced by a magnetic version.)

Archived